Faulty power at event damages gear - who is to blame?

• Members

And being that checking it under load would entail the sound system going full blast, how do you do a voltage check if you don't have the time or luxury of a full volume sound check?

I use 500 watt par cans to load Edison outlet (5-15R or 5-20R) equipped circuits for testing under load.

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Yes, I am curious. My guess is that it didn't have enough juice to power the beer trailer and the stage simultaneously. When the beer coolers kicked in, the power dropped - causing a brownout condition. Everything I have read online points to a brownout. Apparently the Class D amps react diffferent to brownouts than Class A/B amps do. Even if it was a Crown Class D it probably would have been damaged in a similar manner.

That's a wild assed guess based on poor and inaccurate information.

I will say for a fact that the class D amps that I design into my products protect themselves from very low voltage. All QUALITY class D products do, including the Crown products that am familiar with.

Instead of guessing, and pontificating bad info, why not ask the manufacturer of your amps. It's either a yes or no answer and we will know what catagory your amps fall into with the answer you get.

• Members
Instead of guessing, and pontificating bad info, why not ask the manufacturer of your amps. It's either a yes or no answer and we will know what catagory your amps fall into with the answer you get.

Acme :lol:

The brand and/or quality of the amp is not in question. The faulty power that blew my amps and the Crown amps the next day is.

:idk:

• Members

Well, I'm glad things turned out for you. Hopefully you won't ever have to have this problem again.

Also, and more importantly, I know that I myself and others have gained tons of useful information and insight on this forum. Contributors like Aged & WMH and the like, too many to name really, give excellent, informed, accurate and EXPERIENCED information.

Really, hats off to this community and the information here.

Thank you.

Johnny

• Members

The brand and/or quality of the amp is not in question. The faulty power that blew my amps and the Crown amps the next day is.

Ok... Now that you have the money for new amps. What are you planning on purchasing? Just curious...

• Members

Sure it does... a quality amp will include at least the very basic protections against (what you speculate was) low voltage. My amps are completely protected against low voltage, or a severe voltage sag. They will go into protect mode and then recover automatically when power is restored. The Crown amps use a non-automatic form of protection, the fuses opened to protect against the fault.

What did your amps do when presented with this fault? Oh yeah, they blew up.:facepalm:

• Members

From fdew:

There is a thread going at

http://forums.prosoundweb.com/index....137760.10.html

with a lot of discussion and info about how bad wiring can look OK and cause trouble.

@ fdew:

Thanks for the heads up! There's a lot of great info in this forum thread. I copied one of the posts below.

From ProSoundWeb post by Mike Sokol:

Guys... this is not a freak accident. It was caused by something I call a Reverse Polarity Bootleg Ground (or RPBG). This occurs when an old building has new grounded outlets added by bonding the ground screw to the neutral screw because there was no separate ground wire to begin with. That by itself is electrically safe, but many older buildings had black power wires for both the hot and neutral, and some were simply wired backwards with the white/neutral wire being hot and the black/power line being actual neutral. See the attached diagram.

In that case any piece of gear plugged into a Reverse Polarity Bootleg Grounded outlet will have its chassis energized to 120 volts. If you then connect that piece of audio gear to something else that's plugged into a correctly wired outlet, you can have 20 amps or more of current flow down the shield, which melts wires and destroys gear. The really scary thing is that a 3-light tester will tell you that this reversed outlet is wired correctly, when in fact both the neutral and ground contacts are at 120 volts and the hot side is at earth potential.

Please see
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_pwCY4_LwJo&feature=youtu.be&noredirect=1
for a video I did a few weeks ago that describes how you can use a $20 non-contact AC tester in conjunction with a cheap 3-light tester to qualify grounds in power plugs. That's the only easy way to determine if an outlet will blow up your gear.

After discussing this testing issue with a few meter manufacturers, it seems that the entire industry has missed this problem. In fact, electrical inspectors routinely use a 3-light tester to qualify outlets in renovated buildings, but that's where the hot and neutral wires in the wall are most likely to be reversed.

I'm covering a lot of this on
www.noshockzone.org
and trying to get Lowes and Home Depot to offer training to consumers and electricians on how to check for this condition. Please contact me with any questions or comments.

Mike Sokol -
mike@fitsandstarts.com

• Members

Lowes and Home Depot should not be training electricians.

Lowes and Home Depot should not be training consumers in electrical matters at this level.

The hot neutral/ground issue has been known for over 20 years on the plug in testers. Giving Joe Q. Consumer a bit more electrical knowledge to determine a problem that he really doesn't understand in the first place is dangerous.

• Members

One may never know... I would never write a check unless I has a receipt from the purchase of new amps - but that's just me.

Personally, I'd ask to see the county property tax declaration and depreciation schedule from the plaintiff's IRS Schedule C (form 1040) with attached form 4560 concerning said equipment (assuming those supporting documents weren't preemptively offered as standard proceedure... and assuming, of-course, that pay had been recieved by the plaintiff for services rendered).

• Members

You either do or do not understand electricity. There is no middle ground and certainly no guessing.

The fact that I'm typing right know attests to the fact that I have the understanding. On topic, for a Donna Summer's concert at Roseland Dance City in NYC back in 1977, I had to tie into a ConEd city main for the block. Have you ever seen a copper 2 x 4 carrying 2000 amps? I have and tied in live.

Granted, things were different back then.

• Members
You either do or do not understand electricity. There is no middle ground and certainly no guessing.

The fact that I'm typing right know attests to the fact that I have the understanding. On topic, for a Donna Summer's concert at Roseland Dance City in NYC back in 1977, I had to tie into a ConEd city main for the block. Have you ever seen a copper 2 x 4 carrying 2000 amps? I have and tied in live.

I'm sure you were wearing arc flash protection back in 1977! ;)

I should send you a few pictures of my project for the last 18 months... A power supply to power electric motors 0-13,800 Volts AC or 0-1000 Volts DC @ 2100 KVA. I had a dedicated 480V, 2500 Amp service installed to power the unit. I can power a 2250 HP at full load on our dynamometer, or power a 18,000 HP motor unloaded. Safety of my friends is top priority, no exceptions!

• Members

I imagine electricity to be something like heights: once you get past a certain point, it doesn't matte how impressive the numbers are, you're still dead.

Speaking of Donna, RIP. She's a not-too-distant relative and hers is not the first death in that immediate family in recent weeks. :cry:

-Dan.

• Members

Whatever Mike Sokol's plans for distributing this info to lowly consumers, I appreciate that he came to a live sound forum and gave instructions and tools to use for testing for known problems with power in live situations. A lot of under-informed guys run their own sound in countless dodgy bars, and getting this info out is a lot better than flying blind like the OP did.

It would be good to know how common what he talks about is compared to other problematic power scenarios.

• Members

I believe I'd have a beverage and hope to wake up with some adult level inspiration in the morning.

Does anybody have any idea what kind of amplifiers he's getting, or did he run out and plop his money down on some more Behringers?

I know if I had $1,500, I would definitely look around and do some serious research before I just ran out and plopped my money down. These days I would be more inclined to put it into powered cabinets....and I don't mean Behringer! LOL

• Members

Does anybody have any idea what kind of amplifiers he's getting, or did he run out and plop his money down on some more Behringers?

I know if I had $1,500, I would definitely look around and do some serious research before I just ran out and plopped my money down. These days I would be more inclined to put it into powered cabinets....and I don't mean Behringer! LOL

Don't know. But if he got 1500 bucks for 2 behringers I guess the gig paid pretty well.

Archived