jbl prx618xlf vs qsc kw181 vs yorkville ls801p

• Members

There's a LOT of things that get said around here, about "sounding close";,,,, it's what's NOT said that's the problem. You've really got to "read between the lines". Hell, a desk-top subwoofer can sound "close" to a concert-grade sub,,,, depending on your proximity to that sub, the room you're listening in, and the level at which it's set. A lot of those "sounds close" comments, can be VERY misleading IMO.

Your also overlooking the fact that the same driver is being used. Pretty large fact.

• Members

SPECIFICALLY WITH RESPECT TO MY COMMENT...

The PRX-618XLF, 718 and 918 are all close sounding, very close when powered around the RMS rating of the driver. How close depends on how well the processing is set up. Set up similarly, very close.

There's nothing misleading about this IMO.

I wasn't referring to that comment.

• Members
the weight of the subs is NOT an issue! my son and i worked together. i want sheer output, the best of the three subs listed.

LS801P has about 2x the output of the others - I'd not be comfortable with less outdoors. They have have about the same output as my biggest subs. You'll still have to center cluster them to get decent SPL outdoors...

• Members

LS801P has about 2x the output of the others - I'd not be comfortable with less outdoors. They have have about the same output as my biggest subs. You'll still have to center cluster them to get decent SPL outdoors...

and x-over since it doesn't sport one.

• Members

Is cost an issue? Danely can put a amp in either a TH115 or TH118 that will flatten those listed.

Absolutely flatten. I've got 3 of the TH-118's. I brought down recessed lighting and AC vents in venues with just 1 or 2 subs. Sound quality is superb.

• Members

i thought subs like danley, turbo sound, and kv2 are in another league and have the cost to prove it.

i was told the ls801p has as much output as a MI double eighteen can someone confirm.

• Members

i thought subs like danley, turbo sound, and kv2 are in another league and have the cost to prove it.

i was told the ls801p has as much output as a MI double eighteen can someone confirm.

Absolutely, it does. The first time i saw and heard an LS801P, was at a couple of our school dances, where a crew from MuchMusic was doing a gig with a pair of those, and a pair of e2152 mains. A couple of months later, the school had another dance, and rehired MuchMusic once again,,, same tops (Yorkville E2152's), but this time, the subs were the Yorkville LS1004's. All amplification was by Yorkville.

My impressions at those two dances were divided; but one thing for certain, the LS801P's seemed louder-than the LS1004's. Frankly, I did not enjoy being in that room, because I thought they (801P's) were just too damned loud. This was a hip-hop dance btw. The hall holds over 700 people, but there was most likely 300-400 people there)

If I compare the "sound" of the two subs, at those specific events, I initially preferred the sound of the LS1004's. That said, although the sound-crews were both from MuchMusic, they were two different crews, and the gear was deployed differently. I felt that the crew with the 1004's, just did a better overall job of dialing in that room, and even though the tops were identical for both crews,,, the crew with the 1004's managed to dial in the tops better too. The music was incredibly loud, but OMG, it was so tight and focused, and it was a pleasure for me to stay in that room. That crew did a wonderful job.

My initial impression leaned in favour of the LS1004's. What I didn't know at that time, was that "the sound" of an 801P is widely variable. There simply is "no one sound to an 801p, and you can't possibly categorize this sub with a single "signature sound",,,, you dial it in, as YOU want it. The variable 90-150Hz HF roll-off, and the 45-90Hz sweepable LF frequency-boost, makes for a sub that's infinitely tunable to your liking. I tend to prefer a very tight "punch" to the kick, for maximum impact, and I tend to roll-off the fat bottom-end.

Above, I mentioned the two MuchMusic crews deployed the subs differently. The crew which used the 801P's had them on the floor, roughly 30 feet apart, near the corners of an elevated stage. The crew with the 1004's, had those subs up on the stage, laying on their sides, and perhaps 15-20 feet apart, and set back perhaps 3-4 feet from the front-edge of the elevated stage. When I first posted my experiences with those two set-ups, some here suggested that there may have been a "boundary-cancellation "thing" going on with that set-up. Whatever it was, it sounded amazing. These guys really knew what they were doing.

Going back to the original question,,, yes, the 801P's can easily keep up with a pair of dual 18's.

• Members

No stairs where you live LOL ? I had one loadin last year that required carrying everything 300 feet over freshly laid sod - no tires allowed
:freak:

I don't work clubs with stairs....plain and simple.

When I load into my basement through my walkout I use ramps, never an issue.

And when I have to I also can load/unload them by myself...leverage is a beautiful thing when it comes to lifting heavy things..

• Members

A single LS801P had better output and hit harder then my EV QRX218s.....which is why I no longer own the QRX.

• Members

BTW this guy is making clones of the Danley TH series at about 1/2 the price:

The Chimera series are clones of the TH-Mini, TH118, TH115, plus they have a 21" version rated at 140db

Do you think his products will sound as nice as the Danley design subs? ESP the XS-12 vs your TH Mini? I would sure like to hear a shoot out.

The chimera XS 15 isn't any larger than a SRX718, weighs less and crushes it on paper. Interesting!

• Members

Do you think his products will sound as nice as the Danley design subs? ESP the XS-12 vs your TH Mini? I would sure like to hear a shoot out.

The chimera XS 15 isn't any larger than a SRX718, weighs less and crushes it on paper. Interesting!

1/2 the price of Danley way lighter then most other subs and great specs on paper I dunno almost sounds to good to be true?

• Members

1/2 the price of Danley way lighter then most other subs and great specs on paper I dunno almost sounds to good to be true?

They look to me to be more like these.

http://www.freespeakerplans.com/bass-cabinets/11-cubo-18

The horn length is not enough to be a tapped horn. More like a ported box with a long port. This would explain the reduced weight. Size.

Dookietwo

• Members

WHat is the equivalent price for the Chimera XS18"? Danley's are high-end and pricey but they aren't as expensive as you may think they are...

• Members

There's no telling but they could have Behringer'esque-quality sound since they seem to be using the Behringer 'clone-that' modus operandi. I don't see a single response curve graph on their website. Resale value could be in the toilet too. I'd like to see or hear some real-world usage though.

In reference to the PRX-XLF vs. VRX, I found this on another forum posted by a guy who owns/experienced both units:

1. The prx is powered by a lower end crown amp while the vrx is power by a high end crown amp.

2. The vrx has Higher quality DSP processing and protection.

3. Unlike the prx, the vrx has no history of over heating failures. This is likely due to its Higher quality DSP based limiters for mechanical and thermal protection and amp.

4. The vrx goes lower and louder. Better sound quality.

5. The vrx has the professional look and design. the Prx just doesn't look pro.

The vrx is approx $400 more than the prx but for me the improved quality and dependability is worth it.

...The OP has already had his question answered so I figure this thread diversion wouldn't hurt.

Archived