jbl prx618xlf vs qsc kw181 vs yorkville ls801p

• Members

I would say that the LS801p simply due to it being louder. Outdoor shows suck up the bottom and typically require plenty of it to get the same sound as you may expect from an indoor gig.

They are very heavy though ;)

• Members

I would say that the LS801p simply due to it being louder. Outdoor shows suck up the bottom and typically require plenty of it to get the same sound as you may expect from an indoor gig.

They are very heavy though
;)

Well, if sufficient loudness can be gotten with more than one of those choices, then wouldn

• Members

hi guys, i know this subject have been touch before, but once and for all

which one of these subs are better for outdoor shows and why?

Is this for an upcoming show?

Basically the question can't be answered in it's present form. What kind of outdoor show? Is it one person loading the PA? What kind of music? Do the subs have to perform other duties in other indoor venues? Is size and weight a factor? Is the operator close to a Yorkville dealer?

If rider friendly is a factor then probably neither sub would do. Perhaps double eighteens are the way to go.... and so on and so on. Many factors to consider.

The 801P probably gets louder, but that might not be the determining factor - especially if a lot of volume isn't needed.

• Members

But understand as Aged already said it depends. Thump meaning shear volume, thump meaning musical thump, it really depends. I have 4 xlf. I like them alot, They deliver a nice bottom for rock kicks and bass guitars. They sound very good doing break music and DJ work. The 801p's can be made to sound good, Are louder in the shear volume dept. I think Vinny D has 2 key cuts that makes tightens these boxes up quite a bit. The devil is always in the details.

• Members

If rider friendly is a factor then probably neither sub would do. Perhaps double eighteens are the way to go.... and so on and so on. Many factors to consider.

If you have enough 618XLF's in the rig, a good argument could be made as it's pretty darn close to the 718 and VRX sub. It doesn't matter if it's two single 18's or one double 18... it's equiv. I have no issues rider-wise (for the types of gigs I do) using the 718's... I have enough rig for the gig, powered at around what the 618XLF is powered at (which is not what the 718 marketing rating suggests BTW)

• Members

I did an indoor gig recently with my PRX618S-XLF as one sub and a rented QSC HPR181 (similar to the KW) as the other. No one had a PRX to rent in my area. The HPR was much heavier, although the wheels helped a lot since we had also rented a truck with a ramp. I would not want to try moving the HPR down my basement stairs by myself late at night, the PRX is doable.

The music was hip hop, house, rap and R&B, mostly pretty bass heavy. I was running dual mono with ZX3 tops. The room was not that big (NYC floor through loft), 200-250 people at a given time. Either sub alone would probably have been sufficient by my geezer standards but the audience was 35 years younger and used to NYC club volumes. I set up one sub per side, under the tops. Cranking the volume up to satisfy the crowd, the HPR provided a noticeably more solid bass, as low or lower than the PRX, and a lot louder before distortion degraded the sound quality. The PRX started to break up, sounding distorted and ugly at a noticeably lower SPL than the HPR, which I never managed to max out all night. Probably 2 PRXs would have outrun the single HPR, but at the cost of more total weight and a larger volume to move around, albeit each one being less unwieldy on my basement stairs. So like AH said, it depends, but that was my experience with the PRX and a sub similar to the KW.

• Members

what i'm asking is which sub has the most thump of the three listed.

the subs will be used indoors and outdoors.

If you're looking at active subs, and thump and number count (two) are the only factors that matters then get two LS2100P's. Of course, size, weight, price, name recognition, dealer access, repair facility access, sound, type of sub and so on haven't been accounted for. But the 2100P's do thump - if that's what is needed. Just don't get caught having to laod one by yourself up the stairs - or even down the stairs :) I've used one outside - it was plenty for what I needed.

http://www.yorkville.com/products.asp?id=387&cat=2&type=29

• Members

i looked at the ls2100p lots of thump, but waaaay to heavy.

i know lots of guys on this forum that use the ls801p and play to nice size crowds.

so whats the most two ls801p can cover outside rock show?

• Members

I did an indoor gig recently with my PRX618S-XLF as one sub and a rented QSC HPR181 (similar to the KW) as the other. No one had a PRX to rent in my area. The HPR was much heavier, although the wheels helped a lot since we had also rented a truck with a ramp. I would not want to try moving the HPR down my basement stairs by myself late at night, the PRX is doable.

