01v96 on the way, could use some input on accessories, please

• Members

Good day, everyone! I purchased a used Yamaha 01V96 mixer which should be here by the weekend. It will be replacing my Peavey 16FX board and related outboard gear. My recent experience with an 01V was so positive, I decided to go digital and go one step from the 01V.

So, my questions to you are:

1. Could you suggest/recommend a good sturdy case for this mixer that won't bankrupt me?

2. This mixer comes with an AES/EUB card (MY8-AE, if I recall correctly); I admit to not knowing much about AES/EUB aside that it is a digital interface of some sort primarily for recording. How would I go about using this interface to record audio from this card to a PC/laptop? Would some other expansion card be better suited for this? Admittedly, this mixer is intended for live sound use primarily, so recording would be a secondary consideration.

3. I would like to add some additional input/output channels to the mixer via the ADAT connections. The B**ringer ADA 8000 is not an option. What other units would you suggest?

4. Any general/cool/useful 01v96 tips to share?

Thanks!!

• Members

Why is the ADA8000 not an option? I really like the 2 I have, and with the 01V it has the 8 XLR outputs too, great for L/R and aux outs.

For a case look @ road ready and EWI. I've got a road ready for the original 01V and it's really nice. For a 2nd 01V I've got the SKB pop up case, I've repaired it several times and its still a POS.

AES/EUB is a 2ch card? Dunno, gotta brish up on the digital stuff. The 01V96 will do 8ch of ADAT out of the box, to get more you'll need the MY8-AT card. IMHO it's worth the $ for it: 32ch of input plus 8ch of output.

• Members

I have issues with B**ringer's business practices and the reliability of the ADA8000 and prefer to use something else.

As for cases, I have been looking at the EWI cases and will likely get one of those, but wanted to explore all options.

Thanks!

• Members

Why is the ADA8000 not an option? I really like the 2 I have, and with the 01V it has the 8 XLR outputs too, great for L/R and aux outs.

For a case look @ road ready and EWI. I've got a road ready for the original 01V and it's really nice. For a 2nd 01V I've got the SKB pop up case, I've repaired it several times and its still a POS.

AES/EUB is a 2ch card? Dunno, gotta brish up on the digital stuff. The 01V96 will do 8ch of ADAT out of the box, to get more you'll need the MY8-AT card. IMHO it's worth the $ for it: 32ch of input plus 8ch of output.

All of this is spot on. We have used 2 ADA 8000's with our 01V96 for three years now without a glitch. We have the MY8-AT card as well. You might also consider joining the 01V96 user group at Yahoo Groups, its a great resource for this mixer.

Be sure to check the assignment of the user defined keys. Set them to something that won't reset the scene when you accidentally rest your hand on them. Very embarrassing during my first show with that mixer.

• Members

The I/O expansion will not be cheap unless you go ADA8000.

The 8 channel ADAT cards go for about $200 and the 16 channel cards go for about $400. Sometimes you find a deal if you look long enough but they have been consistent averages. Buy the 16 channel because you WILL want it eventually, and then the 8 channel will be sitting. Nearly everyone adds the 16 channel card. That way you can add 16 channels with that card and still have an 8 channel ADAT output for recording.

No one really wants to buy the ADA8000 because it a B*** but they have been generally reliable for most people. I used a pair for 3-4 years before one died. I made the switch to Presonus D8s which are nice but cost double the ADA8000. The other benefit of the B*** is that you get not only 8 preamps for input but 8 outputs. These go for $175 or so. At that price, they are expendable (unfortunately.) Although you can find the preamps like I did or similar for reasonable money, the next cheapest unit that has both input and output that I have found runs north of $6-700 per unit. Two of those to get 16 channels will set you back around $1500. Two of the B*** will set you back $350 so you decide. If you don't need the extra outputs, you can spend $700 for both preamps and get fairly nice ones.

I used an Odyssey FZGS1304 which is nice because it holds the console and has 4 spaces under it for preamps/etc. It is deep enough to leave everything hooked up in the case. It also comes with a sliding over-the-console tray for your laptop which you WILL want to use with the board.

