Change band name after one founding member leaves or keep it the same?

Hired Gun

• Members

Originally six of us were in our band named King's Gold. The name was picked by taking the last names of the guitar player (King) and the drummer (Gold). We played together for about five years with relative success as a local cover band (bar gigs, private/civic events, etc.) before calling a quits about a year ago. Two of the girls in the band left, and the rest of us joined up in other bands and so forth. Recently three of us have regrouped and picked up another drummer and are about to start gigging again. The ex-drummer, who now plays in another reasonably successful similar cover band is insistent that we not use the old name, King's Gold. The three of us feel like we put as much into the old band as anybody over the years and would like to keep the old name for sake of recognition, we still have the web address, business cards, etc.

What do you all think? Is it OK for us to keep the name? There are no legal/copyright considerations. He just doesn't want us using the name. Of course technically "Gold" is his last name, but it's also obviously just a generic word too.

• Members

How many people would be expecting to see Mr. King or Mr. Gold on stage should you resurrect that name? It's been a year and it's not the same band. Park the site with a forward or a teaser on it and start with something new. Vista Prints has made new business cards a non-issue.

• Members

A) is the name a draw?

Make sure you answer this question honestly. It's been a year since you played. Are a bunch of people going to show up to see Kings Gold? Or will be basically starting from scratch? If you decide the name IS a draw then...

B) does anyone in the audience know or care about the name connection with the drummer?

If not, and you don't care about burning bridges, then I say use it. If they do care, then it might not be worth it anyway, if people feel like they aren't getting the "real" Kings Gold.

• Members

From the title I thought one person left and the rest of the band kept going. In that case, I think you could, though sometimes that creates hurt feelings. Especially if it's based off the guy's last name. It sounds like only three of the original six are regrouping. A year later. That sounds tenuous to me. I'd pick a new name.

• Members

Thanks for the responses. The main reason to keep the name is we think it is a draw. I think when people come they will recognize that the two lead singers are the same, there have been some changes, many of the old songs we still play, we have added some new songs, etc. Nothing more dramatic/controversial than that.

• Members
Thanks for the responses. The main reason to keep the name is we think it is a draw. I think when people come they will recognize that the two lead singers are the same' date=' there have been some changes, many of the old songs we still play, we have added some new songs, etc. Nothing more dramatic/controversial than that.[/quote']

To be perfectly frank, in my experience, if a band "thinks" their name is a draw? It probably really isn't. If people were clamoring for the band to regroup, you wouldn't be hinging on "I think they will recognize that the singers are the same".

I'd suggest moving on past the old name. If Mr. King is still in the band, maybe try some new variation on the old name that so people will understand the connection to the old band.

• Members

If it's not trademarked the you can do what you want. It just comes down to how much grief you want to put up with. I do agree that, if it's been a year it may be better to pick a new name. That said, I've seen local bands go away for years and come back with the original name and draw because of the name.

The fact the last names are also nouns that go together to make something sensical that's independent of the names on their own, is interesting as it can be argued you're not advertising people are in the band that aren't.

I actually like the "Kings Without Gold" idea.

• Members

To be perfectly frank, in my experience, if a band "thinks" their name is a draw? It probably really isn't. If people were clamoring for the band to regroup, you wouldn't be hinging on "I think they will recognize that the singers are the same".

I'd suggest moving on past the old name. If Mr. King is still in the band, maybe try some new variation on the old name that so people will understand the connection to the old band.

I'd be inclined to move on too... But maybe something similarly themed.

"Midas Touch" ?

Just my $.02 ...

• Members

People come and go in bands - this is a good example of why it's a good idea to be clear about who "owns" the band name. I've never been in a band where it wasn't clear but obviously YMMV. Who were the first members of that band that recruited the rest?

Amongst the projects I'm presently in the Tuesday band's name is owned by the front guy, the Wednesday band's was owned by the front person so we had to change it when they left (it's now owned by the BL), the Thursday band's name is owned by the drummer and/or lead guitarist (need to clarify that - two left to be replaced by three of us new guys), and the Friday band's name is owned by the front person.

• Members
People come and go in bands - this is a good example of why it's a good idea to be clear about who "owns" the band name. I've never been in a band where it wasn't clear but obviously YMMV. Who were the first members of that band that recruited the rest?

Amongst the projects I'm presently in the Tuesday band's name is owned by the front guy, the Wednesday band's was owned by the front person so we had to change it when they left (it's now owned by the BL), the Thursday band's name is owned by the drummer and/or lead guitarist (need to clarify that - two left to be replaced by three of us new guys), and the Friday band's name is owned by the front person.

I say fooey to this. Band names are usually derived from the whole band spitballing. Someone's idea is ultimately picked, but that doesn't mean they own the name. In the business world, everything I do for my company is their property. I'm not allowed to use it directly nor produce any derivative work for my personal gain. If I leave my company they keep using all the contributions I made while employed there. In my band the first guy to leave, 2 years in, came up with our name. That was 14 years ago. If we could do it over we'd have picked another name as there are about 20 bands in the USA at any given time with our exact name.

Anyway, I'm no lawyer, but unless the person that comes up with the name trademarks it, I can't see how they can lay any claim to it. Obviously there may be some issue if using a name, especially a full name..... Jon Doe & the Stags isn't going to work if "Jon Doe" leaves the band. In the OPs case I doubt Kings Gold would have much protection since they are also common nouns. That said, I'd probably change it just to quell the drama.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Members

Was merchendise being sold with the band name ? who got the proceeds ? Who Promoted the name in printand internet ? If any of that is an original member ,, then change the name and get another reputation going under the new band name .... Start fresh and ock the house man ....

• Members

I think your situation is a bit different because of the last names involved but I will tell you what we are doing. We are actively auditioning singers right now and as soon as we find one and he's up to speed our original singer (founding member) is leaving. We did toss around the idea of changing the name but there are 2 out of the three founding members left and we have a full schedule booked of good gigs from now till October under the name Ostrich Hat so... no we are keeping the name.

• Members
there are 2 out of the three founding members left and we have a full schedule booked of good gigs from now till October under the name Ostrich Hat so... no we are keeping the name.
Plus it just happens to be the most super-awesome band name ever fetch?id=31475746 .

• Members

I would get a new name. I'll assume you are playing bars and clubs in your local area, and if that's the case, all you want is to use "Formerly King's Gold" on the first couple of promo items, flyers, etc. or in conversations with club owners. After that, no one will remember.

Archived