CS200 attached to MRX 515's

• Members

Hello.

I used to run mixer output: to Crown XTI4000 then use on board DSP to power MRX 518's, the out put from XTI4000 to DBX 223 Xover, then out to yamaha CP2000. I posted a couple inquiry's in here and the horse guy (Andy) said something about delayed response as epsilon approaches delta to the 10th power of infinity. (or delays) Soooo.... for craps a giggles.....let's change some things

Got a case a beer loaded up 10 tunes, and listened to just the 515's. They sound ok, but no low end...hmmm.

Take the DBX 223 out of picture, run the CP 2000 straight to the 515's no crossover, run the same 10 songs, Wow hey we are hearing some new frequencies, this is good, but no lows, hmmmm or not what I would expect.

So for fun, turn on the Yamaha's on board processing (made for the club speakers) and BOOM, wow. Lows came out and sounded great! In fact, I think I can do most of these smaller venue's with just the 515's, very excited. Just to prove a theory, play with your gear in different configurations, use the same test data for each scenario and let your ears to the rest! I'm very excited about this as A. now I can sell my old crossover as not needed B. freed up another rack space.

Had to share, thank you for letting me share ladies and gentlemen!

• Members

Awesome. It is important that more people do do some playing around with their gear (within reason). There are lots of tweaks that the "pros" know that sometime don't get shared down the line. If anything, you are learning your system and becoming more comfortable with it. It is just as important to know what the system can do as it is to know what it can't.

• Members

OR, learn how your gear works, what the functions do and what they do to the limitations (this particular processing will reduce your maximum SPL) of the speaker and things will become so much clearer.

The Yamaha processing for these speakers is low freq. extension eq that extends the LF response at the expense of about 6dB of maximum SPL. This may be fine for lower volume applications but you will run out of PA a lot earlier than if using subs and proper crossover and not using the extension processing.

• Members

I suspected that, so I went to the red zone with them all alone (515's), peaked about the same time as without the filter....was quite surprised how well they sound without the subs overall. The DBX 223 I think it a old series one, ready to trade it up anyway, glad this worked. Yay.

• Members

Wha.. why? huh?

So: mixer - XTi4K (to subs) - DBX223 - CP2k (to tops)

Why do this? Why not just use the standard approach?

Mixer - DBX223 - CP2K (to tops) and XTi4K (to subs)

There is NO benefit to you're setup at all. reinventing the wheel?

• Members

Wha.. why? huh?

So: mixer - XTi4K (to subs) - DBX223 - CP2k (to tops)

Why do this? Why not just use the standard approach?

Mixer - DBX223 - CP2K (to tops) and XTi4K (to subs)

There is NO benefit to you're setup at all. reinventing the wheel?

Hence my comment.

• Members

Cause it sounds better that's why. Crossover is old, knobs all funny, hard to tell if buttons are in the "in" or "out" position, it's gotta go. One less piece of hardware. I want to use it for trap shooting practice. as the tune goes kinda like this:

"Well I'm a runnin' down the road try'n to loosen my load

I've got seventy lbs on my behind,

40 MPH winds, the bar owner wants to stone me

One owner says she's a friend of mine........"

Archived