27yo got sober, trying to get back into making music. Looking for feedback or help with some acoustic demos.

jneal00

• Members

Hey all, my name is Joshua Neal and I live on the East Coast.

I have been recording as a hobby for a couple of years, but my alcoholism got bad and ruined my passion for life and music. I got sober 2 years ago and just recently found that passion again.

To give you an idea of what I'm working with, I record guitar on my iphone 4 and then record vocals in Audacity with a 5$ USB microphone. These tracks are full of mic pops and the overall quality is so iffy that I have decided to focus on quantity over quality for the time being and just get some rough ideas down.

I am sorry if they offend your ears. There's not much I can do about the quality for the time being.

This is my soundcloud and the first 4 tracks are recent recordings. I think that Jiddu Demo and demo for something are my best ideas so far. demo 3 also has potential but feels like it is missing a lot.

If you could listen I would appreciate it so much I can barely describe it. I'm so hungry for feedback and constructive criticism and my tracks usually average 18 plays at best and 4 or 5 of those are my mom being supportive (thanks mom!).

I'm looking for bands to look to for inspiration, guitar exercises that I should do every day to enhance my play style, general criticism and feedback, and any other ideas that you might have.

I'd be happy to return the favor (with the feedback, at least).

Thanks for reading and thank you so mucho if you listen.

-Josh

TLDR: Looking for feedback on 4 demos also thku.

• Members

Hey Josh,

Congrats on getting healthy! That's a huge deal. Most of the songs I post on here are demos done with an iphone 4, so you're in company (I intentionally didn't say good, because that's yet to be determined ;) ).

You'll have better luck at this forum posting one song at a time. The discussion can stay more focused that way. You'll notice some comment on melody, some on production ideas, and some tend to focus on lyrics. I'm in the latter camp because I'm not usually able to listen during the day when I'm logged on.

• Members

Hey Joshua--

Welcome to the board.

+1 on posting one song at a time, put the title in the thread title and post the lyrics.

Also consider leaving feedback for other people, at least 2 reviews for every track you post. Good karma.

Sobriety is good - two years is a big deal, congrats.

Cheers,

Martin

• Members

TLDR: Looking for feedback on 4 demos also thku.

I listened to the first track, "Jiddu." It sounds good in terms of the acoustic guitar, the backing track, the emotion in the vocals, and the rhythmic dynamics, but I couldn't make out the words.

Archived