I have two and love them, and they get used constantly. Read the manual thoroughly since it IS different than the 01v, but not that different. Once you get it set like you want it, save the file using Studio Manager. It can save your butt (voice of experience here.)

I won't go on because you have used the 01v so you have the basics down anyway. If you want help with anything specific, let me know. There is also a very active users group of technically adept folks at Yahoo. Absolutely join the group.

Welcome to the club. I wouldn't get rid of mine on a bet. I have even found I prefer it to the LS9, after getting a little time on one of them. Until I get the money for a whole new level of console, I don't believe anything can touch it.

• Members

First off, my thanks to all of you for the great advice. I cannot wait for this mixer to get here!!

As for the B**ringer ADA 8000, yes, I am aware of its unique capabilities, especially when you factor in its low cost. It was my hope to leave it off the table as an option, but I may have to reconsider it. In truth, I was hoping for an alternative that was not too expensive, but, alas, that may not be an option.

• Members

I have issues with B**ringer's business practices and the reliability of the ADA8000 and prefer to use something else.

Thanks!

Take a look at the ART Tube Opto8 or something like that. They are twice as expensive as the berry but have all I/O on the rear and a fixed HPF and pad on each channel. I don't buy the "Tube" marketing, but the unit sounds fine and fit the form factor I was looking for.

Inputs are combo connectors and outputs are TRS.

The berry has the XLR outputs and I have several of those that have been fine, too, but I dislike the inputs on the front.

The AES card is a nice feature to have if you need that connectivity, but if you're not going to use it, you may think about selling it for another ADAT card, etc.

I suggest setting up fader groups and using the "remote layer" as a custom fader layer and setting up some User Defined Keys as mute groups.

• Members

Sell the AES card and use the proceeds toward a MY16-AT ADAT card.

Alesis HD24 recorder goes great with the 01V96 and the 16 channel lightpipe card. Record 16 channels and still have the built in ADAT on the 01V96 for your ADA8000/D8/Octopre/etc

You can get two of the ADA8000's for the price of one Presonus D8. The ADA8000 is a score for Berry and one of the only a handful of pieces of gear of thiers that I would use. The only thing I don't like about the ADA800 is the inputs are on the front but that is minor.

• Members

If you're not going to use more than 16 channels, I'd recommend setting up the alternate layer for use as a monitor mix. In the input patch section, patch the AD1 to ch1 & ch17 ~ patch AD16 to ch16 & ch 32. This allows use of comps & EQ at FOH without effecting monitor world at all. It also gives you seperate strip EQ house/monitors. It works pretty niffty that way.

Agreed, get outboard mic pre I/O device(s) so that you can use every input & output. Even though the board has 8 internal auxes, it only has 4 omni outs (unless you run 4 FX semds it's a bit of a waste. This device will allow the use of those extra auxes (or sub groups, or whatever you need). I also agree, stay away from the "B" units. They work OK but I'm on the same page with you as far as business ethics etc...

FWIW AES EBU is a high quality digital interface but it's only capable of sending a single channel over a single twisted pair. If you want multi track, use ADAT. If money's no object, there are cobra net expansion cards that will allow higher resolution than ADAT but both the card & the interface could easily cost as much as the mixer it's self - NOT cheap). Yamaha did make a proprietary firewire interface called MLAN capable of multitracking you can get ASIO drivers for it but everything I've read about it is it's problematic in many ways - I'd steer clear.

Hope this helps

• Members

If you're not going to use more than 16 channels, I'd recommend setting up the alternate layer for use as a monitor mix. In the input patch section, patch the AD1 to ch1 & ch17 ~ patch AD16 to ch16 & ch 32. This allows use of comps & EQ at FOH without effecting monitor world at all. It also gives you seperate strip EQ house/monitors. It works pretty niffty that way.

It took me a second to process this idea, but, frankly, this is just plain genius!!

What make/model of case do you all suggest? The case would be for the mixer only, as it would be used by itself most of the time. I will likely populate a small external rack with a secondary ADAT preamp and the wireless mic receivers.

• Members

Odyssey FZGS1304. Small enough to move fairly easily, and yet it holds the board, 4 spaces below that where preamps and wireless miss and live and stay hooked up, and a sliding tray on top for you laptop. It served me well for years.

Archived