Rolling with production changes...

• Members

I have a large festival type event (mostly non-music but large and very large venues) that I am doing next week, I have done this one for several years and provide 6 - 8 systems varying from SOS to significant line array. This year, as I am going through the build sheets to match the system needs to inventory I get this funny feeling that I have heard about one of the shows but I can't quite put my finger on it. Google is your friend here, and as soon as I see the results of the search, I realize that it's a 3 day taping for part of the second season of a national reality TV show.

This means that I need to be much more involved in the front end of the production set-up, figuring out their needs and signal routing as well as what they may be providing me back. Not a big deal as I do this kind of thing all the time BUT it would have been a big deal had I not acted on my hunch and seeked additional information. The promoter of the event overlooked me on this and I'm covering my ass as well as theirs. Cost isn't an issue, they will cover whatever is needed but availability of gear and labor is.

The lesson here is to always double-check whenever you have any hunch that you are not getting the full picture... sometimes it's because the promoter doesn't want you to know (fear of creeping budget) but sometimes it's just because you were overlooked. If they don't want you to know, you will figure that out pretty quickly (and run away very fast) but if it was an oversight you will come out looking like a pro.

• Members

Certainly not the level you're dealing with but I just did an outdoor graduation ceremony on Friday. About 2000 in attendance on a high school football field. After talking this over with the people in charge for over a month, I start setting up when they tell me about an additional vocal ensemble and the need for wireless mics!!! Luckily I brought those things along.

• Members

I'll often check Google images for recent live photos of a band, or YouTube for recent footage. Gives a second check on the rider / stage plot.

Good idea. I do this on shows where I am unfamiliar with the band. Usually it confirms things I suspect but sometimes it sheds a whole new light on the subject!

• Members

Doing mainly weddings May-Oct, nearly every weekend is a new adventure. It's a combination of eliminating as many wild cards as possible by setting expectations (early and often) and following up with the venue a few days before the event. Any sooner is a waste of time as they don't remember the conversation they had with you the week of 1/2 the time. Simple things like where to load in and what obstacles are there to overcome on the way in, parking, size of performance area, power requirements, reminder that we need food, storage for cases, and a place to hang out, when we'll be there and will the doors be unlocked, etc. All of this vetted ahead of time and there are still game time decisions and that's just for the day of.

Then there's working with the client to exceed their expectations on the big day. For that I use an online planning sheet, via Google Docs. HERE'S AN EXAMPLE SHEET from last night. Every wedding client gets their own and can fill it in and ask questions right on the sheet. I get an email alert each day for any sheets that have been edited and can then check them out to see if there are any odd ball items on it. The sheet also is "pre-loaded" with comments and planning tips. It's been a very good tool.

And the best part....... I got up and sent a thank you email and request to use them as a reference. As I was writing this post I received this response:

Of course we would love to act as a reference!!!! Thank you for making the night so much fun!! Everyone can't stop raving about how great and talented you were!! Many people have said this was the best wedding they have been to and you really helped make that happen!!

• Members

Another story on a much lower level, let's say underground parking level.... I just did sound for my daughter's year end high school Performing Arts concert. It's a big school, about 2500 kids, and a big gym (they've got two). The student that usually does the sound for all the school events was so fed up with getting no information (ever) that he passed on the concert, so I was asked to step in.

There was no real run through, and only about ten minutes prior to the concert to do a sound check. And just before the concert, two young ladies come up and ask me where the tap mics are! I just look at the teacher and say, nobody told me, so the tap mics are sitting at home....

But back OT, Google is your friend. Good to bring up this topic now AH, as for some it's coming into the busy season.

BTW, nice event sheet abzurd.

Archived