12 String Problem?

kr236rk

• Members

I have a Guild F412 and I mostly have it tuned down a half step. I occasionally bring it up to concert pitch for jamming. Neck is wide but my action is low. I can get around on it and play lead fine but after a while it is a strain on my left hand.

• 1 year later...
  • Members

I have an old Yammie 12 string from 1971 ( yes i am an old fart ) would have to dig it out to tell you the model number -

but at the time i remember that its sound was great for a 130 dollar guitar - but a friend told me that they use to throw the bridge's-

guess all that tension was way to rough on those 12 strings so i caped it on the second fret and tuned it down to standard .

Plus i did the light gauge thing for the get go -about two years ago i check it out - action wasnt to bad ( had taken the tension off the last time i put it away . ) I had to ramp the string a tad and lowered the action slightly - ramping the strings put a angle at the bottom side of the bridge and kept it from buzzing . Its been a nice guitar - but honestly if it ever needed a neck reset , its probably not worth it -maybe maybe not -but it sounds great

still . But 12 strings really dont get that much playing time -from me as well as most people -

• Members

Thanks. It didn't need setting up, the pull of the strings had - after many, many years - warped the body. I had to take the tension off then leave it in its box for a month with silicon stuff to take out any moisture, then after a month carefully tune back up again but only to D (standard not slide tuning). That made it a great deal easier on the fingers - easier to play.

Archived