The music was hip hop, house, rap and R&B, mostly pretty bass heavy. I was running dual mono with ZX3 tops. The room was not that big (NYC floor through loft), 200-250 people at a given time. Either sub alone would probably have been sufficient by my geezer standards but the audience was 35 years younger and used to NYC club volumes. I set up one sub per side, under the tops. Cranking the volume up to satisfy the crowd, the HPR provided a noticeably more solid bass, as low or lower than the PRX, and a lot louder before distortion degraded the sound quality. The PRX started to break up, sounding distorted and ugly at a noticeably lower SPL than the HPR, which I never managed to max out all night. Probably 2 PRXs would have outrun the single HPR, but at the cost of more total weight and a larger volume to move around, albeit each one being less unwieldy on my basement stairs. So like AH said, it depends, but that was my experience with the PRX and a sub similar to the KW.

I'm not sure they are all that similar really. The KW is a much smaller and lighter sub than the HPR, and I've heard it mentioned that QSC made the usual necessary trade-offs when they lightened the load by that much. Haven't directly compared them myself... I liked your gig report though.

• Members

The HPRs are nice. Friends of mine use all the HPR stuff for their FOH, and use a pair of the subs with a single 3 way box on each side, even for outdoor shows and they cover very nicely. They are, however, heavy as hell. I would like to hear them side by side with either the KW's or the PRX6 stuff.

• Members

I recently went through a similar buying process and went with the QSC KW181. The 801p was just too big and the KW181 was a better sound match to my HPR tops.

Frankly, I don't see you going wrong with any of these choices. Listen to them all and see which suits your style the best.

• Members

I recently went through a similar buying process and went with the QSC KW181. The 801p was just too big and the KW181 was a better sound match to my HPR tops.

Frankly, I don't see you going wrong with any of these choices. Listen to them all and see which suits your style the best.

+1 well said!!!

• Members

Based simply on output the 801P would be the winner.

Out of all three listed it's just a matter of personal preference, I never understand the weight argument as all of my gear gets moved on a hand truck anyway, the sound quality out of the three is another one I simply don't get.

All three listed will sound good, if you can't make any of those boxes listed perform and sound good something else is wrong.

I have never had anyone listen to my 801P's and say "If only they sounded more like *** they would be great"....

• Members

Out of all three listed it's just a matter of personal preference, I never understand the weight argument as all of my gear gets moved on a hand truck anyway, the sound quality out of the three is another one I simply don't get.

All three listed will sound good, if you can't make any of those boxes listed perform and sound good something else is wrong.

I have never had anyone listen to my 801P's and say "If only they sounded more like *** they would be great"....

Amen to that,,, on ALL points. When reading some of these so-called "analyses", I often get the impression they're based on "assumption" and "myth perpetuation", rather than direct listening (and handling) experience. Anyone who states the 801P's are limited to "a particular sound", doesn't have a clue what they're talking about. I used to be in that boat, until I actually got my hands on one. I found them incredibly easy to dial in, to whatever tops I choose,,, whether it's my NX55p's, my EF500's, or my U15P's.

• Members

Using a hand truck is just not the issue. Loading in a truck for example, or my case a small van. Just a pain in the backside. ESP compared to a 80lbs sub on casters. It just don't compare.

Tone is subjective, but to my ears the SRX/VRX just sound better.

• Members

True, but Andy brought up the fact that the PRX is close to the performance these subs. Same driver as the VRX-SP, though different amp module.

There's a LOT of things that get said around here, about "sounding close";,,,, it's what's NOT said that's the problem. You've really got to "read between the lines". Hell, a desk-top subwoofer can sound "close" to a concert-grade sub,,,, depending on your proximity to that sub, the room you're listening in, and the level at which it's set. A lot of those "sounds close" comments, can be VERY misleading IMO.

• Members

There's a LOT of things that get said around here, about "sounding close";,,,, it's what's NOT said that's the problem. You've really got to "read between the lines". Hell, a desk-top subwoofer can sound "close" to a concert-grade sub,,,, depending on your proximity to that sub, the room you're listening in, and the level at which it's set. A lot of those "sounds close" comments, can be VERY misleading IMO.

SPECIFICALLY WITH RESPECT TO MY COMMENT...

The PRX-618XLF, 718 and 918 are all close sounding, very close when powered around the RMS rating of the driver. How close depends on how well the processing is set up. Set up similarly, very close.

There's nothing misleading about this IMO.

Archived