Barncaster

• Members

I bet you and Lindy Fralin would get along well. You should email him and show him your electrics. I know what you've got is good, but he'd blow your socks off with what he would come up with.

Again, not a criticism, but I think your guitars deserve the best and on an electric that's a huge part. :)

• Members
I bet you and Lindy Fralin would get along well. You should email him and show him your electrics. I know what you've got is good, but he'd blow your socks off with what he would come up with.

Again, not a criticism, but I think your guitars deserve the best and on an electric that's a huge part. :)

You recommended his pickups the last time I built a guitar and I did take a serious look at them (but I had already ordered the ones that ended up in it). I'm really a pretty poor judge of the sound of different pickups, but the next electric I build I will give his serious consideration. What might be fun it to build another barncaster and only change the pups. Mmmmmm......

• 1 month later...
  • Members

Footnote

A wild fire burned thru our community yesterday. Destroyed 28 homes and 4 large business. Burned at least 3000 acres of grass and sage brush. Burned literally within a few hundred feet of the barn, then the winds shifted and it moved away. The barn was saved

ImageProxy.mvc?bicild=&canary=CK3mLQt8fCf11y4wU93wvfX2Hb1YUrMQ%2fB1gtBWX3eY%3d0&url=http%3a%2f%2fcontent.delivra.com%2fetapcontent%2f%2fChelan-DouglasLandTrust%2f11709556_1446577715643523_5793417132320307927_n%2520%25281%2529.jpg

The old homestead and the barn is off the picture to the right where the dirt road goes.

I hope the owl is OK, I think she probably is.

I rode my bike out on an irrigation ditch to view the damage - everything was burned but there was a mother duck and nine little ducklings that couldn't have been much older than the fire.

I feel like playing the Barncaster tonight

• 2 years later...
  • Members
Did you ever figure out a way to give the Barncaster to The Land Trust?

Did you build another?

Necrothreads always confuse me.

I donated the first Barncaster to the Land Trust and they auctioned it at their annual dinner. I joked with my wife that I would be really happy if someone would pay a grand for it - it went for considerably more. Way considerably.

A friend walked up to me after the dinner and said that he had been bidding on the Barncaster to give to his son for Christmas, but got beat out. I told him that I had more wood, if he would give his last bid to the Land Trust I would make one for his son. He did, I did, his kid has used it on a couple of albums...

My son said "dad, if I had known about the Barncaster I would have bid on it" I said,,,,,,,, he did,,,,

I've got number four on the bench right now. For Christmas I gave my wife plane tickets so we can deliver it to its new owner. This one doesn't need a donation to the Land Trust - its something I've wanted to do for much of my life.

[img2=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","src":"http:\/\/i51.photobucket.com\/albums\/f387\/Freeman_Keller\/Barncaster%202\/IMG_3565_zpstxibnqle.jpg"}[/img2]

[img2=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","src":"http:\/\/i51.photobucket.com\/albums\/f387\/Freeman_Keller\/Barncaster%202\/IMG_3616_zpsuuwsjyaa.jpg"}[/img2]

I was told by one of the Land Trust people that the scrap board I used was probably part of the watering trough for the draft horses that they used to plow the fields when this was a working homestead

The last part of the barncaster saga is that we got a call last fall the the owl nest was falling apart and she might not return. Owls don't build their own nests, this was originally a ravens nest. One of my other hobbies is climbing things so a couple of us took ropes and harnesses and implements of destruction, er, construction and went up to the barn. We climbed up into the rafters (its probably 40 or so feet tall), hauled up some raven like building materials and reinforced the nest

[img2=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","src":"http:\/\/i51.photobucket.com\/albums\/f387\/Freeman_Keller\/Barncaster%202\/IMG_3596_zpsrncxt8wf.jpg"}[/img2]

[img2=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","src":"http:\/\/i51.photobucket.com\/albums\/f387\/Freeman_Keller\/Barncaster%202\/IMG_3595_zps7cbu5ls0.jpg"}[/img2]

We'll know next spring if momma owl returns

• Members

What a story Freeman! I hope Momma Owl returns, and with Babies!

And I so hope the Barn continues to provide material for your wonderful instruments, and sustenance therefore for The Land Trust.

People like you should be recipients of the Medal of Freedom.

I only wish I could afford one of your wonderful instruments, and feel privileged to even be able to behold your build threads and communicate with you in this small way.

• Members

Here is a picture from the dinner. I brought a little amp and a pick along, people would come by, read the poster, pick up the guitar, play a riff or two and write down their bid. Amazing how many old fart conservationists play guitar.

Each time I go up to the barn I look at it with amazement. It was built somewhere in the early 1900's, pretty much by hand. The wood beams are huge - all the trees that big have been cut down. They didn't have cranes or scaffolds or power tools - just a lot of hard working men (and women) working together to scratch out a living. There is an abandoned orchard on the homestead, somehow it survives without being watered or cared for. Each year a bunch of high school kids go up and collect apricots - they make jam and sell it at the dinner. I always buy a few jars.

One of the high school teachers takes her nature studies class up there and they collect the owl pellets (owls apparently cough up the bones and hair and stuff from their prey that they can'd digest). Anyway, the kids dissect the pellets to study their diets and understand the food chain. Its pretty cool how excited they get,

And last, but not least, I did find a picture of one of last years chicks (there were two). Kind of hard to make out, its dark in the old barn

[ATTACH=JSON]{"alt":"Click image for larger versionName:\t30083846413_63a68df4f8_k-2.jpgViews:\t1Size:\t355.7 KBID:\t32135453","data-align":"none","data-attachmentid":"32135453","data-size":"custom","height":"1024","title":"30083846413_63a68df4f8_k-2.jpg","width":"1024"}[/ATTACH]

Archived