TV Jones Duo-Tron

bmast160

• Members

The regular TV jones makes killer pickups. They have very high clean output with a wide frequency range. They aren't muddy like other high gain pickups nor are they over saturated. The best description would be a vintage PAF with several DB's of clean preamp boost to make it about 50% louder with a Rickenbacker jangle. If you run a tube amp this can drive the amp into saturation much more easily without allot of pedal processing to suck tone.

I haven't tried the Duo-Tron. They are supposed to have the same kind of output but are best suited to big box jazz guitars. The idea of the half blades and half screws are designed for guitarists who finger pick and want even output.

They advertise as "The Duo-Tron is a pickup for any genre and all players – Blues, Rock, Hard-Rock, Finger Picking and Chord Melody Jazz" so I'm thinking a semihollow country Gentleman type guitar would be the ideal instrument for them.

They go on to say:

Characteristic/Tone:

The Duo-Tron features a proprietary design, and combines blades and special alloy pole screws that highlight the response of the magnet. The blades provide a bigger note and is well-suited for finger-picking styles. The player won't lose any sensitivity bending the treble strings and will notice a fuller, bolder response that affects both sound - and equally important – feel. The bass side dials in a tone directly reminiscent of Ray’s original Filter’Tron - but with a touch more dynamic attack that is a little more focused and rounded.

I don't know how they would sound for a solid body if that's what you have. They may sound great on a normal electric. They are expensive though and If you don't play with your fingers you may be better off with the others like the Filteron, Super'Tron, TV Classic or V Classic Plus. The Duo-tron seem to be a niche pickup for a specific purpose but again, I haven't tried them, just the others.

Archived