Active speakers stink...there, I said it...

• Members

Any chance it was thermalling from time to time? How much time elapsed between shut-down and reactivate?

Did you check the fuse/fuse-socket?

Couldn't have been a thermal issue, the first time it happened you could whisper louder then the sub was playing.

It has taken different amounts of time for the sub to come back on, from just a few seconds to a couple of minutes..

I also have never felt the amplifier/back plate section even get remotely warm...

Socket seems tight, cord doesnt even fall out when violently shaking the sub.....I will check the fuse socket later tonight though...

• Replies 291
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

It most likely will end up at a service center sooner or later....then they can tell me that they can't find anything wrong with it...then I am back to having a new boat anchor..

I honestly feel your pain... Intermittent problems really, really suck. With active speakers or otherwise...

• Members
Okay, if everyone can stop the active/passive debate (and I don't need 4-more pages telling me what was I to expect with the title I posted
;)
) and offer up some other things to possibly check on this speaker it would be appreciated...because I am out of ideas.

I pulled the speaker out, checked all the connections and they are all fine...no visible breaks or weak spots. all the connection points seem very tight and snug.

I also had the cab powered up and gave it my own shaker test
:D
and I can't get this cabinet to cut out no matter what I try
:confused:

I have ruled out bad cables as there would be no way the rest of the PA would have continued to work...seeing as this was the first cab to receive a signal in the chain.

I don't believe it is bad leeds connecting the actual speaker or the leeds to the driver cone as they all are solid and no movement of them stopped signal..

As a re-cap...the speaker shut down at various times...when first turned on, and mid set.

I am also dismissing a possible loose AC connection as the socket fits very snug and even in my own shaker test that I just performed, I couldn't get it to fall out or come loose.

Any other suggestions are welcome, here are some pic's for viewing pleasure:

DSC02490.jpg

DSC02491.jpg

DSC02493.jpg

DSC02494.jpg

DSC02495.jpg

Anything wonky with the "speaker/line" button?

• Members

Maybe you probably looked into this, but have you contacted tech support to see if there are no "known" issues with this model exhibiting the symptoms you have suffered?

I am actually going to email Yorkville tonight or tomorrow with the serial# and a description of the issues to see what they say.

• Members

Couldn't have been a thermal issue, the first time it happened you could whisper louder then the sub was playing.

It has taken different amounts of time for the sub to come back on, from just a few seconds to a couple of minutes..

I also have never felt the amplifier/back plate section even get remotely warm...

Socket seems tight, cord doesnt even fall out when violently shaking the sub.....I will check the fuse socket later tonight though...

I had a DBX 166xl that had a loose IEC socket connection inside the unit. Power would go off all of a sudden and then come back on - POP goes the weasel! Luckily it was still under warranty and it was fixed for free. Might be a small chance that's what's going on with your sub - but that's assuming it passes signal when it's powered down.

As stated, issues that come and go are sometimes hard to find. I hope you have better luck than I have.

• Members

I had a DBX 166xl that had a loose IEC socket connection
inside
the unit. Power would go off all of a sudden and then come back on - POP goes the weasel! Luckily it was still under warranty and it was fixed for free. Might be a small chance that's what's going on with your sub - but that's assuming it passes signal when it's powered down.

As stated, issues that come and go are sometimes hard to find. I hope you have better luck than I have.

The unit does pass a signal through when the power is shut off, so it's possible....but I know the first time it happened I was able to see that the lights were still on, on the cabinet.

My dealer also is going to check with Yorkville too see if they will do a warranty replacement..

• Members

I have read through this and find it mildly entertaining. I cant help but let the cat out of the bag here gentlemen. Technology is good for many things. This argument is a very small point on a much larger debate. My only concern is the fact that it inevitably causes problems. We develop more technology to make life "easier" when in reality it has produced a world where people dont care at all to enjoy the time spent learning, or employing that knowledge. We now just expect everything to be perfect and great right away with no effort required. Funny thing is it requires more money and provides many more headaches. Powered sounds real cool and all but when I decide to get into live sound il stick with passive. Im not really in the mood to spend double the money for something that countless people get pissed at for blowing up. I also enjoy the dedication and work it takes to get good at something, and the knowledge that comes alond. Not to mention it sets a good example for the youth when you display that dedication. It teaches them to want to do good and learn also rather than take the easy way out.

