what makes a good vocal speakers for home karaoke purposes?

• Members

I'm currently singing to 2 KRK rokit 6s. and I would like it to have more midbase. I do have a JBL 12" subwoofer. What should I look for in speakers to give me the warmth, full sound and nice midbase? I sing in an average size bedroom. Am I wanting 3-way speakers with at least 8" woofers? Or go with the JBL control 30 line? Please give me some pointers.

• Members

Assuming you're just singing in a typical home bedroom for a small audience, your needs are very minor. I'd go with either really nice monitors as an upgrade or an average-priced powered speaker setup. How much you wanna spend? I think for the "budget" arena of home studio monitors, my Yamaha HS50's sound good. HS80's are MUCH better. They don't have the scooped KRK sound you're probably not liking. If you go for monitors, you can use em in a recording application down the road. Get PA speakers and you have the option of playing out somewhere. I'd lean towards powered speakers at a variety of price points - you obviously like karaoke and you'll never be able to do a bigger crowd/party with studio monitors. Go listen to the lower end powered speakers. FWIW, I just got my Yamaha DXR8's specifically b/c they handle the full spectrum of sound so well for tiny, LOUD boxes. Super detailed but never harsh. But possibly out of your price range?

• Members

Man. Tough to answer. It seems to me you probably want more oomph than most near-fields are capable of. It also sounds like you probably want something more contoured than most studio monitors. Maybe even some of the more powerful home-theater class of speakers. Or maybe some EQ-ing will get you what you want.

But descriptions like round and warm are really hard to translate in terms everyone agrees upon.

• Members

Also, many home karaoke setups have horrible mics and mic preamps... if you're chasing quality, you might need to spend for it. If it's just a hobby, I'd say do it on the cheap and go LOUDER :) Big speakers will do that... Thump active speakers for big, cheap $?

• Members

Mic preamps a limiting factor??? Really?

Well... Yes. I just suggested that because if he has one of the p.o.s. all in one karaoke deals with the 'included microphone' then a speaker upgrade may not give him the quality he is looking for. The 1/4" junker mic into the all in one thing may stink no matter what speakers (or monitors...) I ran karaoke setups for a while and we had expensive decks. Ive also seen the junky setups and depending on what he wants to do, he may need to upgrade that first. The bottom line is it sounds like just an expensive hobby and so he may want to look at a rack mount channelstrip if he wants to go that route.

• Members

My first suggestion WAS speakers... Monitors if he wants em to do double duty as studio monitors, and speakers if he wants to ever do shows bigger than bedroom singing for two people shows. I said 'also, many home karaoke setups have horrible mics and mic preamps.'. Obviously speakers are likely what he needs, but nobody knows at this point, since the are no details. But if someone suggests high quality speakers and he's singing through a 20 buck radio shack dynamic with a 1/4" curly cord into an all-in-one... He'll be chasing his tail trying to upgrade his sound.

Geesh.

• Members

Yeah those home units are piece of work, only way to go is with software based solution via laptop, sure better than those CDG playersdiscs. Seldom are the outputs balanced, couldn't imagine running the outputs to an amp with an unbalanced signal.

• Members

My first suggestion WAS speakers... Monitors if he wants em to do double duty as studio monitors, and speakers if he wants to ever do shows bigger than bedroom singing for two people shows. I said 'also, many home karaoke setups have horrible mics and mic preamps.'. Obviously speakers are likely what he needs, but nobody knows at this point, since the are no details. But if someone suggests high quality speakers and he's singing through a 20 buck radio shack dynamic with a 1/4" curly cord into an all-in-one... He'll be chasing his tail trying to upgrade his sound.

Geesh.

As I recall, O.P. has an Allen & Heath Zed mixer and a SM58

• Members

Well... Yes. I just suggested that because if he has one of the p.o.s. all in one karaoke deals with the 'included microphone' then a speaker upgrade may not give him the quality he is looking for. The 1/4" junker mic into the all in one thing may stink no matter what speakers (or monitors...) I ran karaoke setups for a while and we had expensive decks. Ive also seen the junky setups and depending on what he wants to do, he may need to upgrade that first. The bottom line is it sounds like just an expensive hobby and so he may want to look at a rack mount channelstrip if he wants to go that route.

Microphone, yes, but the mic pre is so far down the list as to be off the bottom. Even an unbalanced preamp is plenty fine, it's the easiest part to design in the whole unit.

• Members

<Ao6gaj.jpg>

I'm using samsonR31s mic if I have the Rokits on cuz this mic doesn't get feedback like my condenser mic sterling ST77. I use an Harddrive jukebox player for my karaoke contents mostly...but I do go on the web to sing too. There's a local guy selling A yamaha MSR400. I wanna spend less than 500 on a pair. What do you think of the yamaha?

There's another guy selling a pair JBL Mpro415 for 400 but it might be a bit much for a bedroom setup. Also my amp is a crown xls 402...i don't think has enough juice to drive it.

• Members

Your Crown XLS 402 has plenty of power to drive a pair of Mpro 415s in a home system - and even in most karaoke clubs. Those are great speakers. The Yamahas may be too but I've never had the chance to use them.

As a guy who hosts karaoke shows three times a week, you're on the right track. This is live performance vocally, and you need the headroom of speakers designed with that in mind, and not home monitors (which aren't).

• Members

http://used.guitarcenter.com/usedgear/index.cfm?page=1&sort=price&dir=asc&srch&q=mpro&distance=100

JBL Mpro 415 going for 400.00 each on Guaitar Center used. Normally I expect half of the value for trade in at GC, so if GC selling 400.00 used they will give you 200.00 towards trade give or take 20%. You are getting an excellent buy for 400.00 a pair on those, however BEWARE if they are used I am assuming A. Warranty doesn't apply and B. You are stuck with the bill if something is wrong with them.

Test them excessively before buying if you can. JBL's have a good resale value as well. If you have a sub these will compliment it well.

http://used.guitarcenter.com/usedgear/index.cfm

Those yamahas going for 300.00 each on GC used, and that is a price drop, just to give you an idea of those at retail used price.

• Members

Maximum SPL: 130 dB ---> Calculated based on Peak Power Capacity and Sensitivity

http://www.jblpro.com/mpro/PDF/MP415.pdf

Rated Maximum SPL: 125 dB

http://www.jblpro.com/mpro/series_400.htm

Maximum SPL: 121dB (1m)

http://www.zzounds.com/item--YAMMSR400

MP415 - High power handling - 350 watts (average) and 1,400 watts (peak) power capacity.

The XLS 402 is rated at 260 WPC @ 8 ohms. It would work but I'd recommend an amp closer to 350 per chan.

Have you researched if you can tell the year it was manufactured by serial #? I know with QSC RMX amps you can tell the year it was manufactured by the serial #.

• Members

Power handling doesn't matter one squat bit. Maximum SPL (assuming it's accurate) and sensitivity are the most important numbers in determining if a speaker will get loud enough.

If the amp is big enough to get you to your desired SPL without clipping, you are good to go.

Be sure you have a limiter on the amp, I don't recall off the top of my head if the XLS has one built in (it may be there and not switchable).

Archived