Can't Stand Facebook "Singers" - A Somewhat Off Topic Rant

salislore

• Members

I am so fed up with seeing all these wanabee singers on Facebook posting videos of themselves singing. There's one guy that I'm friends with on FB (not real friends) in particular who constantly posts these videos of just himself singing all kinds of songs. He is one of those DJ's that actually sings half the songs he plays when he's doing his gigs. Sidebar: DJ's singing the songs is so annoying to me. People hire a DJ to hear the actual songs, not some schmuck singing half or more of them. Hire a band if you want live music!... The problem with this guy is he can't sing. He steps all over the music with mini runs and inflections (especially killing songs that are really groove oriented). But, the worst part is he gets his family members and friends posting how great he sounds on all his videos.. These friends and family members that tell these types of people that they are so great are doing them such a disservice. These people then go out and try and start bands and sing in public. They end up falling hard when they are judged by the general public solely on their singing merits. In fact, the guy I'm talking about recently announced that he's starting a "great new band doing everything from classic rock to funk to Bruno Mars" with him as the lead singer......now picture this guys voice type: Elvis ( a bad Elvis) trying to sing Bruno Mars songs......

I find there to be a similar type of problem with some cover band singers too. They reach to sing songs in keys or genres they have no business singing. But, people tell them they are great when they really aren't. I have experienced this in a band that I was in as well. I had to constantly tell this one particular lead singer that he can't handle the songs he wanted to do. He would tell me that he sang them at Karaoke and everybody said he did them great. I had to constantly explain that what is considered good at Karaoke isn't good enough for a gigging band playing top venues and that friends and family almost always won't always give you an honest appraisal. I have always sung backups and some leads in every band I have been in. I certainly know my voice has limitations. I have been told by respected singers and musicians that I'm too highly critical of my own singing. But, I would rather error on the side of caution than sing a song I'm not confidant I can sing. Some of these other singers have to be honest with themselves as well. I can honestly say that the singers in the top cover bands that I've heard and been in rarely, if ever, attempt a song they can't handle.

I so want to post something about this on my FB page. I certainly wouldn't be as specific as above, but I won't. I know some people will take it the wrong way. So I will leave my rant with you guys......

• Members

OK, I'll bite.

First off, so what if someone cannot sing and posts a video of it. What's it to you. If you don't like it, don't bloody well watch it, or at least any more of that person's videos.

If people that cannot sing go out and try it in public and fall flat on their face, well. At least they tried (that's me by the way!). Sometimes it's not about the quality but simply the fact that they tried. And all those people telling them how good they are. Ever heard of encouragement?

Singer can't handle the songs. Only way to resolve is real feedback. It's hard to judge yourself. Video them and play it back for them and be fair with the assessment of their performance. Seeing and hearing your own performance after the fact is a lot different than hearing yourself in the monitor live. What sounds good to you during the performance can be mediocre when seen afterwards (that's me again LOL!).

As for being over critical of yourself. I suffered from that problem most of my life when it came to playing/singing. In the end I figured F**k it and just got on with it. Am I great? No but I get out there, have a bit of fun and meet new people. I'm never going to be any Anywhere's got talent but then again I just do it for the fun of it, plus it helps build confidence. As the old saying goes. How'd you get to Carnegie hall? Practice, practice, practice. You know that saying "the meek will inherit the earth". Load of bollocks mate. Who want's to watch someone whispering into the mic because they are afraid of being thought of as not good enough. People want to go to see a show and unless it's REALLY bad, most times ok is more than good enough if the show makes up for it.

So off hand, I'd say get over it and move on because if everyone waited to be good enough for you, there'd be no one out there playing ever.

• Members

Maybe I wasn't clear about what I was saying. I really don't care if people post videos of themselves singing in general. I only have a problem with the people that really think they are great singers, that clearly aren't, and take the next step to go out and start a band and try to get "paid" to perform. If you are getting paid to perform in public you better be good enough to do so. These people think they are great because of all the, to use your term, "encouragement" they get from friends and family. That encouragement is fine when they are just posting videos for fun, but when they announce they are starting a band with the intent of getting paid gigs, their families and true friends need to be honest with them.

Your comment about nobody being good enough for me was a little crappy of you "mate". I've been gigging professionally for 35+ years in very high profile bands and done lots of studio work. so I think I have enough experience to fairly judge someone who clearly isn't good enough to perform at a paying gig. And how do you know what I determine is good enough? There have been tons of singers that I played with and seen in local bars over the years that I think are more than "good enough". If you want to hear a bad Elvis voice sing Bruno Mars, then go right ahead and encourage them and pay a cover charge to see them perform. I love how you put in your little digs at me and then throw one at yourself to cover the digs you throw my way. You made some valid points, but the personal digs weren't necessary.

• Members

You are right StratGuy22. But, I really feel bad for some of these guys. They get so built up thinking they are good and then crash and burn. I don't want to see anybody get embarrassed. Well, maybe just the one DJ guy I was talking about in particular. He's just so cocky and smug.....::D

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Why do you feel bad for them? If someone goes and tries something, even thinking they are good when they are not and they crash and burn. What's it to you? I just don't get your concern for the rest of us. I've had my downs/failures in my music career (such as it is). I got over it, I moved on, they will too. If you've been a pro for 35+ year's good for you. I've been a pro at my job (not music) for 40+ years but I'm not sitting in judgement on others because I been around a while.

Had to laugh at your reply. You complain about no reply then bitch about the one you do get but your worries about posting on FB because some people may take it the wrong way. Geez guy, get a life.

Moving on...

• Members

It's called having compassion for people. I don't like to see people embarrassed. Your lucky that you can take being embarrassed and move on. Some people can't and why make them go through it if they don't have to? Sure I wanted responses, but not one that attacked me personally. Talk about getting a life, yeah move on there Bud..................

• Members

i'm with the_big_e

maybe for other reasons

most people only learn on the hard way

e.g. our singer, she has not a great voice and does not always hit the right note, but she writes great lyrics to our own songs.

we also call her friend

all in the band tried to tell her over a couple of years, that she misses a note here and there, and that also for her it is important to practice, we paid her some hours with a voice trainer to get lessons. after the lessons she said, oh how boring only doing voice training and singing la la la, i don't need to learn how to breath etc...

we said *facepalm* nothing what we said or what we did, seemed to reach her, cause all her family and friends were telling her how great she was...

then we did one band contest, and the jury was also nice to critic us personally. *bam* they told her the nice way how her singing sucks, first time constructive critic hit her brain.

she did not show up for rehearsals the next couple of months then finally she quit. that was hmm 3 years ago

a year ago we had the idea to do a 10 years band anniversary show with all original members also with her.

for this one-off she came back and rehearsed very hard, and was very motivated. also her singing has improved (maybe she did some practice:))

since then she is again a permanent member of the band, as is also our male (second) singer. they fit well together, although both have not a great voice, and she also tries to sing harmony parts.

yep now she practice, everybody could practice more, but you can hear the result

all she needed is to hit the hard floor only once

and she also can now self reflect, when seeing an old video of her singing and she listens to suggestions from us and has improved as singer a lot.

will we ever be a great band, hell no, do we have a lot of fun, hell yes

on a side note: when she was out of the band, we had another singer, which has an absolute great voice, could be a great star, best singer i have ever the pleasure to play with...

but she didn't like to work on own songs, she only likes to do cover songs all the time, like piece of my heart, proud mary you name it.

she does them absolutely great, but so do thousand others, and not trying to do your own thing is just a waste of talent (not saying we would have been the right band for her, definitely not, but she does the same thing with all her musical projects....)

oh yeah and she is also not listening to us :)

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Archived