Gibson Brands Acquires Harmony Central!

Anderton

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Well, this is good. I love my Epiphone SG Prophecy EX even though it's made in China. I bought it just to beat around with, but it's become a serious instrument in my studio. I was surprised by the good quality. This has nothing to do with anything except it's my only connection to Gibson for now.

• Members

My vintage Tascam collection doesn't count because it's all pre Gibson, right? Or am I more part of the tribe than I thought? It's like the question, can something made in America under British rule before the Revolution now be said to have been made in the USA? I'm thinking not.

• Members
My vintage Tascam collection doesn't count because it's all pre Gibson, right? Or am I more part of the tribe than I thought? It's like the question, can something made in America under British rule before the Revolution now be said to have been made in the USA? I'm thinking not.

LOL! biggrin.gif

• Members
I wish it were Fender®
I wish it was the aliens from Cigna-X - maybe they have the technology to fix the software wink.png .

The thick poly finish on my Mikey Way signature Squire Mustang Bass cracked off so I'm not too happy with Fender at the moment.

smiley-angry002.gif

• Members
So when does the actual changeover happen? I'm so positive about this that I might even switch off Adblock once Gibson is getting the benefit.

Yeah, I'm that excited.

Don't expect any big changeover right now...we have a lot of work ahead of us. As Dendy pointed out elsewhere, there's hardly any forum software that can handle the size of HC's database...we have to evaluate lots of things and make lots of decisions. HC has gone through years of deterioration and platform changes, and while hopefully it won't take years to get it back into shape again, it's not going to be instant.

Also, the world has changed...forum participation net-wide isn't what it was. But to me, that doesn't mean forums are dead, it means they need to adapt to a format that makes them relevant again. I have some ideas along those lines :)

I think good topics, good discussions, cool articles, opinions, controversy, and coverage of what needs covering are the areas where we need to start. There were a lot of constraints before about content that simply don't exist any more. Gibson wants HC to be "real" and truly represent the groupthought of a community, otherwise it won't be of any use to anyone. This site isn't about selling products, it's about getting people excited about making music, being creative, and having fun with all the gear - not just dwell on gear for gear's sake.

As Dave Hill from Cranesong said to me at Messe, "It's time to stop telling people what this stuff is, and start telling people how to make music with it." I couldn't agree more.

People are welcome to be skeptical...the only problem is that a "wait and see" attitude means they won't be shaping what this site is all about. The people who contribute will be the ones who create Harmony Central.

You're ALL part of Harmony Central now. It's not Gibson's, it's yours. Gibson bought HC to give to you and because Gibson recognized that no one wanted to see HC die, which was what was going to happen next.

Can Phil, Dendy, Chris and I save HC? Maybe. Can you save it? Definitely.

• Members
Don't expect any big changeover right now...
The only "big changeover" I'd like to see right now is better communications. Do all youse guys read the "community voice" forums? Seems like there's just one or two of you that check in there less than once a day. I'd repeat here what I've been posting there but that'd be kinda like draggin' a dead horse to water, eh wink.png ?

• Members
The only "big changeover" I'd like to see right now is better communications. Do all youse guys read the "community voice" forums?

No, I haven't been but the other editors do. My time has been consumed by reviewing Asset Purchase Agreements and losing sleep over DNS transfers...as well as being in Frankfurt, covering the show. Also I spent very little time on HC prior to the acquisition because being involved with HC was not part of my gig, but it most definitely is now!

• Members

I agree with Craig about the internet changing, however, I still like the forums better than much of the other social mediums that exist.

Why? Have you ever wanted to show something you saw earlier on FB and gone back to try to find it? It is a mind bender.

At least here, you can post it, and it remains relatively easy to find and resurface again.

Not so on almost every other interface.

D

• Members

I used to absolutely hate forums and mostly hung out on newsgroups and emailing lists. I do believe HC was the first forum I really found useful smile.png . But then again before all that it was BBS's and FidoNet, I even ran a two line BBS myself that I wrote the code for cool.png .

• Moderators
Have you ever wanted to show something you saw earlier on FB and gone back to try to find it? It is a mind bender.

At least here, you can post it, and it remains relatively easy to find and resurface again.

Not so on almost every other interface.

D

That's for sure!!! :thu:

Terry D.

Archived