Ways around Alesis MMT-8 small memory?

• Members
On 3/3/2020 at 10:21 PM, mindbend said:
I just stumbled on some old MMT8 files that I have on my computer. They are nearly 30 years old! I bought a used MMT8 from ebay and would love to load these files to it, but I have no idea how the heck I saved these files in the first place. I thought they might be MIDI files, but it doesn't seem like it. I added .midi as the file extension and no luck. Now I'm thinking they might be sysex. Any thoughts on how I might get these files into the MMT8? I'm on OS X.
Here's a link to a couple of the files:

They are probably SysEx files containing a complete "dump" of the MMT-8 memory.  The proper extension would be .SYX.

To load them back into your MMT-8, just "send" them via MIDI.  The sequencer will automatically receive them (overwriting whatever is currently in memory, so save that first if it is important).

On OS X, you can use any SysEx utility program (do some Googling, there are plenty of free/trail options), or most DAWs have some kind of MIDI/SysEx utility feature built-in.

A simple and free program for the Mac that I have used is "SysEx Librarian":  https://www.snoize.com/sysexlibrarian/