The Squier Army

mikesr1963

• 4 weeks later...
  • Members

I wish I could go one day without being reminded how cute Taylor Swift is. And now she's holding a Squier? You can write a bad song about me any day, Taylor.

I have been itching for an Affinity Tele. I've had three or four, and a couple of Fenders. I've never had a Squier Standard Tele, though. *Sigh* So many choices and so little money.

• Like 1

• Members

My latest Squier beater. 1996 MIC. Kind of unusual as it has 22 frets & an 8 hole pickguard... I picked it up used at GC for $79... Already replaced the trem with a GFS unit w/ steel trem block. I also picked up a loaded pickguard from a classic series 50's strat off the bay & will throw that on when i have a chance.

cool stuff cheap...

a95c60bd-d40e-4d92-bc60-32c059b54bb0_zpsmg5eaper.jpg

• Members
why get a squire when you can get a mexican strat ? strats are cheap to make as it is.

Mr7aRWT.jpg

New Mexican Fenders are $500 and up. New Squiers are $399 and as low as $99. In the used market, Squiers are much less than MIM. Also, there are MIM Squiers in existence. There are MIJ Squiers as well. Each era has its following and it's because of the value and playability.

A guitar is like a hamburger. You can buy a nice one at a restaurant, but there's nothing wrong with the Big Mac.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Members
Also' date=' there are MIM Squiers in existence. There are MIJ Squiers as well. [/quote']

Not to mention MIA Squiers. sm-suprised

fen90usa-squier-bk-mn-0711.jpg

After FMIC decided to pluck the Squier brand name from obscurity (i.e. -- Squier Strings from 1890s ~ 1970s, bought out by Leo Fender in the '60s) for their new budget line of Strats, Teles, and P/J basses, it seems they couldn't make up their mind where to manufacture Squiers for a few years. Since the beginning of Squier Guitars, there have been MIJ, MIA, MIM, MIK, MIN (Indonesia), and MIC Squier models.

As far as budget-line Strats go, FMIC makes 'em all over the world, actually. And, over the decades, FMIC has slapped some of the oddest labels on those budget Strat headstocks, such as this major WTF marketing disaster (below) that FMIC did back in the '90s after their purchase of Sunn.

Yes. Meet the Sunn... er... Mustang! Made in India. ...which, of course, is not really a Mustang, but a Stratocaster! :facepalm:

48049d1346748835-here-comes-sunn-sunnheadstock.jpg

61232d1361111223-sunn-mustang-rebuild-hlp-wanted-please-sunnoldfull.jpg

Of course, FMIC strikes again more recently with the Starcaster debacle.

A REAL STARCASTER (reissue)

5B2F3FBB-EF11-4227-9E68-73E3F339CBD3-2845-0000014F3C4EA32E_zps8fda0d3f.jpg

And the "other Starcaster," which is probably a Starcaster By Fender... er... Strat :freak:

5285d1259805889-fender-starcaster-fender-strat-squier-strat-ugly-starcaster.jpg

52afad17867e47f7bcac837ec.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• Members

Hi all. Tracked down the last 60th Anniversary gold Squier strat at my local GC last week and wow I was blown away. The price was $319, and I simply did not expect it to play with such great action and have such a fantastic tone. The neck pickup position with the tone rolled off a hair provides an incredible authentic strat tone for blues, and it records like a dream.

I am pretty sure it came strung with 9s which are a little too thin for my hands (I play bass mostly, but have played guitar for over 20 years) so I think 10s will take it to another level. Im thinking GHS nickels may be just the ticket. My style on guitar is blues/Jazz/Funk type fusion and my ideal tone is clean into a fender amp with some reverb on it.

Honestly stunned that a guitar at this price point can play this well (action is perfect, fret job is perfect) and sound this good AND record this well. My perspective comes from selling an American Corona Telecaster which was pretty nice but I much prefer the Squier.

Raves adise, I do notice a thing I need to have adjusted - The B and high E do not have the output of the D and G string. Seems like a pickup adjustment is needed. I think ill have that fixed when I get it setup with 10s. Anyone have the low output issue?

• Like 1

• Members

Sounds great, but, pictures or it never happened.

Hi all. Tracked down the last 60th Anniversary gold Squier strat at my local GC last week and wow I was blown away. The price was $319, and I simply did not expect it to play with such great action and have such a fantastic tone. The neck pickup position with the tone rolled off a hair provides an incredible authentic strat tone for blues, and it records like a dream.

I am pretty sure it came strung with 9s which are a little too thin for my hands (I play bass mostly, but have played guitar for over 20 years) so I think 10s will take it to another level. Im thinking GHS nickels may be just the ticket. My style on guitar is blues/Jazz/Funk type fusion and my ideal tone is clean into a fender amp with some reverb on it.

Honestly stunned that a guitar at this price point can play this well (action is perfect, fret job is perfect) and sound this good AND record this well. My perspective comes from selling an American Corona Telecaster which was pretty nice but I much prefer the Squier.

Raves adise, I do notice a thing I need to have adjusted - The B and high E do not have the output of the D and G string. Seems like a pickup adjustment is needed. I think ill have that fixed when I get it setup with 10s. Anyone have the low output issue?

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

I took some pics, but they did not capture the gold well, so I got a better phone camera app and will retry.

Also, got the axe strung up with D'addario NYXL 10s. It plays a lot better, sounds better and I highly recommend these strings. It also got a truss rod adjustment, and some extra tension put on the floating bridge.

As for the pickups. The output was low, so I had the pickup height reset. The poles come out pretty high, so if you get one of these things, it can be worth paying for a pro setup job in all honesty.

If I was to upgrade anything it would be the tuners. They are pretty cheap looking and tend to slip. Anyone do that on theirs? I'd keep with the gold color scheme of course.

• Like 1