Musician Seeks Advice

jackslappy

• Members

I completed the composition, and production of a ten piece modern symphony, utilizing computer generated audio earlier this year, and I have no idea how or where to present it. I've been searching around the internet for websites to find an appropriate audience of listeners who would enjoy these compositions for what they are, not for my personal profit, but only so as to coax more people to press play on the SoundCloud page where the music resides. I didn't spend 18 months preparing these works of art as an exercise in masturbation. So if anyone here has good advice about where this kind of music, that is, modern symphonic music, would best be shared on the internet, please let me know in a response here.

• Members

We're a songwriting workshop, not a showcase for already completed symphonic works, etc. That said, it's possible someone will listen and give you feedback, but that's not the usual procedure here.

• Members

I thought you got some good feedback in the other thread, which is what we do here.

As far as other places to share, I'm sure there are other parts of harmony central that might be receptive, facebook, twitter, youtube, reddit. If you're willing to partner up with other media and willing to cut it up, you could try video games or movies. That can be a tough nut to crack but just like there are countless people making music for the sake of making music there are people working in other media as well. Networking is the name of the game.

Find blogs that review this type of thing and send your stuff in. You'll need some thick skin, because you won't here back from most, and that can be tough, but you get used to it. It's nothing personal, they're either super busy and don't have time to get to it or they don't like it, and they're doing you a favor by not reviewing it.

• Members

I did get some excellent feedback here, which is why I want to hang out on this site. Those who appreciate music will comment on it from a decent critical standpoint, which is what I want and need. Perhaps I mistook this site as a showcase, but that error is corrected in my mind, and I can see that it is far better than that for me. I will continue to compose pieces of music, and, as I do, I can bring them here for critical appraisal by other folks who really care about the art. Meanwhile, I will lend my ears to the works of others to assist them in the furtherance of their artistic endeavors.

I don't know if I will ever find a wide audience for the music I create, and I don't know if that's even important. I believe that creating art IS important just for the sake of creating it, regardless of the aggregate number of people who actually apprehend it. That said, I realize it is my responsibility to seek for an appropriate audience or allow my art to remain a local activity, which it already is. That makes me happy enough already, but I can't help but think more folks would enjoy it were they aware of it.

Thanks again for your kind responses.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

Well, I've posted several instrumentals on this forum and there have been no comments on them except for this one, which is a little disappointing, but I'll get over it. As I see it, songwriting isn't only about writing solid lyrics. The writer needs to be able to compose a quality melodic line for his hooks or the lyrics will flop. Listening to instrumental music is a way to gain an understanding of how to do that because an instrumental writer must overcome the lack of lyrical content in order to keep interest by creating subtle statement and change in melodic content, as well as utilizing innovative harmonic blending. I work very hard to create these things and present them on a song writing forum for discussion and review, but perhaps I'm ahead of the curve, I don't know. I do know that a successful songwriter will either have the ability to write quality instrumental music, or he knows someone who can. Elton John is a perfect example. He doesn't write his own lyrics, but his music is outstanding because his skills as a composer are secure. It happens that he has quite a good singing voice as well.

My tunes are for you. Or not. It doesn't matter to me. You can download them free from SoundCloud anytime. If you think I'm a nobody, then I'm happy to agree - to a point. I'm the somebody who actually finished a project. How many of you can say that?

Archived