I have been really jonesin' for a Studiolive 16.4.2 until .....

• Members

Similarly I'm hopin' Apple will benefit from Job's passing...

Not sure about that...

Steve Jobs knew what the world wanted (not necessarily needed) before the world knew that it wanted it. He was a visionary and will be a tough act to follow. I'm not necessarily an "i" fan, but I do have great respect for him.

• Members
Steve Jobs knew what the world wanted (not necessarily needed) before the world knew that it wanted it. He was a visionary and will be a tough act to follow. I'm not necessarily an "i" fan, but I do have great respect for him.

He did have some weird fetishes - such as refusing to allow arrow keys on the iDevices's "keyboard". And it is pretty slimy of them to require free app suppliers to pay them to be in the app store - which is the only way to load an app onto your iDevice.

• Members

Anybody here ever check out these mixer

If I'm not mistaken, these are similar to the Behringer mixers that use an iPad, and it's just for controlling the FX. The rest of the mixer is standard analog, so it doesn't directly compare to these new digital mixers like the Mackie, Line6, etc. with features like scene recall and remote wireless mixing.

• Members

Great discussion. After reading what everybody has posted I am leaning back to the SL.

One thing I did, when I upgraded to the SL was this.

Since I was going from a powered board to the SL, I was going to need amps. A bunch of amps. Plus I wanted to do all the awesome things with a comp, and I needed a new snake as well. So instead of needing $7,000 with of gear at once, I bought each piece, one at a time. I ended up with:

Amps: (all used)

RMX2450

RMX1450

CX404

EWI 24x8 snake (new)

Mac mini, keyboard, monitor etc.

Along with upgrading from Gator cases to ATA cases as well.

It took a bit of time, every piece paid in full each time. When it came time to pull the pin, all I needed was the SL24.4.2, again instead of needing everything. After a few months, I decided to get an iPad and router for remote mixing. Since the 2 didn't have the retina display, I opted for a 64GB 3G iPad 1, for $375 used, and I paid $150 for the N-Band router I picked up. It was a great decision, and I don't regret the upgrade at all. In fact I really love my setup!!!

Picked up that 16.0.2 and did my first gig with it last night. Worked like a charm, remote mixed a comedian last night. 1 mic, 2 FOH speakers & 2 monitors.

:thu:

• Members
My only experience with Phonic gear is their powered mixers and PA cabinets, which sound like what you'd expect at an entry-level price point... pretty bad.

IMO their entry level stuff is competing with Kustom. I have a Kustom system set up at an acoustic jam spot that does the job OK. It would work OK for low volume "free" gigs.

I know about their audio analyzer, but have they done anything else that would indicate this new mixer would sound great, and be reliable?

It's actually an "upgrade" to their present S16/Summit mixer. I have one of those and it's well built and has the best on-board FX I've ever heard. Phonic is a Taiwanese company with a decent reputation over there and has some higher end gear coming to the USA soon. They do have a major distributor here but I'm not sure they actually have anybody that works directly for Phonic based in the Americas :( .

• Members

I couldn't tell from the description, but isn't that Alto a couple of steps from a SL? I couldn't find a price for that one. Says GC has them, but I couldn't find a price. So I surmise that the $800 does not include an iPad.

Pretty sure the ipad is sold separately and being my ex drummer that fills in for us from time to time already owns a iapd was just interest in the idoc type of mixer.

Personality I'm not familiar with Alto nor their quality and from what's been posted their not much better then Behringer so probably best for him to pass.

Anyway my vote is for the Presonus mixer and pretty sure that I'm not the only one here that's been more then happy with their performance and features. Plus their adding smarrt application to the mixer. Not sure how much smarrt features their adding? but do know they working on the smarrt spectrograph for starters.

• Members

There's a "pro review" by Craig Anderton of the Phonic mixer- he was very impressed, esp. with the quality of the fx.

It streets for $1900 USD and it uses a wall wart for power? Ugh. I know the Mackie uses a wall wart too, but I guess I expect a real power supply at that price.

That display looks a little small for a touch screen, but maybe it works better than it looks.

• Members

Given their $800 price tag I would say they might be a small step above Behringer I dunno? I'm just curious if any body use one or not? My ex drummer been looking at them since the Presonus SL mixer out of his budget.

My bass players roommate has an Alto board. Just a small little guy, like 12 chan maybe 16. I used it once to save from unplugging his board, connecting mine ect.... For what I used it for, band practice in a basement, it did the trick. The onboard EQ wasn't super awesome, the onboard fx were not that awesome either. For baseent jams, personal guitar vocal mix, it does the job. Would I take it out to an amature gig to run the show, Nope.

• Members
My bass players roommate has an Alto board. Just a small little guy, like 12 chan maybe 16. I used it once to save from unplugging his board, connecting mine ect.... For what I used it for, band practice in a basement, it did the trick. The onboard EQ wasn't super awesome, the onboard fx were not that awesome either. For baseent jams, personal guitar vocal mix, it does the job. Would I take it out to an amature gig to run the show, Nope.

Thanks for the heads up :thu:

Archived