Friday Influences Thread 03-20-15

Lee Knight

• Moderators

Well... don't come in if you don't want to but you are the one who loses here if you don't. Inside are all kinds of treats and spectacle of every variety, shape and form. Pleasures that would make Clive Barker blush. Sin, lust, damnation and redemption, tension AND release, wrapped into one confusing yet clarifying elixir for the soul. So whatever you do...

DO NOT NOT ENTER!

The major II. The V chord with the 3rd in the bass creating a walk up in the bass to the I. The relative minor used at the perfect moment. Simple stuff that has had a profound effect on me since early on. And that education came from picking up Christmas carols by ear on the guitar and Peter Paul and Mary albums. All at the age of 10.

Oh... and suspended harmonies?

Then there's the fabricated persona of the 60's folk star. Predestined to wander with a dollar in his pocket, whiskey on his breath... jumping trains and movin' on. Uh huh. Even at 10 I knew BS when it came o' wafting my way. And therein lies the beauty of pop music. The beautiful lie that tells you the truth. This was my first lesson:

GREAT! (updated to better audio)

[video=youtube;XDEXr4N7sYs]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XDEXr4N7sYs

• Members

"The beautiful lie that tells you the truth." That's a lyric if I've ever heard one.

Here are a couple of friends playing another friends song earlier this week. The video quality isn't great, but it sounds pretty good.

[video=youtube;hk8GwjDZC_8]

• Members

First day of spring, daffodils are out and it's snowing.

Originally written in 2001. A couple of friends and I took a round of angel investment at the height of the dot com boom to start a "revolutionary ad serving platform". We took much less money than we were offered, because we thought conditions would be even better when we had a product launched. Unfortunately, by the time we finished writing the product and went looking for additional investment, the market had turned and there was no money to be had, on any terms. End of startup, back to consulting.

So the song is about foresight and hindsight, about plans and what happens when plans fail, and what (if anything) you can do about it.

Daffodils in the Snow

You've got your what but what about your when.

Date's set but not yet what do you do then.

Just once but then never again.

A bust but you must or else it is the end.

The pace of change is fast and then it's slow.

Daffodils are blooming in the snow.

You should have known but then how could you know?

The time is right tonight we have to go.

The hall is booked we can't cancel the show.

So warm last week but now it's ten below.

You should have known but then how could you know?

Bridge burns she turns to say goodbye.

Die's cast at last now we must fly.

Our plan won't stand but all we can do is try.

One stroke, it broke, now play the lie.

You should have known but then now could you know?

2001 4-Track demo: http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=4200656

2006 Reason demo: http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=4424607

• Members

I've posted stuff before on these guys... but just unearthed this fantastic footage from 'back in the day'. Every Tuesday night, these guys would play in a small tavern in West Philadelphia... I discovered them in 1994... I was 19 years old. I'd go see them every week. The keyboard player was playing a Hammond Model A... left hand bass. Killer players. I feel so fortunate to 'come up' on this stuff.

Those were the mother f'ing days!

[video=youtube;qYRtAAmPU9M]

• Members

Drummer is Ronny Crawford... shortly after Lisa Loeb went huge in the mid-90s, he became her drummer. We lost him on those Tuesday nights and had to settle for watching him on SNL appearances...

The sax player, Jay Davidson, went on to tour with Whitney Houston and the Funk Brothers.

• Members
drummer ^^^^^^^^^ !!!!!!!!

It's rare that you see/hear a drummer maintain the groove through an extended solo like that, blew me away. And the guitar player comped even better than he soloed. That must have been great fun to hear them on a regular basis.

• Members

Ronny used to do these amazing solos where he would play the walls... and the air. It would literally be silent and he's staying in rhythm... playing the air.

These guys are reuniting on May 2nd in the

philadelphia area if anyone is around.

Archived