Ring true

I know I'll never, never

Follow through

Cause it's something I've suspected no

I guess I knew...

It's easy for you

• Members

I like it.

There's an implied backstory which is a subtle songwriting method.

2 lines to possibly consider:

Easy for you to

Not cry

maybe will sing easier as:

Easy for you

Not to cry

And this line seems to come out of left field without context:

Bells start ringing but they ring

But otherwise the song has a sparse simplicity that I think works rather well.

• Members

This is really great. Only thing I'd consider changing is the word 'perspective.' It seemed like too much word considering how distilled the rest of it is. There is something really nice between perspective and suspected though, so maybe not.

• Moderators

"Not to cry" is better. I was sticking to a strict cadence just to motivate the writing but I really like the break from it there and the more realistic speech as well. Nice.

I absolutely agree with OGP's reaction to the bell line. Though I do like the image of bells ringing true but here, for him, their ring is more clangor than chime. Don't know.

I hear you Rhino on "perspective". I'm sure I can whittle it away without any loss though I did dig the "suspected" foreshadowing rhyme.

Other thoughts on "perspective"? Alts?

I'm hearing an olde timey alt/indie feel of informal acoustic, simple upright piano and some covert synth bed; just a dark pulse really, with very intimate and quiet vocals.

Ideas are WAY welcome

• Members
I absolutely agree with OGP's reaction to the bell line. Though I do like the image of bells ringing true but here' date=' for him, their ring is more clangor than chime.[/quote']

Bells start ringing but they

don't ring true.

• Members

Hey Lee, this is fantastic, so simple, so smart. Love all the wordplay. So good.

* For me this feels like a classic AABA, so I'd love to see another A section before you go off at the end ("Every time I swear I'll move"). In fact I'd love to take a crack at writing music for it if you have none, but it would be a total standard-type thing.

* Only things that are a little off to me are the lines "Every time I swear I'll move / On through / Change perspective, my point / Of view" - feels like you're saying the same thing 3x basically, could be made more interesting with other detail.

* I assume you';re intentionally making us think your 'is it?'s are referring to what came before - i.e. is it impossible, is it hard. The melody will be key here...the more we're invested in that connection, the more confusing "easy for you" will be when it comes in. I think there might be some tension there. Hope this makes sense.

Great stuff, Lee, love it.

• Moderators

You are welcome to write music! I do have some ideas but am ok with a colab too. Have at it.

a second bridge will probably be needed, yes. The last verse breaks form as a build to the end. It could always be written to reflect V1 and 2 then later repeated as is or close...

Archived