Cold Cold Heart - New recording + arrangement in #56

mbfrancis

• Members

That line came on and my daughter (13) looked at me and said "what the fudge?" I should have the courage of my original convictions, ha. I have options for that line, which all fit nicely:

Please stop chewing on your thumb (original)

Please stop biting on your thumb

Please stop biting on your tongue

Please don't bite your tongue (current)

The other three don't make any sense to me.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

The other three don't make any sense to me.

Really? "Don't bite your tongue" continues the singer telling singee to stop lying, stop holding back the truth. I agree "thumb" adds more scene, detail - you can see singee nervously biting/chewing thumb.

• Members

Really? "Don't bite your tongue" continues the singer telling singee to stop lying, stop holding back the truth. I agree "thumb" adds more scene, detail - you can see singee nervously biting/chewing thumb.

Yeah, it's her "tell..."

• Members

Maybe you could turn it around:

"Please tell me what I want to hear...

Please say you're not this insincere..."

Not that ^ just keep the "please" element of the first verse and turn it around from please don't do something to please do?

-------

Oops! I didn't see OGP's post before I posted mine!

Great minds think alike?

• Moderators

I've only listened and read the first few responses. I like using the cold cold heart idea here. But I want it to play off that idea more. You've got a fever, you're off work, you've got the chills, you're not sure what's wrong with you but maybe you're just fighting off a cold. Cold heart.

that's a cool twist on a classic song. I go heavily in that direction.

I like the 'please don't' repetition but I'm really waiting for some clever deviation from that too. It's a great opportunity to hook them in. During the first sustained syllable in your chorus, i'd love to hear book with teeth in the background vocals singing cold cold heart or somesuch thing. Not support back ups but the hook.

I know this is just a rough draft but I would work overtime on getting a killer groove that just won't quit for this. This, to me, is a groove song. I don't mean a pounding dance floor thing as much is a Sam Jones, Sade, Neto smooth groove that just has barbs at the end of it. Of course while staying true to your Indy/electro roots for sure.

I dig this start.

• Members

The new version, yes, yes, much nicer. I do like that four on the floor.

Vocal "and I......I'm waking up in bed with shakes again (etc)" the first thing my brain said was, "I want some Beach Boy-like harmonies blooming in that section right when you sing the first "I". Arpeggiate the harmony parts coming in, one additional layer on each beat for three beats (and eye......(eye....eye....eye)) Oh, I hear it in my head and it's wonderfulsmiley-happy If not the Beach Boys, then Todd Rundgren.

And that little piano bit at 1:22 right after cold, cold, heart and before "please don't say your love is true" is just perfect. Bring it up in the mix as a big dividing line, make it pop. It's right at the end of your tune, too - yes, make it bright, compress it and maybe layer with a little bitty horn or horn-like synth part (low enough so it doesn't sound midi-ish, but just brightens up and makes the tone richer).

And the synth strings, yes!

I'm liking this song a lot.

nat whilk ii

• Members
The new version, yes, yes, much nicer. I do like that four on the floor.

Vocal "and I......I'm waking up in bed with shakes again (etc)" the first thing my brain said was, "I want some Beach Boy-like harmonies blooming in that section right when you sing the first "I". Arpeggiate the harmony parts coming in, one additional layer on each beat for three beats (and eye......(eye....eye....eye)) Oh, I hear it in my head and it's wonderfulsmiley-happy If not the Beach Boys, then Todd Rundgren.

And that little piano bit at 1:22 right after cold, cold, heart and before "please don't say your love is true" is just perfect. Bring it up in the mix as a big dividing line, make it pop. It's right at the end of your tune, too - yes, make it bright, compress it and maybe layer with a little bitty horn or horn-like synth part (low enough so it doesn't sound midi-ish, but just brightens up and makes the tone richer).

And the synth strings, yes!

