How do you approach a situation where vocalist has stomp pedals?

• Members

We have a TC Helicon voice create thingy, that does things like reverb, chorus, transducer, etc...

Well something like transducer or megaphone effect, isn't that going to be a nightmare in the monitors?

So if you're sound checking this, do you go through each setting the singer is going to use, or do you just prepare to ride the controls, or what?

• Members

The "correct" answer is to split the mic before the pedal and use the "dry" signal for the monitors and the "processed" signal for FOH - but I've not run into anyone that is satisfied with that. They always want the processed signal in the monitors :freak: .

• Members

The "correct" answer is to split the mic before the pedal and use the "dry" signal for the monitors and the "processed" signal for FOH - but I've not run into anyone that is satisfied with that. They always want the processed signal in the monitors
:freak:

yeah, i would want it split actually (if i was the one using the pedal)

• Members

The last one of these I dealt (Digitech) with had patches that were not normalized, and the operator refused to set it up to give more than an anemic signal -- said it would feed back if output trim was increased.

Whatev.

Fortunately, he did not stomp on it barely at all and for the most part had it set for a rather mundane verb/delay that I easily could have given him.

• Members

stomp it and run. :evil:

i've seen and worked with a lone, single, one total player who uses one of those damned things in a way that is tasteful, well controlled, and adds greatly to his performance. no extra work for me at all. otherwise - those things just increase my workload and headache, which makes me really appreciate the touring pros (who i've not yet encountered using one, they bring their own engineers who do effects at the desk)

• Members

From both sides (guy who uses one, and guy who runs sound), I've encountered situations where sound guys have been accommodating, and some where the sound guys will NOT entertain the idea. I only ran into one person who wasn't me that wanted to use one during a show I was doing sound for. I said no problem, but he just couldn't get his box sorted out before the show and he ended up disconnecting it.

I use a TC-Helicon Correct XT. The important thing on this box is to have the gain set properly. Aside from that, I don't see or have any issues with this pedal. But it doesn't add any reverb or delays.

• Members

I've only worked with one. The band was a guitar/drums/loops kinda thing, with a voice processor. He used it the whole time, and it was hard to do anything with it. Couple that withr weird ass random loops and enough delay to make The Edge sound like he's unplugged, and it was a "hold on, the {censored}-show will soon be over" kind of affair.

Nice kids, but wow. All 3 bands that might were out there. Dare I say AWFUL!! I remember my roomie asking how the bands were, and I said "holy {censored}, they were awful."

He said "wow, that's the first time I've ever heard you say they were awful" I normally say. "well, it wasn't my thing, but they were good at what they do" I'm not there to love the band, I'm there to make them sound good. But wow this was one of the few times the booker had a miss.

Lol that was the kid that accidentally ended up with a newer SM58. Good kid, nice guys but wow.

That's been pretty much my only experience with any sort of voice foot pedal.

• Members

Yes, the Voicelive's do. You can send a dry signal to the board and then monitor that signal. You don't want to send wet and dry to the montitors if there is pitch correction on because it will sound phasey. If the singer's box does have a dry output you mix effects FOH how you want. Should help control the issues of too much effects, eq or whatever in the patches.

The thing about these pedals is other than the harmony function there's no reason to use them if you have a sound man. They make sense if running your own sound though. I've started experimenting with the TC Helicon Voicetone singles pedals because I sing and run my own sound and there's no way to adjust or turn effects during songs or turn them off during the breaks when I talk. In cases of running your own sound you have to monitor the wet signal otherwise you don't know what is going on out front but I'm using IEM's and even though I like to hear my voice dry it's been no big deal. Then again I don't go heavy on effects.

Archived