Setting up a driverack PA

• Members

I'm reading through the dbx driverack PA's manual, and I'm having some trouble navigating this thing, so I figured I'd ask for a little assistance.

The MRX528s are not in the preset menu. TBH, I'm not really sure what the tunings do anyway. Do they set the limiters at the rms value of the speaker? Is it EQ, or what? Should I try to pick the speakers closest to the MRXs or just pick custom? The Crown XTI amps are not in the preset either.

• Members

I figured it would be easier to just use the one unit. There would be less set up. As I understand it, I need to run a signal through the amp and limit it to the RMS value of the speaker? Can I just use a noise generator and my volt meter? I haven't done this before, but I would like to learn how to do it. Maybe I will just use the amps. We'll see.

• Members

I figured it would be easier to just use the one unit. There would be less set up. As I understand it, I need to run a signal through the amp and limit it to the RMS value of the speaker? Can I just use a noise generator and my volt meter? I haven't done this before, but I would like to learn how to do it. Maybe I will just use the amps. We'll see.

I think you could use a meter if it is true rms.

• Members

I book marked the site. I won't get to it tonight, but I'll look into it. I'm getting some help setting the XTI up in system architect, so that is also another option. A lot of people seem to think the XTI processing is better.

• Members
I book marked the site. I won't get to it tonight, but I'll look into it. I'm getting some help setting the XTI up in system architect, so that is also another option. A lot of people seem to think the XTI processing is better.

It is certainly easier to understand and not mess up :) .

• Members

What is the whole FOH/amp rack look like? If its close to something that's in the wizard you can always start there and taylor certain numbers to your needs. The DRPA is a great tool in the right hands, don't expect to just turn it on and go, the best thing to do is have it out of a rack on your desk where you can really learn how the thing works and how to get around on it. Personally I prefer the DRPA to any DSP in an amp (what happens to my HF drivers if the DSP is suddenly disabled? or I need to swap amps within a rack, do I need a f'in computer everytime I move something?). I've got presets for every combination of sub and top I own (about 10 or so presets) and the DRPA lives in the amp rack, prewired, ready to go at any time and away from prying BE's.

I don't know about the rest of your FOH setup, the LPF, output, amps connected etc will say a lot more than just what is needed to use an MRX528/Xti amp.

• Members

What is the whole FOH/amp rack look like? If its close to something that's in the wizard you can always start there and taylor certain numbers to your needs. The DRPA is a great tool in the right hands, don't expect to just turn it on and go, the best thing to do is have it out of a rack on your desk where you can really learn how the thing works and how to get around on it. Personally I prefer the DRPA to any DSP in an amp (what happens to my HF drivers if the DSP is suddenly disabled? or I need to swap amps within a rack, do I need a f'in computer everytime I move something?). I've got presets for every combination of sub and top I own (about 10 or so presets) and the DRPA lives in the amp rack, prewired, ready to go at any time and away from prying BE's.

I don't know about the rest of your FOH setup, the LPF, output, amps connected etc will say a lot more than just what is needed to use an MRX528/Xti amp.

http://acapella.harmony-central.com/showthread.php?2895085-I-m-moving-in-to-a-new-club...

This thread has all the info and pics.

• Members

I was mucking around in band manager and I found the limiter will actually limit the voltage. Man, that was easy ;) (I'm in demo mode btw)

As long as the limiters are engaged and the low & high pass filters are engaged shouldn't the system be safe to use?

• Members

Limiters always limit the voltage. That's how they work.

Right, well the limiters I've had experience with don't set the threshold at a specified voltage only so many db below or above 0. This is the first time I've set a limiter like this. It just happened to be easier than I thought it would be.

Archived