Sonar "Everett" - drum replacement tutorial videos...

I thought this might be of interest to those of you who use Sonar, as well as to those who may be considering Sonar and want to get a better idea of how one of its new features works. The latest release features their new Drum Replacer drum replacement tool, and they've put up some free tutorial videos to help you get the most out of it. You can check them out right here... or just click on the videos below to watch them without leaving HC.

Converting audio to MIDI with Drum Replacer

[video=youtube;ElkK6Ly1Qck]

Extracting hits from loops with Drum Replacer

[video=youtube;X8o9DMnphlc]

Using your own samples with Drum Replacer

[video=youtube;gAovIxnGaI8]

Layering samples in Drum Replacer

[video=youtube;Kxs5DnmSOE4]

• Members

Thanks for posting those, Phil. I had not used drum replacers before except for reviewing Drumagog back in the day, because I figured I didn't need them. However after salvaging a song that needed a dance kick but didn't have one, I stand corrected :)

Drum replacement is great technique when you need to "fix" something, but IMHO it's also a great creative tool too.

Think of it this way... how many drummers do you know who have an extensive collection of snare drums? Sure, the studio cats usually do, but the average drummer typically has their set, and maybe (MAYBE) one or two extra snare drums - it that. Now let's say we have some well-recorded drum tracks that the band laid down for their album, but that third song would really sound cool with a piccolo snare on it instead of the deep dish wood snare the drummer usually uses. To me, that's when drum replacement tools can really help. I'm as likely to use such tools for things of that nature as I am for corrective purposes on a poorly recorded track.

Most DAWs only offer a drum replacement tool as an extra-cost option, and they're usually not cheap add-ons / plugins. It's very cool that Cakewalk is now including that as part of the basic Sonar package.

Archived