Ultimate Support TS80 Speaker Stand Package - 2 Pack $88.99

• Members

I'm almost certain these are the stands we use when we're not using poles. They work great and look great, but make sure you educate fellow band members on how to open the legs. If they try to pry them open like a regular cheap speaker stand, you will be displeased.

• Members

I'm almost certain these are the stands we use when we're not using poles. They work great and look great, but make sure you educate fellow band members on how to open the legs. If they try to pry them open like a regular cheap speaker stand, you will be displeased.

Will do, and thanks for the tip. :)

• Members

Wow that's an awesome price.

Hate living in Australia! I am currently looking at purchasing 2 x Ultimate Support TS-110BL stands and the bag-99D to hold both of them.

Price in Australia = $670 including shipping

Price ordered from a store in USA = $560AUD (including shipping from the US to Australia)

That said, I think the store where I got this pricing from isn't really great pricing either.

I understand that there are different taxes, import rules, dealer prices etc. but it is a fair difference in price considering the shipping on the Australian price is about $35 and the shipping on the US price is $120!

• Members

Can anyone tell me what is better about these than On Stage and other cheapo stands? Thanks.

See that little nipple reduction on top? That's the size of the tubing used in most stands. Plus these have metal collars rather than plastic ones. All in all they're built to handle more weight an a more stable manner, and last longer while at it.

Normally these are around $80 apiece. I don't really need them right now but am thinking about getting a pair anyway just because...

• Members

Can anyone tell me what is better about these than On Stage and other cheapo stands? Thanks.

"On Stage" hardware just isn't very good.

- The threads are soft and will eventually wear smooth and strip out with regular use.

- The tightening knob is round, which is harder to tighten and harder on your hangs than the design on the Ultimate stands.

- The knob is also thin and brittle plastic and can break if the stand is dropped or knocked against something (I know this from experience).

- The aluminum is thicker with the Ultimates

- The black paint seems to wear better on the Ultimates

The On-Stage ones are fine if you're using them 5-6 times a year, but for regular gigging they are disposable. Once you've thrown them out and bought another pair you realize you should have just spent more in the first place. (The "buy once, cry once" principle). At this price it's a no brainer. In fact, for anyone owning older On Stage or similar economy stands, you may want to consider these, which are a steal at this price. Although not as discrete in most situations as black stands, they also will wear better as they won't show all the nicks and scratches black stands do.

• Members

"On Stage" hardware just isn't very good.

- The threads are soft and will eventually wear smooth and strip out with regular use.

- The tightening knob is round, which is harder to tighten and harder on your hangs than the design on the Ultimate stands.

- The knob is also thin and brittle plastic and can break if the stand is dropped or knocked against something (I know this from experience).

- The aluminum is thicker with the Ultimates

- The black paint seems to wear better on the Ultimates

The On-Stage ones are fine if you're using them 5-6 times a year, but for regular gigging they are disposable. Once you've thrown them out and bought another pair you realize you should have just spent more in the first place. (The "buy once, cry once" principle). At this price it's a no brainer. In fact, for anyone owning older On Stage or similar economy stands, you may want to consider these, which are a steal at this price. Although not as discrete in most situations as black stands, they also will wear better as they won't show all the nicks and scratches black stands do.

Thanks for the info. I have On Stage Stands, but they are the all steel ones. So, they are also heavier than the Ultimates being discussed in this thread. So far, they have treated me well, but I might spring for the Ultimates based on what you and others have said about them. Here are the ones I have.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/accessories/on-stage-stands-ssp7855-professional-speaker-stand-pak

• Members

Thanks for the info. I have On Stage Stands, but they are the all steel ones. So, they are also heavier than the Ultimates being discussed in this thread. So far, they have treated me well, but I might spring for the Ultimates based on what you and others have said about them. Here are the ones I have.

I was just over at someone's house that just bought those On Stage steel stands. They seem stronger than the ones I had, but I'd still think the hardware isn't as good. If you've had them a while unscrew the bolts and see if the threads are wearing. If not then I wouldn't worry about it.

• Members

I was just over at someone's house that just bought those On Stage steel stands. They seem stronger than the ones I had, but I'd still think the hardware isn't as good. If you've had them a while unscrew the bolts and see if the threads are wearing. If not then I wouldn't worry about it.

Will do. Thanks! By the way, the only reason I have these stands is that I got them new for free. Again, they have served me well for 5 years now (about 20-30 gigs a year), but lighter ones would be better. If the threads are wearing, that will give me a good reason to upgrade them.

Archived