A clever way to deal with the eventual transision from USB type A to USB type C connectors?

Check out this article on dual connector USB thumb drives.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/money/technology/the-usb-drive-of-the-future-is-already-here/ar-BBkE0or

I wonder if we'll see a similar approach with computers as well as USB audio interfaces, peripherals and external hard drives, with both type C and type A connectors to help ease the transition period...

• Members

Slightly related, but it's amazing how much storage they can fit in those things anymore. The low-profile ones that Kingston makes (and others) that are basically little nubs only an eight of an inch sticking out from the port can be gotten up to 128GB now I think. Crazy.

That is pretty nuts, isn't it? :)

I've got a 32GB USB 3.0 SanDisk thumb drive that's a couple of years old now that I use to sneakernet files back and forth between my Macs and my PC when needed, and it's got all the storage I need for most tasks. I've been using Firewire and USB drives when I need more, but I might get another thumb drive with more capacity as the prices continue to fall... but if I do, I think I'll try to find one with both types of connectors so it will be useful further into the future.

Archived