Power Conditioners - Use on Power Amps or Not?

• Members

Curious as to what yalls take is on this.

I have a FurmanPL-PLUS-C

running a Yamaha CP2000 power amp

running a Crown XTI 4000 power amp.

From the reading I have found on other forums, recommendation is to go straight to wall.

Thoughts?

• Members

That is not a "power conditioner", at least in any real scenario.

And two large amps plugged into 15A MOV-style trip circuit is probably a bad idea from a practical standpoint (show-ruining false trips)

• Members

Not to mention that the on/off switch on those conditioners is often nowhere near as robust as on a power amp - so they will burn out if you leave the amps on and power up using the conditoner's switch. I've had this happen to me on supposedly "expensive" power boxes in conjunction with powered speakers.

• Members

I'm in the minority here, I use the middle atlantic rack power strips and only have 2 or 3 (one is a HF amp) per strip. Convenience only, alway turns amps on/off individually. always. I've tripped the internal breaker twice in 5 years on one of them.

• Members

I've tripped the internal breaker twice in 5 years on one of them.

For me, that's definitely two times too many. I have dealt with one once on a 15A MOV type protector; I found it completely embarassing.

Another will not see use for me in that type of situation.

• Members

For me, that's definitely two times too many. I have dealt with one once on a 15A MOV type protector; I found it completely embarassing.

Another will not see use for me in that type of situation.

Agreed, that's 2 unnecessary and preventable failures.

• Members

I use one but not for power conditioning just pure convenience of rack mounted outlets (8 in back and 2 in front) and testing the outlet I'm plugging into. It has a voltage readout and ground fault and proper wiring LED's. It also has sequential power up/down. I don't really expect it to really do anything else though.

Archived