I have been really jonesin' for a Studiolive 16.4.2 until .....

• Members

... I started reading about the new Mackie DL1608. My trigger date for the mixer was somewhere in early-mid summer. But the Mackie seems to have all the things I want plus I will get an iPad out of it (I know that's a separate purchase). So with a couple of threads going on this already does anybody see any shortfalls with this system based on what you have read about it? Any disadvantages over the SL? One of the reasons I like it is because of its size. I play with my friends and occasionally gig. It does not require any outboard processors ('verb, delay, compress, limit etc.) as it, like the SL, has everything built in so not having to transport that extra gear is a plus.

My equipment lineup will be 2-PRX 635's, 2-618 XLF's and 4-612's (mons).

• Members

As a fader jockey on another non traditional mixer (SAC) I can tell you that the first question you need to ask is are you OK with soft faders? Second question Are you OK with lots of layers.

1-8 layer

9-16

Fat Chanel loks like about 3 layers

each Aux is a layer.

I have the soft faders and layers on a remote tablet and I like them for line check, and for walking the room but when things get busy I am behind a control surface with real faders and everything I need on one layer. It takes a lot of real estate but I can get to everything RIGHT NOW.

Multi touch soft faders are better then mouse or arrow key control but you still cant move 8 of them right now with the back of your hand.

Your call. Other users of SAC do everything from a laptop and love it.

• Members

The Mackie was on my shopping list but I went for a studio live mainly because I liked the idea of having a real mixer to fall back on should the virtual mixer crash.

I have only 1 gig under my belt with the new mixer and although I mainly used the computer and ipad to control things (which was fantastic) I did reach for the real controls when I was under pressure (such as when there was some feedback). I think this will happen less and less as I get used to the virtual controls but its nice to know I can tweak a real fader if I have to.

THe Mackie hasn't hit Australia yet so I haven't tried it out but it does look great!

Good luck with it.

• Members

So with a couple of threads going on this already does anybody see any shortfalls with this system based on what you have read about it?

Yes....it's made by Mackie...

Until they can prove to me that they are going to start building reliable products again they won't get a dime of my money.

They will also need a significant improvement in there customer service department....they have about the worst..

• Members

As stated already Mackie rep sunk to the bottom and even read Mackie being called over priced Behringer.

Just heads up if you do decide to go with the SL mixer, it's very picky about which PC laptop you use with it, and is why Presonus recommends a MBP.

The only PC presonus does endorse is the Rain Livebook but they cost just as much as the MBP.

• Members

I use a second hand Mac Mini I picked up for $400 used. (probably $350 these days) not the newest one, but back a generation. 80GB HD, 2GB of ram, 1.8 duocore intel.

Works like a charm! Bought a monitor for $35. It came with a cord mouse & keyboard. Treated myself to a Bluetooth mouse & keyboard. Also bought an N-BAND router. The nice thing, is that this works for both my StudioLive 24.4.2 and my SL16.0.2

Mounted the works in an ATA case. Set up the monitor, plug it in and your good to go!

I'd definitely buy a StudioLive again, in fact, I did.

:thu:

They're starting to get a bit if a track record, what 4 years now? The Mackie will have some early adopter growing pains I'm sure, keep that in mind...

• Members

All good points. Thanks.

As I said earlier I like the compactness of the Mackie but as stated their reputation and build quality at times falls into question according to some on this board. The SL looks to be a fine piece of equipment but it is much larger than the Mackie which is not a major concern but a concern none the less. By the time I get in the position to upgrade my mixer the Mackie will have been out for a month or two so I can get a better feel for it as well as actually see it and touch it.

• Members

There are too many iPad-specific products out there for Apple to change the iPad "drastically". That'd be the least of my worries.

I'm waiting for a hands-on review of the Mackie but it's on my short list of things I'd like to upgrade to.

• Members
Mackie is hanging its' hat on the hope that Apple won't drastically change the iPad in future iterations. Somehow, I think that Apple isn't really concerned about Mackie.