• Members

I have read through this and find it mildly entertaining. I cant help but let the cat out of the bag here gentlemen. Technology is good for many things. This argument is a very small point on a much larger debate. My only concern is the fact that it inevitably causes problems. We develop more technology to make life "easier" when in reality it has produced a world where people dont care at all to enjoy the time spent learning, or employing that knowledge. We now just expect everything to be perfect and great right away with no effort required. Funny thing is it requires more money and provides many more headaches. Powered sounds real cool and all but when I decide to get into live sound il stick with passive. Im not really in the mood to spend double the money for something that countless people get pissed at for blowing up. I also enjoy the dedication and work it takes to get good at something, and the knowledge that comes alond. Not to mention it sets a good example for the youth when you display that dedication. It teaches them to want to do good and learn also rather than take the easy way out.

I find your assumptions mildly entertaining.

- The majority of people that own a pa, be it passive or active, don't truly know what they are doing. Buying a passive system doesn't guarantee you'll learn more than enough to make something come out of the speakers.

- So you've decided those that use active systems are patently lazy? I spend at least 10 hours a week and often more on "band stuff" outside of the actual gig, which by itself is often a 10 - 13 hour day. Who are you to decide where my time is best spent learning? I pretty much know what's up with PA systems, but would still argue that less time spent on the PA could potentially mean more time dedicated to other aspects of the business. Is a band playing for peanuts in a bar and dedicating their free time to learning about running a passive system better off than a band with an active system that sounds as good or better and used their time working on getting gigs paying 4X more?

- Double the money? Maybe, if you're taking shortcuts (poor quality components, no processing, no crossovers). Recheck your math. Example: An active RCF 312A is better than a passive Yamaha Club for $100 - $150 more so it works out that the RCF is actually comparable or cheaper in price once you add an amp and you have a speaker with an electronic crossover that is bi-amped.

• Members

TROLL ALERT! TROLL ALERT!!

Why are you getting so upset abzurd? Does it bother you that I think you are ignorant for spending double the money on something that has a higher risk of failure? Does it bother you that I believe it is lazy to take the easy road out rather than take pride in the intricate workings of a project? Does it bother you that I question your judgement and decision making skills? If it does, well, I couldn't care less. Thats the beauty of an opinion. I have mine and if you don't like it who cares? Not me. There is no point arguing with me when you won't change my mind, I already think you're lazy, and wasteful financially, etc. I didn't post that to argue with you. I posted my opinion and that was all. Frankly, you have made your opinion very clear throughout this thread and furthermore this forum. (Not actually insulting, merely making a point)

You know what, I am enjoying the active versus passive debate because it is a very interesting topic, and I have NOT gotten on anyone's case who espouse either side, but you, sir, are a troll. You are one of those annoying people who think that debating a topic necessitates personal attack and passive-aggressive sniping. You accusation of his "emotional state" is nothing but a Straw Man argument because all you did was misrepresent his position (with accusations of emotional involvement) in order to deflect his actual points.

Sorry, not buying.

I understand what you and other say about passive gear, but your argument loses ALL SUBSTANCE when you denigrate and attack someone for something they did not do. For the record, Abzurd was NOT being emotional at all. He was giving his opinion in a calm, methodical, calculated way. If anyone is coming off emotional here, it is you with the above paragraph. You may indeed have something to say, I don't know. Because I am NOT 100% convinced either way on this topic, but your "debating tactic" is marginal at best and steeped in adolescent tantrum.

Oh and for the record, I am not mad either. I am just calling you on your sophomoiric bull{censored}.

• CMS Author

Okay, this ends now.

MX DRUMMER, your posts are insulting and condescending. Drop that attitude now or post somewhere else. I'm not going to babysit you. Edit the insults and any hint of attitude from your posts, or they'll be deleted and you'll have a few weeks off to reconsider how you related to people here. The clock is ticking.

Everyone else, please back off.

• Members

So....anyway,
Got my computer back up and running, made the switch from Cox Communications (cable tv) to Verizon Fios this morning.
Please I beg all of you, lets not have a debate of Cable V's Fios:D

Going to send off a email to Yorkville with all the info and see what they say.
Already talked with my dealer and if needed I can borrow a LS801P from him, but I think I am going to give my TX9/QW3 rig a run for a little bit anyway.

And by the way, the sub has been playing music through it for 6-hours now without interuption :confused:

• Members

Excellent work can be done with either.

There are pros and cons to either.

