The Squier Army

mikesr1963

• Members

Dude, that paint job is awesomesauce! Great job! :philthumb: I'd love to hear the details about how you did it. :snax:

Thanks!

Nothing too innovative about how I did it: all rattle cans from a local hardware store because that was the cheapest way to get the palette of colors I wanted.

The idea is to keep using masking tape to defines the areas and overlay colors. e.g. paint the area Yellow, then use masking tape to make the stripes, then paint Orange on top of it. Or paint an area Bark Blue, put circle stickers (the kind they sell to mark prices at garage sales) and go over the area with the Baby Blue...

The hardest part was the black, for the curves I covered with masking tape, then use a blade to cut off the parts I wanted black.

That creates lots of uneven layers depending on how many coats a particular spot got, so after very light sanding, I had to do a lot of clear coats (also rattle can) and after curing a few months, more sanding, polishing, etc... till I got a "car-like" finish.

Here's a pic right before applying the Orange layer, see how the masking tape was cut for the flower shape on the headstock, whereas stripes were easy.

fetch?id=31609793

In order to get an idea of what I was going to do and what it looked like, I made a mockup in photoshop (well, the Gimp):

fetch?id=31609797

Some of the curves are not as good as I wanted, but it adds to the "artsy" feel. This was my first refinishing project, and I was really a little too ambitious for a first time. Observant readers will notice I gave up on the red hearts as I was worried about too many layers, and the horns are less adorned than the original plan. I also did buy colored pickup guards but decided it looked better in black.

Next time I'll go with a simple seafoam green, or maybe a metallic read. Nah, I'm thinking Steampunk for my next project. Looking for a dirt cheap tele on CL right now so I can add in cogs, tubes, wires and leather.

• Like 1

• 6 months later...
  • Members

The neck on my Affinity Tele always looked too white . So last year I gave the guitar a good cleaning and used a little bit of a product called "Orange Glow " on the neck. It gave the finish more of an amber tint which I like but somehow it also seemed to react with the sweat from my fingers and create age spots on the neck,which I also like. ( I know someone wil say blah,blah ,blah make the frets harder to remove blah,blah blah. But think about it the guitar cost about $180 new,who would even bother with a refret. Just buy another one ) Anyway,.I like the result and gave it another wipe this time Take a look

.fetch?filedataid=117723

Edited by gardo
  • Like 1

Some of the curves are not as good as I wanted, but it adds to the "artsy" feel. This was my first refinishing project, and I was really a little too ambitious for a first time.

That was your FIRST refinish? WOW! :eekphil::philthumb:

Observant readers will notice I gave up on the red hearts as I was worried about too many layers, and the horns are less adorned than the original plan. I also did buy colored pickup guards but decided it looked better in black.

Next time I'll go with a simple seafoam green, or maybe a metallic red.

Seafoam is the king of all of the Fender Custom Colors. Write that down folks! :wave:

Nah, I'm thinking Steampunk for my next project. Looking for a dirt cheap tele on CL right now so I can add in cogs, tubes, wires and leather.

Sounds great! Please take lots of pics! I'd love to see a thread about it, with updates as the work progresses! :snax:

• Members

This is my Stagemaster and back in 01 or 02 when I bought it I did so because I wanted to try a Floyd Rose on the cheap. Mars Music was going out of business and I got it for $150. $100 off new in the box. I really liked it and still do. Super action, sounded great too. Years have gone by and along the way I still wanted a Stagemaster with the neck through design and every so often I'd check places etc. to try and pick one up. 3 years ago I had a shot at Sam Ash in Richmond Va. but didn't because it was $125. I thought it was a little to beat up for that price and passed on it. Since then I've notice that prices on both have continued to rise and I thought what the heck is going on here. In fact for nice examples they are commanding more than the original selling price. Come to find out, these were not your cheapo Squier guitars people were complaining about back then. THe body is alder. The Licensed Floyd Rose has a brass sustain block and the pickups are potted and actually sound good. Mine came out of the box set up very well and still has the lowest string action of all my guitars without buzzing. If you find the models with serial numbers starting with CY01..... I highly recommend trying to pick it up, especially if it's on the cheap. It also came in a 7-string Floyd version and it to has the brass sustain block.

