I took my amp to the repair shop

mbengs1

• Members

My amp became so trebly one day it sounded like a swarm of bees. I had to use a graphic equalizer pedal to lower the treble and boost the bass frequencies. Now i decided to have the amp fixed and brought back to a more balanced EQ. I hope it comes out great! I'll get back the amp in a week or two.

• Members

That amp is a newer model so it shouldn't be having issues with things like bad caps. It does have two preamps, one for clean and one for high gain.

Here are some additional troubleshooting questions.

Did the problem occur all at once like night and day or was it a gradual symptom?

Did you loan your amp out?

Do both channels sound thin?

Are you using any boxes before the amp and have you tried the amp directly plugged in?

Are you using the effects loop, and if so have you removed everything from that loop?

Does the speaker wattage match or exceed the head?

Have you ever rewired the cab or swapped speakers?

Does the speaker impedance match the heads settings or were you running an oddball impedance?

What kind of speakers are in the cab/s?

Did you notice the power tubes color? Did the pates turn bright orange or did they have a tint of blue.

Did you ever use the guitars cord as a speaker cord?

Are you using a guitar cord as a speaker cord?

If the channels are switchable, did you try removing the switch and switching channels manually?

These are only a few questions to narrow down possibilities.

• Members

A bad crossover cap might do that...but since a crossover cap increases it's filtering of trebles and decreases it's filtering of bass as it fails, a bad crossover cap would typically make an amp sound muddy.

Could be a cap in the tone stack or a cathode cap. Of course it could just be a bad tube if you haven't tried tube rolling.

• Members

I have a Peavey Classic thirty. I can't describe my problem as a "swarm of bees" but I suddenly noticed mine have a similar problem. I found myself having to turn the treble all the way out and boost bass and mids to get it sounding better. I thought it was my homemade strat. Started plugging in other guitars and found it to be the same, no matter the guitar. Trying to add any trebles makes it very ice picky. Extremely bright, almost painful. My other amps sound just fine.

Any thoughts on the cause? I'm thinking it is a tube.....

• Members
I have a Peavey Classic thirty. I can't describe my problem as a "swarm of bees" but I suddenly noticed mine have a similar problem. I found myself having to turn the treble all the way out and boost bass and mids to get it sounding better. I thought it was my homemade strat. Started plugging in other guitars and found it to be the same, no matter the guitar. Trying to add any trebles makes it very ice picky. Extremely bright, almost painful. My other amps sound just fine.

I'll sum up what WRG was asking. Using the right cord/s? Any recent work or speaker swaps? Stock tubes?

• Members

I guess its a capacitor or another electrical component gone bad.

• Members

My buddy has that amp. We played together in a band for a couple of years and it started sounding really awful. He eventually bought all new tubes for it and it was like day and night. Depending on how much they are used, Combos may get a year or two out of tubes until the elements start rattling apart. The way fatigued tubes sound can vary depending on the amp design. On the peavey it simply faded badly. It sounded grainy when it should sound tight, clean and punchy and the EQ controls just weren't doing what they should. Part of this may have been the stock tubes.

I believe he put in all Ruby Tubes in there which were recommended to him by a Peavey Engineer. The original owner of the amp, a guy named Mark May played in the Dicky Betts band for awhile. He had a Peavey endorsement which supplied gear to him for wholesale costs, and he agreed to do all his shows using the gear for advertisement purposes and give feedback on what the gear needed to be better. He was told by the engineer that Either Ruby tubes would make the amp sound a lot better. Electro Harmonix and JJ's are great tubes too, much better then the stock Chinese tubes that come with the amp and only last a short time.

Once you get new tubes, if you aren't fully satisfied, then you can think about modding the tone stack to more closely match a Fender amp.

http://blueguitar.org/new/articles/blue_gtr/amps/peavey/c30_origmod.pdf