Looking for some new headphones for live use

• Members

Sony MD7506

I am permanently attached to my 7506's, but they aren't really any better at the two facets his is concerned with (overall volume and isolation) than the 280s he already has -- maybe a little louder, but also a little less isolating.

FWIW, I have to imagine that by the time those Sennheisers (or a set of 7506s) are distorting as significantly as mentioned in the O.P., that they're well into permanent hearing-damage output levels.

• Members

I find the 7506's to be better isolating for my ears because they fit better. As far as the volume, I don't have any issues getting loud enough but I am driving them from a real console. I don't know what the OP's source is.

Actually, I prefer the 7502 but the isolation is not as good.

• Members

I am permanently attached to my 7506's, but they aren't really any better at the two facets his is concerned with (overall volume and isolation) than the 280s he already has -- maybe a little louder, but also a little less isolating.

FWIW, I have to imagine that by the time those Sennheisers (or a set of 7506s) are distorting as significantly as mentioned in the O.P., that they're well into permanent hearing-damage output levels.

Nope they're not into ear damaging territory as far as volume goes. I guess I could also have put it this way, With better isolation the volume wouldn't be an issue. So what would be equal output with better isolation?

• Members

I find the 7506's to be better isolating for my ears because they fit better. As far as the volume, I don't have any issues getting loud enough but I am driving them from a real console. I don't know what the OP's source is.

Actually, I prefer the 7502 but the isolation is not as good.

My source is a Studiolive or a Midas Venice. Unless I'm on a house console that's already there.

• Members

I currently have a pair of HD 280's but I need something with better volume and isolation. With the 280's they distort when I get to the needed volume to get over the lack of isolation.

You find the 280's to not isolate well? Those were going to be my recommendation specifically because they do isolate better than others. If they're distorting and you're not deaf, something's probably blown.

If the 280's aren't good enough, I'd try something like the Extreme Isolation Headphones

-Dan.

• Members

Denon AH-D2000. Dave Rat tested many headphones for live sound use, these were his top choice. I bought them based on his recommendation and now prefer them to my Sennheiser HD600 (open back), Sennheiser HD280, Sennheiser HD25-1, Shure EC3 (in ears) and Ultrasone HFI680. Isolation is decent, maybe a little better on my ears than the Sennheiser HD280. Sound quality is outstanding to my ears. Only downside is they are big, attractive to thieves on the set, and a bit heavy although I find them very comfortable and often forget I have them on.

• Members

Would you consider in-ear monitor earbuds? For example, Shure SE215. They come with a bunch of different tips of varying materials and sizes, to get them to fit just right. Excellent isolation, and can get louder than you'll ever need. Great sound quality as well.

• Members

Been using Sony MDR-V6 for the past 9 years. Had HD-280 also, but prefer the V6 because they are all broken on the band (plastic) unlike the V6 or 7506 that is made from metal. Plenty of volume from both headphone out of Studiolive.

That's my bummer on the HD-280 as well (cracked headband). Because of that I can't recommend.

Dave Rat did an extensive test and, as of 3 weeks ago via a YouTube response he says this when asked if the Denon D2000 is still leading the pack?

"Yes, the (Denon) D2000's and I am growing more? comfortable with the Shure SRH840's as an all around cost/durability/sound choice"

For tighter wallets Dave likes the Ultrasone HFI-680

• Members

Would you consider in-ear monitor earbuds? For example, Shure SE215. They come with a bunch of different tips of varying materials and sizes, to get them to fit just right. Excellent isolation, and can get louder than you'll ever need. Great sound quality as well.

I tried some earbuds once and it was too clumsy trying to get them on or off quickly. I think I'm going to give the Sony 7506's a try and see how I like them. I have some gigs soon so I can try them out and take them back if I need to.

• Members

On a side note about the HD280 and the plastic headband.

I have had the same pair for the last 6 years or so. I've replaced the cups once and that was pretty cheap. Late last year, the headband finally gave out.

I contacted Sennheiser's Support Dept and got a tech who sent me a replacement band. For free. I dunno if that is a standard kind of thing-- it took some soldering to do the repair, which wasn't too tricky for me (I'm not a beginner any more I suppose). I dunno if they always do that; I got an official sounding response to my tech support inquiry saying that the part was unavailable.

Anyhow, if you have a busted pair, it's worth giving their support dept a ring.

Also, I have used the Shure SRH-440, they are just as nice as the 280s, so that's not a bad choice, IMO.

Archived