I'm liking this song a lot.

nat whilk ii

Nice, thanks, good stuff. I'll think about the vocal 'bloom'...challenge is I'm not writing this for myself but a female singer, so hard to tell what will work untul that's tracked.

You should like the 4 on the floor kick...it was your idea!

• 1 month later...
  • Members

OK, I had a 6-hr flight today (Newark to Orange County) and I forced myself to finish some lyrics, sitting w/ my laptop and rhyming dictionary. Here is verse 2 of this, let me know if it works. Didn't want to mention drinking in yet another song but the line was too good, ha. Feels like I have some good lines, not sure it holds together, let me know, thanks!

(In addition I have a new track plus tweaks to some older ones, stay tuned.)

http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=13119569

"My Cold, Cold Heart"

Please don’t say your love is true

Please stop hanging ‘round and telling me what to do

Please stop lying to my face

Don’t go telling me I haven’t been replaced

please stop chewing on your thumb

Please don’t look at me like I’m the crazy one

and please stop picking up the phone

every time I call, each time I feel alone

Chorus

And I……….. I’m waking up the bed with shakes again

Cause I……….. I’m making all the same mistakes again

cause you know it’s hard

to stay on guard

fighting off a cold, cold heart

my cold, cold heart

why can’t I learn

I always burn

trying to warm a cold, cold heart

my cold, cold heart

Come with me and kill some time

Lose a year and watch the happy world go by

wonder how it all goes wrong?

Watch me feel alive

until the new is gone

Please stop pacing up the floor

Please don’t grab your things and back up towards the door

Please stop beating up the wall

Now you feel just like me

thank you, alcohol

Chorus

Edit: tweaked and re-recorded the lyric, updated comments

• Members
Here is verse 2 of this, let me know if it works. Didn't want to mention drinking in yet another song but the line was too good, ha. Feels like I have some good lines, not sure it holds together, let me know, thanks!

Come with me and kill some time

Lose a year and watch the happy world go by

wonder how it all goes wrong?

Watch me feel alive

until the new is gone

Please stop pacing up the floor

Please don’t grab your things and back up towards the door

Please stop beating up the wall

Now you feel just like me

thank you, alcohol

There are some good lines in the 2nd verse, especially that last one. It's terrific.

"Until the new is gone" is pretty good too. The rest I'm not so sure about. Much of it is confusing; it seems to contradict the dynamic of the first verse and the chorus.

I also have to question the change in subject from "your cold, cold heart" to "my cold, cold heart." I think it makes more sense the other way around.

Also, I would love to hear more '"please don't"s in the 2nd verse.

• Members

Thanks both for feedback.

@OGP that line is *supposed* to be staccato like that, perhaps it doesn't work as well as I think.

There are some good lines in the 2nd verse, especially that last one. It's terrific.

"Until the new is gone" is pretty good too. The rest I'm not so sure about. Much of it is confusing; it seems to contradict the dynamic of the first verse and the chorus.

I also have to question the change in subject from "your cold, cold heart" to "my cold, cold heart." I think it makes more sense the other way around.

Also, I would love to hear more '"please don't"s in the 2nd verse.

Ugh. Yeah it's "my cold heart" because that worked best I think - unreliable narrator who thinks the lover is lying, can't calibrate/gauge his/her feelings. That's the point - "stick with me and be miserable for a year because I always f&*k things up."

I'm mixed on the last line - I love it in isolation, but in context it makes literal what had been figurative (waking up with shakes), and it's not about drinking. So I'm torn.

Thanks again.

• Members
Thanks both for feedback.

Yeah it's "my cold heart" because that worked best I think - unreliable narrator who thinks the lover is lying, can't calibrate/gauge his/her feelings. That's the point - "stick with me and be miserable for a year because I always f&*k things up."

Really? I must be dumb or not paying attention because I didn't get that...

• Members

Really? I must be dumb or not paying attention because I didn't get that...

Well, it was all that plus I wanted to differentiate it from the older Hank Williams song, too. Let me know if it still works for you.

Archived