The Power of Harmony (The key to composing emotionally powerful music)

• Members

When we hear powerful, moving music, we tend to remember the melody mostly, maybe the catchy beat the percussion had going on, but in most music, neither the melody nor the percussion is the driving force behind our favorite music. A solid, memorable melody is only the FIRST step to making great music. The harmony that the melody lays on is what fills the sound of the melody and adds the rich depth of sound and dynamics that makes what we are hearing move us emotionally. In some music, the harmony is very subtle, in other music, it's obvious, but all great music utilizes a well thought out harmony to accompany it's melody. Check out my latest track, "Ascension To Power"

https://soundcloud.com/kevin-adams-m...nsion-to-power

Listen for the harmony at 2:34 during the climax of the song. This is where it goes all out epic and the harmony is what brings that sound home!

• Members

Hey Kevin, welcome, this is quite good as a piece of instrumental music, very epic and dramatic indeed. I would have preferred an additional, more prominent and non-staccato melody, but this definitely conveys the mood. Not sure what feedback we can give you though as this a place to workshop songs (i.e., words + music). Do you have any songs with vocals?

• Members

Hi Kevin, welcome to the forum.

Are you looking to have your music subject to critique? That's primarily what we do here, but I don't want to just wade into a critical commentary without making sure you understand the basic mission of this forum.

Not that we don't just showcase tunes from time to time, and/or talk about influences and make idle chatter and jokes and the occasional rant and so on - but it all revolves basically around posting up stuff for suggestions and critique - both positive and negative, of course.

nat whilk ii

Archived