Not late April Fools -- Gibson has bought -- saved -- HC.

blue2blue

• Members

It's not been much of a secret that the old owners had and have some serious business challenges of their own. They did their best to nurture HC, I think, given their corporate culture, and we can thank them for getting us this far.

But former and once-again HC Editor-in-Chief Craig Anderton -- despite an apparently very busy schedule shepherding Gibson products to market -- worked with the CEO of GIbson behind the scenes. As he explains it, he was first hired with the notion of creating a Gibson-owned but brand-neutral music info site and, as things evolved, it became possible (maybe necessary for us) for Gibson to acquire HC from the former owners.

Obviously, this removed a dark cloud that had settled over HC, particularly as business difficulties had mounted for the former owners. HC was a cork floating on troubled waters.

This buyout strikes me as pretty much nothing but good news for HC regulars (you know who you are and I think a lot of you are right here in this forum :D ) and signals renewed financial support and a return to the strong vision of a wide-spectrum, musician-facing community site that Craig and company nurtured and kept alive under a series of manifestly unfortunate decisions that had been imposed from the old management (with the best of intentions, to be sure, there were some fine people supporting HC from the MF/GC side; unfortunately, they didn't have full control either).

Here's Craig's announcement in the SSS forum: http://www.harmonycentral.com/forum/forum/Forums_General/acapella-50/31465321-gibson-brands-acquires-harmony-central

• Members

The important bottom line: previously, decisions about HC tended to come from above. Now, Craig is in charge, his position at Gibson is strong and central, and the CEO of Gibson itself has signaled his strong support for the kind of independent, general interest musician site members and volunteer mods have always wanted HC to be. thumb_zps456fc56e.gif

• Members
Maybe the new rulers will be able to move: http://www.harmonycentral.com/forum/...ns-and-answers from the Songwriting Workshop to a more harmonic central place?

Ha! I thought that was at the top of all the forums. (It's not. Or not any more. Shows how much I've gotten around in recent months.)

It's unstuck [and so disappeared into the depths] now. Thanks for pointing that out!

• Members

It is, indeed!

It wasn't really appropriate to talk about a lot of the previous ordeals when they were going down but now that the transition is complete, the long-suffering Craig Anderton (who essentially took all the arrows for decisions largely made by others) was able to open up a bit and tell some of the back story. Mods were privy only to some of it, but everything he says in his posts in his 'welcome back' thread ring true to what I know.

Gibson appears to have a strong commitment to HC, and to keeping it neutral. (In fairness to MF/GC, I never ran across them complaining about content that wasn't flattering to those businesses; the problems seemed to be in certain middle management sectors and the decisions they imposed [like the disastrous attempted move to the Jive community platform].)

http://www.harmonycentral.com/forum/forum/Forums_General/acapella-50/31465321-gibson-brands-acquires-harmony-central

Anyway, it looks like that long nightmare is over and HC can begin rebuilding.

Even though I haven't been around much, I've kept an eye on things and I've been heartened by the steadfast members of the SW forum community soldiering on. thumb_zps456fc56e.gif

• Members

One thing that you may not be aware of that has been happening every day for the past month or so:

HC switches out the lights for 2 or 3 hours at round about 6.00pm to 9.00pm Australian time (which is a damn nuisance).

That's about pre-dawn US time - so I'm guessing there is some economy in this for someone. But it sure limits my access times.

• Members
Any news on this? There's still HC blackout in Oz every evening.

I reported this issue but never got the automated notification that should have been sent when there was an answer last week. =/

This is apparently a problem that's been happening for a number of people and, as you note, regularly. They are working to try to get to the bottom of it. You are not, by any stretch, the only victim. ;)

Without getting into it, let's just say that many important things were not getting done under the old owners who, well, let's be real, probably felt they had bigger problems.

Archived