Today would have been his 100th birthday. There's not a person reading this that doesn't owe Les Paul, big-time. He's certainly one of my biggest musical and recording heroes. The man practically invented multitrack recording along with many other musical and studio techniques that we still use today. So Happy 100th Birthday Les. Sorry you aren't here to celebrate it with us, but your memory - and music - lives on.

He was also a total bad-a** on guitar too... check out this video of Les and then wife Mary Ford doing How High The Moon; they're adding additional parts to a previously multitracked performance, and doing it live, on TV. Pretty groundbreaking stuff for 1951... and dig that killer guitar solo! :philthumb:

[video=youtube;NkGf1GHAxhE]

Actually, it's (the TV footage) from 1953, not 1951, although the song was released in 1951. I should have caught that earlier since he's playing a Gibson Les Paul - which was introduced in 1952.

Here's a longer version, showing more of the TV show...

[video=youtube;rITJyZVTfy4]

What I find interesting in this is the discussion regarding the attitudes of people and the charges that their music was all electronic gimmickry.

• Members

Les was the Man!! Pioneer of solid body guitar, tape echo, multitrack tape machines, custom pickups and a sick player. He even built his own disk cutter way back using a Cadillac flywheel. We all owe him a great debt.

Les was the Man!! Pioneer of solid body guitar' date=' tape echo, multitrack tape machines, custom pickups and a sick player. He even built his own disk cutter way back using a Cadillac flywheel. We all owe him a great debt.[/quote']

Indeed. Les was the Man! :philthumb:

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

Considering his right elbow was shattered in a car accident, he's also inspirational. And he invented home recording, too! When Gibson acquired TASCAM I always thought it ironic the company that democratized home recording ended up under the same umbrella as the guy who invented it.

I learned about overdubbing (indirectly) from Les when I was a teenager, and my first multitrack tape deck was a TASCAM. That was way back in the 70s. I owe both TASCAM and Les a great debt, and have very fond memories of both that go back a long time... :)

Archived