The adventure continues - 8 new channels and an accoustic kit!

• Members

This is not a post seeking advice in any way but just a way to codify my thought process as I continue to build my humble project studio.

When I decided to get serious I took stock and was actually pleased to see that I was closer than I thought to the 'core' components. What popped to the top as far as needs we're channel expansion and better preamps and my desire to have a true acoustic kit. Oh and a premium mic or two. I was about to jump on a ribbon and Neve preamp deal when I was educated on how the whole lunch-box angle works - so didn't quite have the budget. So instead I jumped to the next step and added:

A decent used drum kit - thanks to my buddy Josh for advice - even burned the BD mic hole myself. Currently set up with a set of cheap Nady's but have an AT822 for an overhead and an ol EV BK1 on the hi-hat.

to pair with the kit I picked up a practically brand new M-Audio Profire 2626 interface which I plan to use as a standalone expander with Adat to my tascam FW1824 using the Tascam as master clock using BNC. I have not done this yet as I am scared to death because - well - the DAW is nice and stable with low latency as it is!! I will be very methodical on this and make sure I am plenty lucid before I even install the latest drivers. All study to date indicate that this should be just fine.

ok - so originally I thought I would patch the drums thru the Tascam direct - but during my initial setup I was really digging the approach of running them through my Mackie 24 VLZ pro mixer because I could immediately EQ out pesky resonance, provide a reference verb and since I am sending the headphone mix through aux sends I can quickly give the player a custom mix which I believe will be more inspirational. This way I am not having to configure thru DAW although yes I know I won't be getting as good audio. So now I think I will patch into the Tascam via the Mackie and use the better pre's on the other sources.

In all - this has been a fun process. I am thrilled to have a true accoustic set. Of course now I need to augment!

[ATTACH=CONFIG]n31516918[/ATTACH]

Archived