Yamaha PAC112V worth the extra $100 over PAC112J?

dpure

• Members

The PAC112V has better pickups and a better tremolo and is more of an intermediate instrument than strictly a beginner guitar but either guitar is going to be well made and at least adequate for your needs. You need to decide how much you want to invest. Play both or have a friend or music store employee play both side by side and see if there's a noticeable difference either way. If you can't justify or afford the PAC112V, the PAC112J will serve you well.

• Like 1

• Members

I've played a PAC112V. The PAC112V is an excellent instrument from tip to tail. If you want it, I wouldn't hesitate getting it. Otherwise, I just love the Pacifica in the video below. Unfortunately, I don't believe it is available in the USA.

[video=youtube;vWjUVQbHLnM]

• Members
If I got the J and wanted to upgrade pickups down the line what would that run me roughly? Might be better (and cheaper) in the long run to just get the V for the few upgrades it offers.

Good question.

For a good set of HSS pickups, figure a minimum $75 (probably a bit more). Then maybe another $50-$75 to get them installed and the guitar set up after the installation.

In perusing the differences between the two models it would definitely be worth the difference to go up to the 112V.

First, you get Alnico V pickups, which are the most popular magnets for Strat-style guitars. The 112J has ceramic, which are alright for some applications (high output humbuckers, for instance), but generally don't have as much character and aren't as "sweet" sounding in a single coil pickup.

Second, 112V has coil tapping on the bridge humbucker, so that it can have the fuller, more powerful sound of a humbucker, and with the pull of a knob, shut off one of the coils and have it sound more like a traditional Strat-style single coil. Both the bridge and bridge+middle positions will sound different with the coil tap than without, giving you two extra tones from your guitar.

Third, the 112V's body is made of solid alder, whereas I believe that the 112J's body is plywood alder. A solid guitar will generally have more natural resonance than one assembled from of plywood, even if it's the same type of wood.

Fourth, and this is just personal opinion, with the smaller pickguard showing more of the body and the metal knobs, the 112V looks a little ... classier, or more distinctive I guess.

DV019_Jpg_Regular_583500.723_old_violin_body_closeup.jpg vs pac112j-ovs-elektrische-gitaar.jpg

Edited by gdsmithtx

• Members
. . . Second' date=' 112V has coil tapping on the bridge humbucker, so that it can have the fuller, more powerful sound of a humbucker, and with the pull of a knob, shut off one of the coils and have it sound more like a traditional Strat-style single coil. [b']Both the bridge and bridge+middle positions will sound different with the coil tap than without,[/b] giving you two extra tones from your guitar. . . .

Erm, doesn't a HSS Strat tap the bridge pickup anyway when B+M is selected? So there wouldn't be a difference except with the bridge pickup alone.

• Members

I called around today and nobody here stocks the pacifica at all (vancouver) so I definitely won't be able to check one out in person beforehand unfortunately.

I will have top order from the u.s which is okay as I live close to a border crossing. The J model will come out to about $255 and the V $375 after conversion etc. So it's about $120 more for the V. What do you guys think?

Also are there any online guitar store that inspect/setup the guitar before shipping them out? Id like to avoid getting a "bad one" if possible since it'll be a hassle getting an exchange.

Edited by dpure

• Members
Yamahas are pretty consistent. It's unlikely you'll get a "bad one." Besides' date=' a setup isn't rocket science. The folks here can talk you through it if necessary.[/quote']

Although some people will make it FAR more complicated than rocket science. 30 years practice at least. smiley-winkI

• Members
...whereas I believe that the 112J's body is plywood alder.

Pacificas with plywood bodies have never existed, and this includes the bottom-end model, the PAC-012.

• PAC-012: multi-piece agathis body (usually a 5-piece body)
  • PAC-112, PAC-112M, PAC-112J: 3-piece agathis body
  • PAC-112V series: 3-piece alder body
  • PAC-212B series: 3-piece alder body
  • PAC-311H: 3-piece alder body
  • PAC-510V: 3-piece alder body
  • PAC-611 series: 3-piece alder body
  • The various Pacifica USA models: 3-piece alder body

The Pacifica was designed about 25 years ago by Yamaha in the USA, in Hollywood to be exact. The goal of the design was to create the most ergonomic and user friendly double cutaway body outline (i.e. -- "Strat") with bevels in just the right places (i.e. -- belly and forearm cuts).

The same thing was done for a Tele-like single cutaway body. Unfortunately, the PAC-102 and similar Tele-like series Pacificas are no longer made -- with the exception of the Mike Stern signature model.

...112V has coil tapping on the bridge humbucker, so that it can have the fuller, more powerful sound of a humbucker, and with the pull of a knob, shut off one of the coils and have it sound more like a traditional Strat-style single coil.

You're actually describing coil splitting, which is a lot more common and generally more useful than coil tapping. wink1.gif

• Like 1

• Members
Otherwise, I just love the Pacifica in the video below. Unfortunately, I don't believe it is available in the USA.

[video=youtube;vWjUVQbHLnM]

The Pacifica with the covered humbucker at the bridge and the P90 at the neck (in that video) is the PAC611VFM.

As of a few months ago, the PAC611HFM, PAC611VFM, PAC311H, and the single humbucker'd PAC510V are all supposedly now available in the USA -- not just in Europe and Japan. These were released three years ago, but for some unfathomable reason, the US arm of Yamaha guitars chose not to distribute them in the US. I guess they finally got tired of being bugged by people wanting those models. :lol:

• Like 1

• Members
The Pacifica with the covered humbucker at the bridge and the P90 at the neck (in that video) is the PAC611VFM. . . .

If the OP fancied a road trip, Ted Brown Music in Seattle has the PAC311H, which is the hardtail version of that guitar: http://www.tedbrownmusic.com/p-103518-yamaha-311h-pacifica-series-electric-guitar.aspx. Only 140 mi./ 225 km. sm-wink

• Members

Never heard of rufus but will give them a call tomorrow thanks!

Also I didn't plan on a road trip but I use a shipping service just across the border(15 min away) and it actually isn't connected to any other part of the u.s. interestingly enough.

• 6 years later...
  • Members
On 4/23/2015 at 5:38 PM, Radar-Love said:

Pacificas with plywood bodies have never existed, and this includes the bottom-end model, the PAC-012.

• PAC-012: multi-piece agathis body (usually a 5-piece body)
  • PAC-112, PAC-112M, PAC-112J: 3-piece agathis body
  • PAC-112V series: 3-piece alder body
  • PAC-212B series: 3-piece alder body
  • PAC-311H: 3-piece alder body
  • PAC-510V: 3-piece alder body
  • PAC-611 series: 3-piece alder body
  • The various Pacifica USA models: 3-piece alder body

The Pacifica was designed about 25 years ago by Yamaha in the USA, in Hollywood to be exact. The goal of the design was to create the most ergonomic and user friendly double cutaway body outline (i.e. -- "Strat") with bevels in just the right places (i.e. -- belly and forearm cuts).

The same thing was done for a Tele-like single cutaway body. Unfortunately, the PAC-102 and similar Tele-like series Pacificas are no longer made -- with the exception of the Mike Stern signature model.

You're actually describing coil splitting, which is a lot more common and generally more useful than coil tapping. http://www.dinasaurhedcult.com/forums/images/smilies/wink1.gif

According to Yamaha’s website, alder - not Agathis - is used to make the 112J, as well.  

Edited by brucechillin