There are good and bad examples of either.

There are valid reasons for buying one and not the other, and for owning both.

If someone chooses to understand audio engineering, they can take a class.

If someone is lazy, they won't be bringing a PA to the show, no matter which type it is.

If someone wants to do a show and make money, buy whatever works in the situation and be done with it.

What works for some, will not work for others, and that could be either side of this debate.

The only essential factors of a PA are:

It has enough SQ to satisfy the people paying for it.

It has enough SPL to do the job.

It can be paid for, stored, transported, setup, and operated satisfactorily by the owner or his minions.

It meets the needs of the person writing the check.

You will notice that these all hinge on final determination by the person writing a check, not someone reading a thread on HC. There is education to be acquired at HC. Sometimes I give it out and sometimes I receive it. However, my business decisions are MY business decisions, as they are for each person here. What any one of us thinks of someone else's choices is merely anecdotal to any discussion, not germane.

It is fine to discuss the pros and cons of each, since that is why we are here (aside from the opportunity to make snarky remarks at each other's expense.) It is not fine to impose one's judgement on others.

• Members

Why are you getting so upset abzurd? Does it bother you that I think you are ignorant for spending double the money on something that has a higher risk of failure? Does it bother you that I believe it is lazy to take the easy road out rather than take pride in the intricate workings of a project?

Since you are getting a speaker with built-in amplifiers - optimally chosen and processed to maximize performance (including internal bi-amping) - while taking into consideration the specifications of individual drivers AND including protection, pre-EQ, limiting AND a built-in mixer in many cases - a powered speaker is not double the money as passive speakers + amplifiers + processing that would be required to get the same output and sound quality. Your mention that they have a higher risk of failure is complete BS in my experience (and that of many others).

It has little to do with being lazy, but more to do with the typical musician being able to get better sound more easily and with less chance of destroying equipment by making common beginner mistakes (like using too big an amplifier). You obviously don't like active, and that's fine - but you might try to add more weight to your arguments by choosing facts or actual experiences rather than just condescending remarks to those who don't agree with you. How many active speakers have you owned vs passive? What were the issues you encountered? I've been using active for over 6 years, but did use passive for 15 years+. I would never go back, and have not had a single failure with powered...

Al

• Members

Since you are getting a speaker with built-in amplifiers - optimally chosen and processed to maximize performance (including internal bi-amping) - while taking into consideration the specifications of individual drivers AND including protection, pre-EQ, limiting AND a built-in mixer in many cases - a powered speaker is
not
double the money as passive speakers + amplifiers + processing that would be required to get the same output and sound quality. Your mention that they have a higher risk of failure is complete BS in my experience (and that of many others).

It has little to do with being lazy, but more to do with the typical musician being able to get better sound more easily and with less chance of destroying equipment by making common beginner mistakes (like using too big an amplifier). You obviously don't like active, and that's fine - but you might try to add more weight to your arguments by choosing facts or actual experiences rather than just condescending remarks to those who don't agree with you. How many active speakers have you owned vs passive? What were the issues you encountered? I've been using active for over 6 years, but did use passive for 15 years+. I would never go back, and have not had a single failure with powered...

Al

I thought you were agedhorse until I looked at your avatar heh

• Members

Excellent work can be done with either.

There are pros and cons to either.

There are good and bad examples of either.

There are valid reasons for buying one and not the other, and for owning both.

If someone chooses to understand audio engineering, they can take a class.

If someone is lazy, they won't be bringing a PA to the show, no matter which type it is.

If someone wants to do a show and make money, buy whatever works in the situation and be done with it.

What works for some, will not work for others, and that could be either side of this debate.

The only essential factors of a PA are:

It has enough SQ to satisfy the people paying for it.

It has enough SPL to do the job.

It can be paid for, stored, transported, setup, and operated satisfactorily by the owner
or his minions

It meets the needs of the person writing the check.

You will notice that these all hinge on final determination by the person writing a check, not someone reading a thread on HC. There is education to be acquired at HC. Sometimes I give it out and sometimes I receive it. However, my business decisions are MY business decisions, as they are for each person here. What any one of us thinks of someone else's choices is merely anecdotal to any discussion, not germane.

It is fine to discuss the pros and cons of each, since that is why we are here (aside from the opportunity to make snarky remarks at each other's expense.) It is not fine to impose one's judgement on others.

Minions? I want minions. How do I get minions? Details man, details!

Archived