Mystery is her Name

• Members

When I was a young man I tried reading the Bible. It left me an agnostic.

There was one part that intrigued me however, and that is the Book of Revelations that nobody really understands.

So Ive drawn from a couple of chapters and written a lyric that deviates from the text and is not really meant to be understood - I think it just captures an atmosphere.

It's probably part of my 'John Wesley Harding' near-equivalent album.

One thing that still needs doing is developing the transition from Narrator 1 in the verses to Narrator 2 in the Chorus. I'll probably create a pre-chorus to do this.

What do you think? Is it worth developing into a song?

Mystery is my Name

V1

The angel of the seven bowls

Said come and walk with me

And let me show you judgements

That span the earth and sea

And she showed to me the kings

Who were taken by the whore

And she showed me all the things

That make us call for more

Ch

I am the whore of Babylon

Be sure to feed my flame

Strings pulled by the Antichrist

A pawn in God’s strange game

You can call me anything

But Mystery is my name

V2

The fallen kings have been and gone

And new ones drink the power

With the whore of Babylon

Who rules their final hour

So call upon your wisdom

And use it to unlearn

False stories that nest in the heart

With promise of return

Ch

Be sure to feed my flame

You can call me anything

But Mystery is my name

• Members
Yes songworthy, yes John Wesley Harding style. Untroubled by the transition from V1 to V2 - Mystery is her name, why do I need to understand more?

This is a good one.

Agreed.

• Members

This is pretty rad. I also think the transition works. But seeing as I'm kind of a stickler for that sort of think, I think something like this could also work...

She is the whore of Babylon

Be sure to feed her flame

A pawn in God's strange game

You can call me anything

But Mystery is her name

• Members

If it's the angel of the seven bowls that's the speaker, then the speaker's voice could just be continued into the chorus, a la

"see the whore of Babylon etc etc...you can call her anything but Mystery is her name"

I love vision-imagery.

nat whilk ii

• Members

This is great, very distinctive, and I haven't even close-read to figure out what it's about!

I do think that using "whore of Babylon" in v2 is an error - it's so distinct a phrase that overuse will cheapen it. Maybe just refer to "the whore" or "that whore" in v2.

Cool.

• Members

Thanks for the input guys. I needed some other perspective on whether to move it forward or not.

It's strength of language is inspired rather than borrowed from the King James version of the Bible. Many key figures in English literature consider the language to have been absorbed into English culture even if the content has not.

I will try the alternative pronouns in the chorus, but I was influenced by 'Sympathy for the Devil' being very effective in the 1st person.

I need to try both once I find a musical direction.

I think you are right Martin, I need to preserve the full phrase of 'The whore of Babylon' only for the chorus.

• Members

Here are the revisions:

When I develop music I'm going to try introducing a 1st person Narrator 2 chorus at the end accompanied with a distinct musical shift to support the change. Well see if it works or not.

Mystery is my Name

V1

The angel of the seven bowls

Said come and walk with me

And let me show you judgements

That span the earth and sea

And he showed to me the kings

Who were taken by the whore

And he showed me all the things

That make us call for more

Ch

You’re sure to feed her flame

You can call her anything

But Mystery is her name

V2

The fallen kings have been and gone

And new ones drink the power

With the whore in scarlet

Who rules their final hour

So call upon your wisdom

And use it to unlearn

False stories that nest in the heart

With promise of return

Ch

You’re sure to feed her flame

You can call her anything

But Mystery is her name

Pre-chorus lift

Astride a scarlet beast

Clothed in gold and purple

I tend this drunken feast

Ch

Be sure to feed my flame

You can call me anything

But Mystery is my name

• Members
"

If 'she' can be replaced by 'he' it could have been better. By 'she' you mean the 'angel' right?

Yes I mean the angel. In my mind, angels are without gender, so I chose 'she' over 'he' or 'it'.

But there could be some benefit as you suggest, in changing to 'he' in order to clearly differentiate from the whore.

• Members

Yes I mean the angel. In my mind, angels are without gender, so I chose 'she' over 'he' or 'it'.

But there could be some benefit as you suggest, in changing to 'he' in order to clearly differentiate from the whore.

I'd probably go with "they".

It seems to follow on better from them being introduced already and is a little clearer

• Members

My only major caveat is the switch from third to first person in the final version of the chorus. A chorus is what sticks in people's minds, it's what they sing along to when the song is on the radio, etc.

You may not have that dynamic in mind, but I think one (usually) has to be careful about NOT changing lyrical elements of a chorus. Make it simple and mindless* and sing-a-long-able.

*Not in a bad way, just mindless in that you don't have to think about the words when you sing along

• Members

^^^ I hear what you are saying, but i'm not a stickler for standard format with every song I write.

When opportunities for deviation arise, I like to go with them. But only if they have their own valid purpose.

Many popular songs deviate from the standard chorus or standard tagline guideline.

Take for example The Beatles, 'I Feel Fine'. It has a AABAABA structure, and the tagline varies between 'I'm in love with her and I feel fine' and 'She's in love with me and I feel fine'.

I won't be making the shift to the final 1st person chorus however unless I can make the noticeable musical shift that supports it and renders it emotionally meaningful.

I just need to try it.

Like you, I'm a re-write and re-edit kind of guy. And we know when a change is a good one (well - most times).

• Members
Good call Stick, and grammatically correct, but 'they' is hardly ever heard nowadays in singular use.

It is almost always used as third person plural. .

Really?...that's not what I hear at all.

I love everything except "pawn....game"...feels super done to death.

EDIT: to be clear, by "that's not what I hear at all" I mean literally, out in the world, I hear it all the time, not "that's not what I heard on the linguistic grapevine."

Archived