Mackie already had to tweak their iPad mount for the "New iPad". I bought an iPad 2 to use with it - Apple's selling them for $100 off while they last.

• Members

Yes....it's made by Mackie...

Until they can prove to me that they are going to start building reliable products again they won't get a dime of my money.

They will also need a significant improvement in there customer service department....they have about the worst..

+1

• Members

Although I like the small footprint of the new Mackie, which would be perfect for our duo and trio gigs, there are two things that bother me about it.

First, the reliability issue mentioned above. With Mackie's recent history of bankruptcy (or near bankruptcy?) and distribution channel problems, I think that needs to be proven by early users before I could buy into this as the core of my PA system. If this was released by someone like A&H or Soundcraft I wouldn't have those concerns.

It doesn't bother me that it's tied to (maybe) just two generations of iPad. At this price point it's not exactly a throwaway piece of kit, but it's cheap enough to replace in a few years if iPads aren't available. I have a feeling that if this takes off, Mackie will find a way to make future iPads work with it. But I am concerned about reliability of the base unit, the power supply, etc.

The other thing is limited recording function. Unless I'm mistaken, it can only record the stereo mix. I don't record every gig, but I like having the option, and I don't record unless I can get separate channels for later mixdown and processing. As someone who plays in the band as well as mixing, I don't have the luxury of getting a perfect stereo mix for recording at the same as whatever's needed for the room. With the compact analog mixers I'm using now, like the Soundcraft MFXi series, I can just use the channel inserts and tap out a signal for my multitrack hardware recorder. There are no channel inserts on the Mackie, so that option doesn't exist. It's the 2-mix or nothing.

The StudioLive and the new Line6 can record separate tracks, and I think the Line6 mixer will be able to do it internally, without a laptop (a big advantage for me, compared to the StudioLive). So that's steering me more towards the Line6 mixer... if I can get past the cartoon interface. And if the early user reports are positive.

• Members

Mackie is hanging its' hat on the hope that Apple won't drastically change the iPad in future iterations. Somehow, I think that Apple isn't really concerned about Mackie.

Another forum had a discussion about connecting I-pods and I-pads to a sound system with a dock of some sort and a balanced output.

Below is a line from that descussion

"So far, the Alesis iODock seems to be the only product that tries to

fill this nice"

Today I became aware of an apparent issue with the Alesis product. It appears it will not work with the iPad2, Alesis knows this, has released updates that do not fix the problem, blames the problem on Apple, and claims the next iOS release will fix the problem when it comes out this spring or summer. Meanwhile their customers are left with non-functional products.

--------------------------------------------

Apple builds a great product, but they decide what you need and if you don't need it then it is forbidden.

Frank

• Members

If Mackie behaves the same way as it has in the past (back when everyone thought they were GREAT!!!!, and funny owner's manuals, too!), then we might be up to iPad X before it hits the shelves. The d8b "only" took three years to surface after 'launch".

• Members

Apple builds a great product, but they decide what you need and if you don't need it then it is forbidden.

Ford cars didn't have hydraulic brakes until Henry senior lost control - he refused to allow them. Similarly I'm hopin' Apple will benefit from Job's passing...

• Members
Given Mackie's history of dropping support for products, I'd steer clear of their iPad mixers. Plus, I don't think an iPad-only mixer is a good idea, unless you carry a spare iPad.

I'd not think the iPad would be the part of the system I'd be most concerned about. Apple does make some pretty reliable stuff...

• Members

Isn't Alto that small step above Behringer?

Given their $800 price tag I would say they might be a small step above Behringer I dunno? I'm just curious if any body use one or not? My ex drummer been looking at them since the Presonus SL mixer out of his budget.

• Members

I couldn't tell from the description, but isn't that Alto a couple of steps from a SL? I couldn't find a price for that one. Says GC has them, but I couldn't find a price. So I surmise that the $800 does not include an iPad.

Archived