Friday Influences Thread 04-03-15

Lee Knight

• Moderators

In an experiment at University of Kent, children 5-8 were asked to go into a room and throw a velcro "dart" at a velcro "dart board" and come out and tell the researchers how they did a) with an adult sitting in the room, b) with nobody in the room but a hidden camera, and c) with an empty chair where "Invisible Princess Alice" sat. Almost all kids ran up and stuck their dart in the bullseye and returned to tell a fib, "Look what I did!", in the empty room. The adult occupied room gathered considerably less bullseyes. The room with Invisible Princess Alice?

Every child walked up to the dart board and looked at the chair next to it. The majority returned to the line and threw in a fair attempt. Then there was the small but ever persistent group that walked up and looked at the chair, shook their heads with near disgust and stuck the ball smack dab in the middle. LOOK WHAT I DID!!!

We're all cheaters. Only a few of us are skeptics. But we can learn.

In further studies they found that the scientific thought process of the skeptic was a very easy skill to teach. And the cheating naturally dies down with age. Good info in the age of the interwebz.

The Punch Brothers were truly amazing. Not often I get to see such a high level of musicality and skill all wrapped up into an innocent looking entertainment package. Then realize you're in church and not a concert hall. If there is a god, he was whispering to me the other night at North Park Theater. This is live. Everything they do is live.

Radiohead via the Punch Brothers.

[video=youtube;bp-qVFNPYn0]

• Moderators

The opening act at the Punch Brothers show was an unknown to me. The veryveryvery talented and engaging Gabriel Kahane. The fingerpicking below is nothing compared to his near classical chops at the grand piano. All deivered with humor, crap drum machine programming before your eyes, very funny antedotes about each song, chops and great vocals. etc. And some very cool lyrics.

His album The Ambassador is comprised of songs with LA addresses as names. 3400 Wilshire was the address of the infamous Ambassador Hotel. Charlie Chap;in, Pickford, Coconut Grove, Bobby Kennedy's assassination. Lots of history.

[video=youtube;Xpi3lxjYglQ]

• Moderators

Kahane:

How... would...you feel... if we moved into the house where they shot Pulp Fiction?

We... put... the nursery... where Uma OD'd... a reminder indeed of the dangers of HERION ADDICTION!?!?

[video=youtube;BvMmTxBZozE]

• Members

Never heard of him before. Interesting influences...

From his Wikipedia page:

Gabriel Kahane is the son of a psychologist mother and the concert pianist and conductor Jeffrey Kahane.[1] He attended the New England Conservatory before transferring to Brown University, where he wrote his first musical and graduated with a bachelor's degree in music.

Kahane currently lives in Brooklyn and performs his original songs in venues across the United States. Kahane can be followed on Twitter[2] and tumblr.[3]

• Members

I spent the night in NYC last night with my wife... we went to see Ron Sexsmith at the City Winery, which is an AWESOME venue. Our seats were really close to the stage. It was super cool and inspiring. The man can write songs. His modesty and humbleness really shone through on stage.

Here is a shaky clip I took from my seat.

Also, my wife ended up chatting with his wife and she ended up giving her one of my cds. So... Ron Sexsmith has my album in his tour van! (She promised they'd listen to it... I don't know about that, but at the very least... it's going to be used for a coaster somewhere between NYC and Nashville). smile.png

[video=youtube_share;CGEM5aBY8bE]

• Members
In an experiment at University of Kent, children 5-8 were asked to go into a room and throw a velcro "dart" at a velcro "dart board" and come out and tell the researchers how they did a) with an adult sitting in the room, b) with nobody in the room but a hidden camera, and c) with an empty chair where "Invisible Princess Alice" sat. Almost all kids ran up and stuck their dart in the bullseye and returned to tell a fib, "Look what I did!", in the empty room. The adult occupied room gathered considerably less bullseyes. The room with Invisible Princess Alice?

Every child walked up to the dart board and looked at the chair next to it. The majority returned to the line and threw in a fair attempt. Then there was the small but ever persistent group that walked up and looked at the chair, shook their heads with near disgust and stuck the ball smack dab in the middle. LOOK WHAT I DID!!!

We're all cheaters. Only a few of us are skeptics. But we can learn.

In further studies they found that the scientific thought process of the skeptic was a very easy skill to teach. And the cheating naturally dies down with age. Good info in the age of the interwebz.

[video=youtube;bp-qVFNPYn0]

I wonder if the results of this test would be consistent across generations. Now you can guffaw, but I'd bet big money that, if my 5-8 year-old self took that test, I'd never stick the dart in the bullseye under any of the scenarios. I might edge over the throwing line a bit, yes - probably, yes. But telling an outright fib was almost impossible to me at that age - I would feel like my head would explode and probably turned every shade of red and purple before outright bawling when I even considered it. And to take credit for something I didn't do - there's no thrill, no payoff for me on that. They'll just ask you to do it again while they watch, right? I'm too careful to fall into that trap.

What I was, was sneaky. Stands to reason, right? If I would always confess under questioning, always tell the truth, (I can honestly say I never cheated in school, not once) then the best thing was to just keep quiet, stay under the radar, take no chances, have secret secrets. I did a lot of naughty things - stole stuff from stores, broke windows, threw stuff at passing cars, tried to shift blame, got into fights, cut up in class, etc, etc, - but I could not be a bald-faced liar. No nerves for it.

Generational? But of course, we're not talking about sex. That's the subject on which everyone lies. Or keeps total silence.

nat whilk ii

• Members
I spent the night in NYC last night with my wife... we went to see Ron Sexsmith at the City Winery' date=' which is an AWESOME venue. [/quote']

And you didn't call me...?

I'll bet you anything he does listen to your CD, and that he gets in touch...

• Members
From Brian's new album' date=' [i']No Pier Pressure. [/i]

[video=youtube;hTkM3uqWctg]

[video=youtube;lPT2qSUrmAw]

Love it!!!....here is Zooey Deschanel singing a simple Brian Wilson produced song

• Moderators

Oh man... That voice. Brian W has a way of making me smile while my chest tightens with a joyful, yet almost sad at the same time, melocholy. Does that make sense? It's the same feeling I get when I drive by the house I grew up in every 10 years or so,

theres something deep in his voice. Sorry, carry on

• Members
Oh man... That voice. Brian W has a way of making me smile while my chest tightens with a joyful' date=' yet almost sad at the same time, melocholy. Does that make sense? [/quote']

Are you kidding? I get the same feeling when someone just talks about Brian.

Here he is with Kacey Musgrave.

[video=youtube;kgSU2rnMR_k]

• Members
From Brian's new album' date=' [i']No Pier Pressure. [/i]

[video=youtube;hTkM3uqWctg]

Wow, that's way better than we possibly deserve from the guy at this point. A little bland, but a great melody, and fantastic parts..

• Members

Wow, that's way better than we possibly deserve from the guy at this point. A little bland, but a great melody, and fantastic parts..

Yeah, Brian did an interview with Billboard Magazine and said something similar.

"I am alive in 2015, and that feels great. I am proud that I have survived… I am proud to still be writing and singing songs that, to my ears, are fresh, original and vital. All course they're linked to the past. All music is. But I believe that my music transcends the past and, most critically, heals the heart, right here and now."

Here's one that sounds like it came from 1979, but it's still good!

[video=youtube;vp6oQmSvGC4]

Archived