IMG_2237_zpso528i62a.jpg

Edited by mikesr1963
  • Like 4

Thanks gardo! I really tried to take my time with that one and do a proper "nice" finish. I'm pretty happy with how it turned out. I reliced the Shell Pink MM, and the '71 Competition Mustang was kind of in-between - a little rougher than the Duo Sonic, but it was meant as a temp paint job to protect the bare wood (it was stripped when I got it), with the intention of eventually having someone (maybe Fender?) refinish it in its original CAR w/ racing stripe finish.

• Members

I'm sure most of you already know this but here's some serial number info

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Squier#Serial_number_tracing

Example CY09 was made in China - Yako (Taiwan) in 2009

I was very impressed with the set up on mine. It just needed tuned. In fact the neck felt so good that I was afraid to touch it. Eventually I did have to adjust the saddles . Someone here suggested going to .010' strings and that does stabilize the saddles in addition to giving better tone

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
  • Members
Great post Radar-Love! :philthumb: That's the first time I've ever heard of the SUNN Mustang - where on earth did you hear about that rare bird?

We have talked on-and-off a bit about Sunn guitars around here over the years, starting back around 2002 or 2003 or so. There were a couple of H-C members in the past that had a Sunn "Mustang" guitar. The Sunn Mustang would sometimes get mentioned if we were talking about FMIC's various fumbles and debacles over the years. :D

In the meantime, enjoy a bit of vintage Sunn 0))) amps and... Colonel Sanders. :lol:

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Here's mine, this has been my #1 guitar since January when I bought it. I got a couple of Guitar Center gift cards for Christmas and my birthday (my birthday's 10 days after Christmas), and saw this on GCs used inventory. I've wanted a guitar with a locking trem for a long time, and this was a cheap way to get one, only $120. Yes, it's a more recent made-in-China one, but it plays nicely. I really love the 'licensed by' Floyd trem, it's nice to be able to USE the trem and not have it knock the guitar out of tune.

My only complaints are the volume pot is scratchy (I'll replace it someday), and the single coil pickups don't sound so great. I really prefer H-H guitars, with an S-S-H setup, the neck pickups are lower output (of course) but don't sound very "stratty" to me, I suppose they're ceramic pickups. No big deal, I play on the bridge humbucker 90% of the time anyway.

e724e9fe4f13d9f0f475c43e35315ece.thumb.jpg.b23c77b6c9b062539a8252eaf2dcb2e5.jpg

• Like 2

Seem to be mostly Strats in this thread but having had a Fender Tele years ago and not much liking it I bought a Squier Tele recently and love it.

One of the mods in the poll forum recently got a Squier Affinity Tele, and he raves about it. The guy has won multiple Grammy awards too, so you kind of have to give at least a bit of credence to his opinions... ;)

I just got done recommending the Squier VM Jaguar Short Scale Bass to someone else in another thread. Squier makes some very cool instruments - especially if you're on a budget - and not just Strats. :)

• Moderators

I've done some work, mainly pickup upgrades to Affinity Teles, and I believe them to be the closest you can get to what Leo Fender had in mind when he built his first Tele.

On another note, my son has quite a few guitars.....dunno why, but when I bought him a J Mascis Jazzmaster, he just forgot about the rest apart from his PRS SE24 Anniversary.

The CV and VMs are great guitars and I believe although Fender did a great job giving birth to them, they shot themselves in the foot, cause they forgot that simplicity was part of Leo's philosophy.

The Simon Neil CV Strat I stupidly let go recently felt so much like an early 80s Fujigen MIJ Strat it was eerie.

• Members

One of the mods in the poll forum recently got a Squier Affinity Tele, and he raves about it. The guy has won multiple Grammy awards too, so you kind of have to give at least a bit of credence to his opinions... ;)

I just got done recommending the Squier VM Jaguar Short Scale Bass to someone else in another thread. Squier makes some very cool instruments - especially if you're on a budget - and not just Strats. :)

I've been flying that flag for 15 years now. Makes me smile. The Affinity Tele and Strat are made of alder like the American versions. They sound better than the $300 and $400 upgrade Squiers being put out now too.