Pentatonic melody

1001gear

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

I mostly hear pentatonic scales in blues, country, folk, and classic rock and don't notice them as much in arty (edgy, alty, avant garde) tunes. We're probably listening to different stuff.

Have some examples? I Googled "pentuptonic," and that didn't tell me much. Just led to some piano jazz. Googled "dunn rock" and mostly just found Brooks & Dunn.

• Members

Oh! Repressed!

In emo (which isn't what I immediately though of as arty, but now I get what you mean), I hear a lot of minor octaves, modal scales, drone notes, and suspended seconds and fourths.

Emo hates dominant sevenths - the heart and soul of blues. I think the blues must be some kind of Prozac interrupter.

Rant on!

Del

http://www.thefullertons.net

( •)—:::

• Members
Seems like all the "arty" stuff have the same pentuptonic motifs. Is this a symbiotic thing? Traditional harmony dunn rock?

AND how do you copyright the same ole thing anyway?

I guess 'arty' is in the ear of the listener. I tend to think that 'arty' starts just a wee bit short of this guy...

[video=youtube;ZdQorwcpy3Q]

• Members

Those Just intervals can, indeed, get pretty tart. Sometimes I get a touch of oral taste synesthesia when I hear some of them... Not to say that much of it doesn't sound uncomfortable or edgy at times -- but there's also something that often feels very right, harmonically.

Archived