why did they discontinue the Ampeg GVT amps

ry1633

• Members

Apparently I'm behind the 8-ball a little bit (ha ha) - I was just reading that Ampeg discontinued the GVT guitar amps? Why? Were they not selling well, or were they having manufacturing issues? I played a new GVT in my local shop a few years ago, and I really liked the tone a lot! But I could tell the parts and worksmanship like the pots and switches were kinda crappy. I haven't bought a new amp in a long time so I was just wondering?

I wonder why Ampeg can't get it's act together and make a worthy guitar amp any more? 15-20 years ago I owned a VL-502 head and a VL-503 combo, both of which were killer. I didn't need that much horsepower so I eventually sold 'em though I kinda regret it. The 503 combo was just a bit glitchy due to some design shortfalls which I had my tech fix, but it was one of the best, most toneful, and most versatile combos I'd ever heard.

• Members
Apparently I'm behind the 8-ball a little bit (ha ha) - I was just reading that Ampeg discontinued the GVT guitar amps? Why? Were they not selling well, or were they having manufacturing issues? I played a new GVT in my local shop a few years ago, and I really liked the tone a lot! But I could tell the parts and worksmanship like the pots and switches were kinda crappy. I haven't bought a new amp in a long time so I was just wondering?

I wonder why Ampeg can't get it's act together and make a worthy guitar amp any more? 15-20 years ago I owned a VL-502 head and a VL-503 combo, both of which were killer. I didn't need that much horsepower so I eventually sold 'em though I kinda regret it. The 503 combo was just a bit glitchy due to some design shortfalls which I had my tech fix, but it was one of the best, most toneful, and most versatile combos I'd ever heard.

Ampeg has been owned by LOUD Technologies for about a decade, and ever since they seem like they can't get ther s!@t together. With all the other amp choices out there, it's was just another overseas made amp, (Vietnam) and probably the last thing you'd think about when buying a guitars amp.

There bass amps like the SVT 300 are expensive and made overseas. Junk now. Plenty of reasons to look elsewhere for that price, not to to mention the weight.

Like VOX, Ampeg is a company of days gone by.

The good news there there's plenty of great amp companies out there.

• Members

I think the best ones were made in the 70's. I live the tones I could get out of a VT40 4X10" combo or V2 head and 4X12 cab. The V4's were good for big concerts but overkill for anything else. The Stones used the VT40's on several albums like Let it Bleed, Sticky Fingers and Exile on Main Street if you want to hear the amps signature tones. There were all kinds of other bands during those years that used them too.

I think they cheapened up the designs in later years. The originals had black switches and aluminum knobs. They switched to White switches and plastic knobs. The pots and switches were cheaper. They may have switches to 6L6 tubes around then too in the Black Face models instead of the 7025 Tubes. They have reissued the V4 but its not the same amp either. Not sure exactly but I believe those tubes quit being made in the 80's along with another multi pinned tube the 70's models used for their tone stack and preamp.

They had to switch to using different circuitry to get their tones and with the budget pots and switches, cheaper panels etc they were never the same after that. They weren't horrible, just not as well made nor did they gain up the same. They went back to sounding more tame and less noticed. The competition did a good job steam rolling their guitar amps into oblivion. If it wasn't for their great bass amps I don't think they would have survived the past 25 years.

I have one of their Portaflex heads that are class D which aren't bad. They have the right tone but their usable wattage is typically overestimated as are most SS amps. The one I have is 350W and my old V4B could blow its doors off. I think I'd at least need the 500 or 800W versions to complete with the 70's 100W tube heads. Of course efficient speakers do help and matched with the Portaflex cab they are good amps if you don't push them too hard. Class D with its small circuits and small heat sinks has a nasty habit of overheating even with fans and shut down temporarily when they get too hot. Not a good thing when you're in the middle of a gig and have to wait for the amp to cool before you can power it up again.

If the company does come out with a good 4X10" combo I may look at getting one, but there are still good buys on vintage amps out there. If you recap them, get NOS tubes, and some newer speakers they can really sound great

Archived