The end of FM radio/The future of radio is digital?

samal50

• Members

In 2017, Norway will be first country to shut down FM radio

The Ministry of Culture has finalized a transition date

http://www.theverge.com/2015/4/19/84...-fm-radio-2017

Norway will shut down FM radio in the country beginning in 2017, Radio.no reports. The Norwegian Ministry of Culture finalized a shift date this week, making it the first country to do away with FM radio entirely. The country plans to transition to Digital Audio Broadcasting (DAB) as a national standard.

FM IS EIGHT TIMES MORE EXPENSIVE THAN DAB

I had a thread that inquired about how to own or start a radio station, maybe there is a future in DAB in the U.S. and maybe it will be cheaper to own and run by individuals rather than by companies? This should get interesting. Wouldn't it be fun to own your own station and you can play anything you want and anyone can tune in on the radios at home and in the car without it being an "internet radio" or "satellite radio"? I guess this could be the next revolution where anyone can have their radio shows with just an app and will broadcast across regionally, locally, statewide, nationwide or even globally.Imagine that none of the bigwigs determine what gets played and shoved up everyone' ears?

The drawback here may be that nothing becomes a trend since the majors have competition and what gets played on the radio aren't "controlled" anymore. Could be a wild west...

• Moderators

I'm with you...the issue with internet radio, for me, is lack of quality presentation...either it all sounds too 'programmed', and/or the 'personalities' are substandard...then again, I worked in major market/top tier radio, so I know quality...

Terrestrial radio [silly differentiation] vs 'satellite' stations like XM/Sirius was a logical leap, and they are done more 'professionally'...most of the internet 'stations' are niche, low budget and lacking in professionalism, IMHO.

There is no denying that the technological advances in digital have made signficant inroads into the traditional realm of radio. Pretty much anyone with a thousand mp3s and a USB microphone can have their own 'station' theses days....but is that really in the public interest, or another instance of '15 minutes of fame' gone wrong?

• Members

I know I will be showing my age, however ... here goes — I remember the first time my parent purchased a car with a real factory built FM stereo. It was a 1973 Ford Thunderbird that was creamy yellow with a green faux gator skin vinyl top. Until then all of our cars had AM only. As a musician, this was like a sudden nirvana for me. I mean, we went from radio in the car that sounded like a transistor radio to this glorious concert hall of sound.

While I do use Sirius XM in my truck now, I much prefer to ride in silence.

It will be interesting to see where this goes ....

• Moderators

I remember having to put an FM converter box in my 65 'Cuda...and then, thankfully a cassette player and stereo speakers...1972...yeah, I'm really grand-daddymack...

Most FM stations have gone digital here, and frankly, much like listening to an iPod vs a tube driven stereo amp with a direct drive tt, I can tell, but I don't care...the sound is adequate...if I go on long drives, I play CDs...

Archived