where can i buy individual guitar strings as opposed to buying a set?

mbengs1

• Members
Do please relieve yourself of your superior tone.

No superior tone, you're simply wrong. You gave no sign of having read the initial post. I know it sucks to be wrong and have it pointed out--I don't like it either--but it's part of life.

I think the first thing to google is any of your local music stores. You might not see it on the rack...but they likely have individual strings somewhere. . . .

Which is what I suggested fifteen posts ago, on the first page. And yet, we still don't have a second post from mbengs1 telling us what he wants to do or whether he's paid any attention at all.

• Members

I did read the initial post. I interpreted differently. In fact, the only reason a forum exists is to add editorial weight (i.e., opinions) to facts. Because otherwise, we would just use search.

I've no difficulty in admitting my mistakes, and at times revel in them (please feel free to search on the string in the FX forum for when I not only didn't notice I had ordered the wrong Radial pedal, I didn't even see that print on the pedal itself, and then posted pics of my 'non working pedal' ... LOLOLOLOL).

One thing I will admit is that in this thread, I am in fact engaging in the practice that I am seeking to criticize, which is kvetching about other posters instead of just moving on. In a way, it serves as a negative example - but it's also venting.

As for superior tone, I'll let your post speak for itself.

• Members
I own over 10 guitars, I order in bulk.

Many times, I have to buy 12 sets of 10's, 13's and 17's gauge , because I like the tone of aged low E, A and strings ( more bass) and I change the G, B and high E every two weeks.

I don't know about aged wound strings vs. newer unwound, but I do know that 1st and 3rd strings tend to break more frequently for me. Also, having a couple dozen guitars (15 or so that see regular use from myself and/or others) there is the matter of wanting variety, accommodating different tunings, etc. I'd love to be able to order up a dozen .17's and .18's as we speak, but really wouldn't know where to do that at a price that makes sense.

There's a shoebox in my studio with a huge number of cannibalized leftovers, and it really shouldn't have to be that way.

• Members

The price is good here They charge me about $4 for a dozen strings and I get them in 2~3 days. I've used them for over 10 years and the few times I had issues they made good at no charge.

Have no idea what they charge for overseas shipments but I'm sure its only what the US mail charges, not anything the company tags on to inflate the cost. They aren't the US main and they don't set those rates, the US government does.

Best you find someone local who can do the same job. There are a couple of other online sellers like Strings and Beyond you can check prices on. http://www.stringsandbeyond.com/ Maybe they have better international shipping if they use a different carrier.

I use them as a backup but their prices are usually a tad higher on some of the brands I use.

• Members

One thing I will admit is that in this thread, I am in fact engaging in the practice that I am seeking to criticize, which is kvetching about other posters instead of just moving on. In a way, it serves as a negative example - but it's also venting.

Dan, I want to point out the irony of this statement: You're pointing out a flaw in the thread instead of just moving on. :p I'm kidding with you, though. I get exactly what you mean.

I wouldn't have a problem with these threads if mbengs participated in them. His threads usually consist of a single post with one or two sentences in a language that is not his first, and his questions are usually quite odd or something you could find by Googling it. Then people flood in with responses, but he's not breaking any rules. When he posts in other threads, he usually has something completely off point or inaccurate. I mean, everyone has their flaws, but it's strange that he's come out of nowhere and just spammed the hell out of the forum recently. It's not something that gets under my skin or upsets me, but it certainly gives me pause because it makes no sense to me. Why does he do these hit and run threads?

I'm not insulting or intending to demean him, but it's just strange. I actually want to see more of it just to see if I can unravel the mysteries of mbengs.

It's entirely possible that an Admin found an unused account and took it over to post threads without suspicion. I mean, I'm sure Phil or Dendy will come in here and deny it, and I'm not knocking them, but it's possible and it could be entirely in their control or over their heads.

Really, I'm kind of excited now. It's facilitating discussion, at least.

• 5 years later...