Drum machines for live/touring bands? Replacing your drummer electronically?

• Members

So it's not unusual for musicians to use them for demos, and electronic oriented bands may eschew then altogether.

But I'm interested in organic rock/metal/punk/hardcore bands dropping their drummer for live shows. What kind of fun machines do they use? Are there common (recommended/peer reviewed) drum machines used for rock bands?

What about software programs on lap tops? Or are they too troublesome/fragile for touring?

What about samplers? Any other alternatives? What qualities should I look for or avoid?

I found a few articles like this, but they weren't too terribly enlightening:

http://articles.chicagotribune.com/2012-01-15/entertainment/chi-the-kills-interview-alison-mosshart-interviewed-20120115_1_bands-chemistry-mosshart-and-jamie-hince

• Members

There are bad drummers that a band would do better to drop. There are also bad guitarists, bassists, singers, bla bla with no consistent groove of their own and prolly need a drum machine to lean on. That bunch will always suck and come off as phony regardless of the hardware.

• Members

There are no rules I suppose but if you're not gonna have a live drummer for that type of music you should probably spend some serious time creating sequences and use Superior Drummer or Steven Slate Drums. Better have a good light show for a distraction!

Archived