Friday Influences Thread 04-10-15

Lee Knight

• Moderators

Boy Howdy! (Creem anyone?)

I grew up watching Leonard Bernstein either conducting, playing or... teaching music.Early on I recognized that "That's that guy who wrote the music to that "When you're a Jet you're a Jet, song!!! Be coool, boy...". A music nerd early on. And this is what hooked me. No, I'm not quite that old, they were re-runs.

• Moderators

Carol Bayer Sager and Neil Sedaka. The thing that always got me about this tune... it's just one long verse. The development of the line right through a single section is really very cool. Then when they repeat it? Counterpoint in the backups. Simple and cool. And catchy enough to make me want to buy a beanie cap, maracas and a skinned tambourine.

• Members

Followed these guys around when I was in high school... in fact, they went to my high school. I remember one time, sneaking out on a school night... parents not knowing where I was... meanwhile, I was in downtown Philly at the Theater of Living Arts dancing on stage with these guys. Which, if you know me, is a big deal... because I uh... don't dance. That's how moved I was by the concert though.

• Members
I grew up watching Leonard Bernstein either conducting, playing or... teaching music.Early on I recognized that "That's that guy who wrote the music to that "When you're a Jet you're a Jet, song!!! Be coool, boy...". A music nerd early on. And this is what hooked me. No, I'm not quite that old, they were re-runs.

Yeah... [finger snap]

• Members

I've tried really hard to get into Joni Mitchell. I know she is a hell of a songwriter and a hell of a performer. She has a unique sound. I want to like her, but something about her vocal delivery takes me out of it. One of my musical mentors has tried to get me into her. When I had lyrics in front of me I could get real into it, but each time I listened without, I couldn't really understand what she was saying and I found myself tuning out.

• Members

She has an idiosyncratic sense of vocal pitch and harmony and if that scrapes you the wrong way that's going to be a problem across the board with her stuff.

You're a Band fan - try this one (Robbie Robertson guesting on guitar):

• Members

Thanks for posting that and not assuming I was just trying to be a contrarian or a negative nancy if you will (RIP GJ)

That's a cool track. Musically it's hitting, lyrically its great.

He was sitting in the lounge of the Empire Hotel

He was drinking for diversion

He was thinking for himself

A little money riding on the Maple Leafs *

Along comes a lady in lacy sleeves

She says let me sit down

You know, drinkin' alone's a shame

It's a shame it's a crying shame

Look at those jokers

Glued to that damn hockey game

Hey honey-you've got lots of cash

Bring us round a bottle

And we'll have some laughs

Gin's what I'm drinking

I was raised on robbery

I'm a pretty good cook

I'm sitting on my groceries

Come up to my kitchen

I'll show you my best recipe

I try and I try but I can't save a cent

I'm up after midnight cooking

Trying to make my rent

I'm rough but I'm pleasin'

I was raised on robbery

We had a little money once

They were pushing through a four lane highway

Government gave us three thousand dollars

You should have seen it fly away

First he bought a '57 Biscayne *

He put it in the ditch

He drunk up all the rest

That son of a bitch

His blood's bad whiskey

I was raised on robbery

You know you ain't bad looking

I like the way you hold your drinks

Come home with me honey

I ain't asking for no full length mink

Hey, where you going

Don't go yet

Your glass ain't empty and we just met

You're mean when you're loaded

I was raised on robbery

However, I think you already summed it up pretty well for me already. :)

• Members

I keep coming back to this new Brian Wilson album. (Though I do miss Jeff Foskett's voice; it's too bad he had to pack up and move back in with the Beach Boys touring band thanks to Brian's wife...)

• Members

Paul Siebel, "Any Day Woman" from his 1970 LP Woodsmoke and Oranges.

Music critic Ronnie D. Lankford, Jr. wrote, "Siebel and company crafted an incredible record that still sounds vibrant 30 years after the fact ... few artists ever craft an album this good."

• Members

Met Chad and Jeremy several years ago and pitched Chad a few songs then he changed his email...was it something I said? He has made a lot of money off this song. Lives in Idaho and teaches guitar now...

• Members
I've tried really hard to get into Joni Mitchell. I know she is a hell of a songwriter and a hell of a performer. She has a unique sound. I want to like her, but something about her vocal delivery takes me out of it. One of my musical mentors has tried to get me into her. When I had lyrics in front of me I could get real into it, but each time I listened without, I couldn't really understand what she was saying and I found myself tuning out.

That's really interesting - I'm always fascinated by what makes music click with some people and not with others. Or how music suddenly "makes sense" after being opaque for years and years.

I'd say this about Joni - no matter how sophisticated she became over the years, her performance vibe has always required the kind of rapt attention that the folkies and early folk-rock types got from their small audiences in their formative years. She writes dense lyrics, she melodicizes (a word?) all over the place, she is, as she admits, "heavy company" so much of the time.

It takes a sort of submission to her particular spell - when she tries to charm, she is never at her best. When she is totally self-absorbed and spinning out webs of sound straight from her intense interiority, she's at her best. What a paradox in some ways. This photo of Clapton watching her play in Cass Elliot's backyard (Crosby brought her to show her off as his new discovery) says it all - you have to drink her kool-aid.

fetch?id=31465821

• Members

That's really interesting - I'm always fascinated by what makes music click with some people and not with others. Or how music suddenly "makes sense" after being opaque for years and years.

I'd say this about Joni ... when she tries to charm, she is never at her best. When she is totally self-absorbed and spinning out webs of sound straight from her intense interiority, she's at her best. What a paradox in some ways. ... you have to drink her kool-aid.

Annie Ross wrote this "vocalese" lyric to a be-bop tenor sax solo.

The fact that Joni recorded it says something about her. Or not.

And anyone who tunes her guitar "to the sound of that day, because I play in open tunings, like a raga, so I tuned to the crows and the seagulls, and the, the sonic references available..." is a bit wacky.

Or not.

[video=youtube;65TZ-QyguRA]

Like her or don't, she's one of a kind...

• Members

I'd say this about Joni - no matter how sophisticated she became over the years, her performance vibe has always required the kind of rapt attention that the folkies and early folk-rock types got from their small audiences in their formative years. She writes dense lyrics, she melodicizes (a word?) all over the place, she is, as she admits, "heavy company" so much of the time.

It takes a sort of submission to her particular spell - when she tries to charm, she is never at her best. When she is totally self-absorbed and spinning out webs of sound straight from her intense interiority, she's at her best. What a paradox in some ways. This photo of Clapton watching her play in Cass Elliot's backyard (Crosby brought her to show her off as his new discovery) says it all - you have to drink her kool-aid.

I wasn't "there" for it, but from what I gather I think you're spot on. That's a cool pic too.

• Members

And anyone who tunes her guitar "to the sound of that day, because I play in open tunings, like a raga, so I tuned to the crows and the seagulls, and the, the sonic references available..." is a bit wacky.

Wacky is good. Hearing this type of thing makes me "like" her even more.

Archived