Audiopile EWI 24/8 snake help

• Members

I sent an email to Audiopile and didn't get a response so I thought I'd put it here as there is a few people here who have the same snake.

""I purchased an EWI 24 / 8 snake from you some time ago. I noticed last night that the nut that holds the strain relief to the box inside has come loose.

When I purchase the snake underneath the stage box I put 4 stick on feet on each corner.

Is the screws to open the stage box on the bottom? ( where I put the feet ) If not how do I get inside the stage box to tighten the nut? I didn't want to remove the feet until I was sure the screws were under them.""

Thanks for any help you can give.""

Anyone?

Thanks;

Doug

• Members

Besides Phillips head screws holding the rubber feet, mine also has a Phillips head screw centered on the long axis, midway between the feet (in line with the cable).

Mark H. just recently returned from his Asian trip, so he may be behind in his e-mail. Mark C.

Edit: StratGuy 22 posted while I was typing. Mine looks like that too.

• Members

Odd.

Mine came with no feet and there is no screws in the middle or between the feet like in the above picture.

I have to investigate more today.

Thanks;

Doug

EDIT:

I gave a quick look at one of my EWI sub snakes are there is screws in each corner. I put the same stick on feet on these but the feet are smaller and in a different location so I'm guess there is screws under my larger feet on my main snake.

• Members

I sent an email to Audiopile and didn't get a response so I thought I'd put it here as there is a few people here who have the same snake.

""I purchased an EWI 24 / 8 snake from you some time ago. I noticed last night that the nut that holds the strain relief to the box inside has come loose.

When I purchase the snake underneath the stage box I put 4 stick on feet on each corner.

Is the screws to open the stage box on the bottom? ( where I put the feet ) If not how do I get inside the stage box to tighten the nut? I didn't want to remove the feet until I was sure the screws were under them.""

Thanks for any help you can give.""

Anyone?

Thanks;

Doug

Doug:

I haven't seen your e-mail come in yet; however, in answer to your question(s):

Yes, there are either 4ea. or 6ea. taper head phillips machine screws in the bottom of the snake box which holds the two halves of the stage box together. Removal of those screws will allow the two halves of the snake box to be seperated and will allow access into the guts of the stagebox, where the inside retaining nut for the mesh grip cable clamp is located. The 4ea. or 6ea. taper head phillips machine screws which hold the two halves of the stage box together are the only screws on the bottom of the stagebox.

And yes, there have been running changes in the design and manufacture of the 24 x 8 (as well as other) EWI snake stage boxes over the years. As I recall, the very first models I imported (in 2001) were equipped with black plastic ("pigtail style") stagebox cable clamps... although I don't believe we were importing 24 x 8 snakes at that time. As I recall, in 2002, when the 24 x 8 snakes were introduced, we changed the stagebox cable clamp to the metal mesh grip type. I believe that in 2003 the rubber feet were added to the stage boxes. Also in 2003 (as I recall), the inside retaining nuts for the stagebox cable clamps were "significantly tightened and locktited in-place" in response to a few reports of loosening nuts. Based on your description I'd suspect your snake dates from possibly some of the earliest models of the 24 x 8 configuration (likely from 2002 or early 2003 manufacturing batches). In 2010 the bottom screws were increased from 4ea. to 6ea. and also increased in thread diameter. Also at that time, the panel jacks, cord ends, and fantail shrink tube were upgraded.

Let me know if I can be of further assistance?

W. Mark Hellinger

m.hellinger@audiopile.net

• Members

Watch for those little screws coming undone, I'm missing a few here and there. Usually I'll just put one that's about right in. The smaller 8ch snakes I have the insulation around the start of the fan tail comes back a little exposing the foil wrap. I ended up stretching it a little and gaff taping it. The smaller snakes tend to take the most abuse too, the box is a little heavy for the diameter/length cable but any snake will be like this. Reminds me I need to buy some 12ch 30' snakes and sell off some 8ch.

• Members

Doug:

I haven't seen your e-mail come in yet; however, in answer to your question(s):

Yes, there are either 4ea. or 6ea. taper head phillips machine screws in the bottom of the snake box which holds the two halves of the stage box together. Removal of those screws will allow the two halves of the snake box to be seperated and will allow access into the guts of the stagebox, where the inside retaining nut for the mesh grip cable clamp is located. The 4ea. or 6ea. taper head phillips machine screws which hold the two halves of the stage box together are the only screws on the bottom of the stagebox.

And yes, there have been running changes in the design and manufacture of the 24 x 8 (as well as other) EWI snake stage boxes over the years. As I recall, the very first models I imported (in 2001) were equipped with black plastic ("pigtail style") stagebox cable clamps... although I don't believe we were importing 24 x 8 snakes at that time. As I recall, in 2002, when the 24 x 8 snakes were introduced, we changed the stagebox cable clamp to the metal mesh grip type. I believe that in 2003 the rubber feet were added to the stage boxes. Also in 2003 (as I recall), the inside retaining nuts for the stagebox cable clamps were "significantly tightened and locktited in-place" in response to a few reports of loosening nuts. Based on your description I'd suspect your snake dates from possibly some of the earliest models of the 24 x 8 configuration (likely from 2002 or early 2003 manufacturing batches). In 2010 the bottom screws were increased from 4ea. to 6ea. and also increased in thread diameter. Also at that time, the panel jacks, cord ends, and fantail shrink tube were upgraded.

Let me know if I can be of further assistance?

W. Mark Hellinger

Mark;

Not that old at all. I found a thread where I had just ordered it and it was March 2009. I must have gotten a new old,old,old stock.

http://acapella.harmony-central.com/archive/index.php/t-2287266.html

So right around 3 years.

I'll put up a picture when I repair it this weekend.

Thanks for the information.

Doug

• Members

Mark;

Not that old at all. I found a thread where I had just ordered it and it was March 2009. I must have gotten a new old,old,old stock.

So right around 3 years.

I'll put up a picture when I repair it this weekend.

Thanks for the information.

Doug

Ah... that certainly has my interest. The stock rotates fairly orderly. I suspect your's was manufactured in late 2008... the cable clamp nut should have been fairly well attached (difficult to loosen).

I've found that possibly an easier way to thread the cable clamp nut on and tighten it is to loosen the cable clamp compression ring (the knerled fitting on the outside nearest the mesh grip)... loosen that compression ring until the cable clamp can be rotated (easily) on the main trunk, then thread the clamp nut onto the clamp housing by rotating the clamp housing... rather than attempting to thread the nut onto the clamp housing with the housing stationary. Once the nut is back on and tight, then retighten the compression ring down.

Archived