How To Write Lead Guitar Parts For Metal/Metalcore

• Members

I've tried the singing approach before, but singing is just not in my blood. Whenever I song, it could out broken and icky.

Also, this thread turned into something very tense from 1001gear's and Poparad's comments...was not expecting that.

• Members
When it comes to metal' date=' I see two types of player. The jock who just likes the rush of the ride or the legit talent/serial killer/??? [/quote']

I actually find this very personally offensive. Please apologize. I've never seen a more inaccurate or ignorant characterization of musicians who like to play heavy metal. Especially the "legit talent/serial killer/???" part... I'm not even sure what that's supposed to mean. You met alot of metal guitarists who are actually serial killers? These kind of comments are way out of line and completely inappropriate. You really have no business on this forum if you're going to come into it with that attitude.

• Members

Woah woah woah, everyone calm down please. There is no need to fight over this -- we're not 4chan by any means. Let's just respect each other's opinion and debate them peacefully and intelligently.

Thank you all for replying and sharing your opinions. I will look over them again soon whenever I'm not stone-dead tired.

• Members
1001gear' date=' you're entitled to your opinion of the music, and expressing it once is fine. What you're doing here is trolling, taunting and harassing, not "enlightening". The fact that you think you're telling "the truth" doesn't give you the right to interfere with a thread.[/quote']

Pops said "awful advice" without specifying so I responded with an explanation. Why is that taunting? Or repetition? The OP himself seemed in good humor per his comment earlier and only seemed discouraged by the modding. Soulsonic has challenged a statement I made. Am I not allowed to acknowledge? It seems I'm the one being taunted.

• Members

1001gear is a good guy. Just confused sometimes! :)

For real, however, 1001gear, I checked the comments in the post above and they seem to be attributed to the correct person commenting. Not sure what you saw.

No, shake it off ... and back to your regularly scheduled thread.

D

• Members
1001gear is a good guy. Just confused sometimes! :)

For real, however, 1001gear, I checked the comments in the post above and they seem to be attributed to the correct person commenting. Not sure what you saw.

No, shake it off ... and back to your regularly scheduled thread.

D

I'll post clarification back in the bug thread. As to this thread, I would like to continue the discussion but Craig V defacto said you (me) are rong. STFU.

For reel, WTF ? :idk:

• Members

Hoo boy.

Anyway, music is rhythm first. Even a speedy solo needs to have a pulse and a pattern, or it's going to be bad. Further, even solos, or sections of solos that are just fountains of notes will have patterns within them to create rhythms; picture the tapped sections, they all utilize timed arpeggio changes to introduce a pulse inside the flow of notes. Use accented notes to break up runs. Whatever it takes.

Work on your vibrato, metal solos usually utilize sharp, rapid pitch changes, unless they are timed to the beat of the song.

One of the advantages of singing a part is it forces breaks for breath. Even in a dense solo, there will be little "gasps" built in. The busiest solos still have space built in, contrasts are always needed. Without slow, nothing is fast.

Compositionally, you have good advice here. One trick I picked up somewhere (maybe a Gilbert instructional?) is to loop a short section you want to solo over. Think of the rhythm you want to lay over it, and improvise that couple of measures. Keep repeating until you have a few ideas that work, then you can string them together, make one a theme that returns periodically, write 'em backwards, or cut 'em to pieces and reassemble them.

And, always, listen. listen to other songs, other styles, other instruments. Listen to the track you're playing over. Listen.

• 1 month later...
  • Members
Singing can be very helpful. Try playing, or listening to a recording of, whatever thing you're trying to write a solo for, and try singing a solo along to it. Chances are good that you'll probably be able to sing something that you think fits really well - this is a natural ability because voice is the one instrument all people are naturally adapted to. Record yourself singing these solos along with the rest of the music, and then figure out how to play it on guitar.

In reality, a great deal of music is composed by singing it first. This goes for Metal too... the Gorguts album Obscura was pretty much arranged and rehearsed entirely by singing prior to recording. They would all sit around and sing their parts and the drummer tapped out the rhythms with his hands. Of course, Gorguts are all "serious" conservatory-type musicians...but that's my case in point: they're crazy metal guys who take the "serious music school" approach to creating their music. And it's some of the best metal ever, in my opinion.

Lots of Bartok influence in that album...

Steve Harris used to do this for Maiden back in the day. There's a pretty funny set of videos in one of their "History of..." documentaries that has Dave and Adrian talking about how Steve would come in with some song idea, playing the bass, then stomping out the drums at the same time with his feet, then whistling the melody lines in between singing the roughed out vocal parts. Then Steve gives an example of it. Pretty funny to watch, but it worked!

• 1 month later...
  • Members

Write guitar solos? I would have sworn the guitar player just goes "weedly, weedly, weedly, weedly, woo!" ... for about 31 measures ... or until somebody else takes it to the bridge ... whatever comes first. If he stays in key the whole time ... he's a good guitar player! ;-)

• Members
Write guitar solos? I would have sworn the guitar player just goes "weedly' date=' weedly, weedly, weedly, woo!" ... for about 31 measures ... or until somebody else takes it to the bridge ... whatever comes first. If he stays in key the whole time ... he's a [i']good[/i] guitar player! ;-)

If you take those "keys" for the pedal points they are, then anything fast and ugly should be the magic.

• Members

Oops Metalcore (lol) It seems to favor odds and ends from the Classical / early Romantic period. So just cop the notes. Make sure you learn to use diminished seventh chords authentically. And no dynamics and / or drama. That's for the singer.

Oops Metalcore (lol) It seems to favor odds and ends from the Classical / early Romantic period. So just cop the notes. Make sure you learn to use diminished seventh chords authentically. And no dynamics and / or drama. That's for the singer.

I've already warned you about mocking people about the music they're interested in. Any more of this and I'm banning you.

Ok. FWIW I mock no people here just the genre. Hopefully some will be thusly enlightened and undertake a broader' date=' more complete musical journey.[/quote']

When you mock the style that the poster has interest in learning, you're mocking them indirectly for liking it. Just because you can't see value in a style of music, doesn't mean that it isn't there, and that many other people do value and enjoy it.

Archived