Songwriting: How do you start a song?

arteg

• Members

Do you start it with a guitar riff or maybe with some words or sentences. Maybe you start with a musical phrase or motive that has come into your mind or simply by jamming on a guitar or playing a piano and singing along. Do you wait for inspiration, for some musical idea? Do you start with a melody or with lyrics?

• Members

Hello

It's a very interesting question! Personally, the process begin with a melody in my mind. I grab it, and I use my piano or flute to give it more sense & to enrich it.

Most of the time the lyric came after or while I am playing; by listening to the music and sort of undersrtand where it came from and what it is talking about.

• Members

Hi, it all depends, I`ll hear something said. someone will share a story, the news, and even sometimes reflections..Heard a line from a friend His little girl said in the car we were going to a small town, the little girl said.." how long Daddy? he replied "its going to take another mile or two" wrote a song around that..this is way more than you wanted to know I`ll bet...Lane

for me I hear a melody while I`m trying to write, then music.

Archived