Friday Influences Thread: 5/22/15

LCK

• Members

While listening to Lenny's "Bring the Rain" I kept thinking about what a great drummer Mick Fleetwood is.

These are some of my favorite drum tracks of his...

[video=youtube;m0PyhrHOtRo]

[video=youtube;8ZeTlMpnfHk]

[video=youtube;iDpYBT0XyvA]

"I don’t think about what I’m going to play until I feel a personal and emotional dynamic," he says. "I’m told that what I do as a percussion player is all sort of back-to-front, where the fills are usually not in the obvious places, and it’s because I don’t really know what I’m doing. I just do it spontaneously..."

• Members

Favorite drummers, yes, a good topic.

Phil Collins is an excellent drummer, whatever else you may think of him. To my ear he has this combination of great fluidity with extremely accurate punchy accents - I wish they'd mixed the drums louder on this one...

[YOUTUBE]2gNtY_6z1EA[/YOUTUBE]

nat whilk ii

• Members
@LCK Mick Fleetwood is great' date=' but why the first one...he barely plays...[/quote']

Yep. The mark of a true genius.

On "Black Magic Woman" it's not about how much he plays, it's about the punchiness and the pocket and his incredible accuracy.

Anyway, that's how I see it...

• Members
Favorite drummers, yes, a good topic.

Phil Collins is an excellent drummer, whatever else you may think of him. To my ear he has this combination of great fluidity with extremely accurate punchy accents - I wish they'd mixed the drums louder on this one...

[YOUTUBE]2gNtY_6z1EA[/YOUTUBE]

nat whilk ii

I've loved Collins' drumming since "Something In the Air Tonight."

I heard this playing at the supermarket yesterday and I had to stop and just listen.

[video=youtube;C6PNc9KN50M]

Archived