crapcrapcrap I messed up

nat whilk II

• Members

I'm super busy with work, but I was determined to enter the Kerrville Folk Festival New Folk Songwriters' contest this year. Deadline was Sunday the 8th - I spent all day re-recording and fighting computer gremlins. Midnight deadline to file online. Ok, got the two tracks ready with 20 minutes left to get them posted up and entered....and, lo... midnight means Eastern Time ??!!?? - for a Texas Festival??? Ok, it's my fault for not reading the rules close. Missed it by 40 minutes.

Well, we've all done stuff like this I'm sure. Gotta take things more seriously, I know, I know, my fault, what else is new.

For what it's worth, I've posed up new/tweaked versions of these two tunes to Soundcloud - they are my now-defunct entries. At least some of you guys can listen to them if you have a mind.

https://soundcloud.com/natwhilkii1/the-sea-and-the-sky-and-the-land

So now what do I do with these tunes???

nat whilk ii

• Members
You are a winner in my eyes.

Love these songs so much.

This.

What do any of us do when songs are done? I'd love to know what you guys know about releasing music. Planning to finally get some music out this year (we have 8 songs!) but would love to know what services people have used.

• Members

Services like DIsc Makers and CD baby are pretty good. I've heard bad things about them both but haven't personally experienced a problem with either. I've used CD baby for my last couple. You pay a flat rate and they handle all the digital distribution. The whole process is pretty straight forward. I'm not huge on computers or automated stuff (I try and avoid self check outs and still go in the bank) and I think it's pretty easy. It always seems to take longer than I think it will.

If you want to get paid off of plays, you need to register the songs with either ASCAP or BMI. You sign up for an account and pay to register the songs. It's all pretty straight forward and can be handled online.

• Members

This.

What do any of us do when songs are done? I'd love to know what you guys know about releasing music. Planning to finally get some music out this year (we have 8 songs!) but would love to know what services people have used.

Probably deserves a thread in itself rather than hijacking this one

However I have done cd releases and also digital only releases. Of course the cheapest option is digital only but I had much more success with cd. This was 2008 though.

I put them in my local record shop which has a massive mailing list of all new releases. They sold 300 copies in a matter or weeks which for a single shop was very good.

The digital stuff is just kind of there on iTunes. I don't sell loads but looking at my accounting I have earned over 3000 dollars from them since they have been there over the last few years.

Getting stuff out there is easy. Getting stuff noticed is not.

The very best way is to get a load of albums made and gig and sell them there really.

Archived